Dark Shadow (Book 1 in the Or...

By SAMiAMiz

For Gigi Gomez meeting the person you are to spend the rest of your life with is supposed to be an instantane... More

Prologue
One: Recognition
Two: Rejection
Three: The Meeting
Four: A Friendship Crumbled...
Five: ... Is Only the Start
Six: The Audacity
Seven: Pack Visitors
Eight: Confusion
Nine: Force of Nature
Ten: Bittersweet Moments
Eleven: Shadow Man
Twelve: Atonement
Thirteen: Do-Over
Fourteen: One Small Snag...
Fifteen: Sweet Family Moments
Seventeen: Heartfelt Confession & First Time
Eighteen: The Last Straw
Nineteen: Unnecessary Despair
Twenty: Love, Unconditionally
Twenty-One: The Quail Wolf is Revealed
Twenty-Two: Noble Sacrifice
Twenty-Three: Forest Revelations
Twenty-Four: Ridge's Bold Move
Twenty-Five: Alpha Blood Vs Warrior Blood
Twenty-Six: The Calm Before the Storm
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Storm
Twenty-Eight: The Nightmare
Twenty-Nine: A Raging Fire
Thirty: Iota
Thirty-One: Carpe Diem
Thirty-Two: Connection
Thirty-Three: Traitor
Thirty-Four: Back to Square One
Thirty-Five: Death Sentence
Thirty-Six: Like Poison
Thirty-Seven: Fair Warning
Thirty-Eight: Her Downfall
Thirty-Nine: Gigi's Choice
Forty: Madilynn's Return
Forty-One: Nigel
Forty-Two: Queen of Darkness
Forty-Three: When She Awakens...
Forty-Four: ... A Queen Will Rise
Forty-Five: Prophetic Threat
Forty-Six: Bittersweet Revelation
Forty-Seven: The Only One
Forty-Eight: One Last Night
Epilogue: This Isn't Goodbye
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Sixteen: ... Unravels the Thread

1.6K 64 14
By SAMiAMiz

.დ.❧.

The dance had already started when we arrived.

Everyone we passed nodded their heads and gave us congratulations on the mate recognition between my sister and Sawyer. My sister was already scanning the crowd for him and I was too. When I found him by the table with all the food, stuffing his face with a sandwich, I pointed him out and Cece ran over to him.

Sawyer dropped his sandwich in the process of catching my sister when she had thrown herself into his arms. He laughed when Cece began giving him pecked kisses along his jaw. I smiled to myself, feeling so happy for my sister.

Beside me, Wade nudged me if I was going to be alright if he went to talk to some of his friends. I nodded, patting him on the arm then he walked off. My parents had disappeared in the process of our arrival so I assumed Dad went to find the alpha to report in. 

Cody also was gone the minute we arrived. He gave me a silent look when he saw his group of friends calling him over. They were already on the dance floor, busting some odd moves with a few girls. I gave my little brother an encouraging nod and I placed my finger to my lips, winking at him. Cody beamed, running off to meet up with Mark and a few other boys. 

I clasped my hands together in front of me, walking around the Square and grinned to myself when hearing so many of the party-goers admiring the walls I painted my mural on. They were talking about it and some taking pictures beside it. It made me feel proud that my work was appreciated even if they had no idea I did it. They were admiring pieces of Carmel in my own version and I couldn't ask for more.

I was weaving through the crowd, giggling at some children scurrying by with cake on their mouths and screaming happily on their sugar rush. It wasn't until I made my second round around the Square that Eden popped up with a smile.

"Girl, I've been looking everywhere for you!" she smiled, hugging me before congratulating me about my sister. 

"Thanks! It's so beautiful here!" I shouted over the loud music, pointing out the twinkling white Christmas lights that were weaved across the open air above us. The ceiling was left open again and it just made the lights illuminate more. There were tables covered in white and red table cloths with floral center pieces that I was sure Mom was going to try and take home with her. Dad might have to convince her to take only one or two. 

"You look so pretty, Gigi!" Eden looked at me. 

I held out the skirt of the dress, smiling my thanks and told her that I felt pretty. I complimented her on the green velvet dress that had a black bow belt around the middle. She had her hair down as always with a pair of hoop earrings on her ears.

"Come on!" Eden took hold of my hand, saying that she wanted something to drink.

We made our way across the dance floor as a short cut then made it to the table where I could see Cece and Sawyer seated at a table with my parents. She waved at me, a wide smile on her face, and I waved back. 

Eden passed me a cup of punch and I sipped away after clinking my cup with hers. We were standing there, enjoying our own company and I told Eden about the mural that I worked on. She was impressed, saying that she'd seen it earlier with her parents and they took pictures like it was a prom. We laughed, enjoying ourselves when something just had to ruin it.

"Gigi...?"

I spun around, wide eyed at Molly standing there with her parents. They looked at me with smiles and I nodded my head respectfully before looking back at Molly. She was admiring my dress and I would be lying if i didn't say I liked the look of envy on her face. 

With her expensive taste, Molly had on a backless red dress and her blonde hair was in a wave to one side of her head. She had on a sparkling diamond bracelet on her right wrist that I was sure was new. Much to my displeasure, I spotted the diamond ring that symbolized the engagement between her and Ridge. It just soured my mood a bit remembering that tonight I had to hold back on seeing Molly with Ridge.

Did she know about us? I wouldn't put it past Molly to pull something if she knew about Ridge and I, and tried to start trouble. I was going to have to hone my emotions in, for sure.

"Hello, Molly," I nodded politely. Beside me, Eden grumbled under breath and I discreetly nudged her. 

Molly blinked a few times from admiring my dress and then shook her head when she lifted her attention back to me. 

"I, uh, wasn't expecting to see you here."

I frowned, craning my neck forward and raised a brow. "It's my sister's celebratory party..." 

Molly's blue eyes twinkled, grinning that she knew that but that she thought it would be so painful for me to be around everyone so happy. Herself included. She made it a point to show me the hand with the engagement ring and I bit back a growl. 

Pulling myself together, I forced a smile and I assured Molly that tonight was about my sister, not me or anyone else. I gave her pointed look, biting out that unlike most people, I truly loved to see others have their rightful happy ending. 

We stared at one another and I think Molly's parents felt the tension as they excused themselves. Eden stood beside me, annoyed that Molly disregarded her as usual. But then just quickly, Molly's cheerful facade returned.

She laughed a little, touching my hand and squeezing it a bit tight. Molly said that I was 'such a dear' and that the real reason she wanted to find me was because Molly wanted to introduce me to someone. Before I could protest, Molly grabbed my wrist after taking my punch and handing it to Eden. 

My friend frowned, staring at the cup but yelped when I took her hand and hauled her with me. Molly dragged me along, cutting through the dance floor, across the way to where the two alphas were conversing with a few others.

My body tensed up when I recognized the back of Ridge. I groaned internally.

When we stopped in front of the alphas, they both turned. Alpha Wilson raised a brow while Alpha Beaumont smiled at me. Molly bowed her head, followed by Eden and I before Molly smiled, "Alpha Wilson, I'd like you to meet one of the best friends a girl could ask for!"

I looked at Eden, raising my brows as if asking, 'Is she referring to me?' which made her smile behind her hand.

My eyes shifted back and accidentally caught gazes with Ridge. Big mistake. His green eyes stared at me for a long time, dragging downward then back up at my face before swallowing. He looked so handsome in his suit and bow tie and his hair gelled to the side. The sophisticated look suited him---no pun intended.

Neither of us had opportunity to speak about the alpha's decision to carry on the relationship with Ridge and Molly. I wasn't sure if the alpha told Ridge of my compliance or if Ridge was going blind in this. Either way, seeing him made my breath hitch because he just looked so damn delicious and it took everything in me to not leap over and kiss him. That would've been awkward.

Molly had been speaking all this time and I shook my head, turning to her when I heard her mention my name.

"---wondering if you could tell me where Nikko was, Alpha Wilson? I think Gigi here would be the perfect match for him!"

My throat tightened and I stared wide eyed at first, Molly, then switch to the visiting alpha. His blue eyes were studying me from where he stood. The way he was looking at me gave me a strange feeling. It was uncomfortable. 

I swallowed, nodding my head in a respectful bow and muttered, "Alpha..."

Alpha Wilson raised a brow, glancing at Alpha Beaumont when he said, "This is the Gomez girl... the one you say is the other daughter of your lead Warrior?"

My alpha beamed, nodding that I was and that I had potential of becoming a Warrior as my dad one day, along with my siblings. The alpha then gestured to the Square mural and announced how I was the one who did a remarkable job of making the Square look so much more presentable.

Molly, being Molly, raised a brow and scrunched her nose that if the alpha wanted a mural done, Molly knew a few people who were astounding. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Eden did not.

My alpha grinned with a small nod that even if Molly had connections, the alpha was perfectly capable with finding someone to get the job done. Alpha Beaumont made it a point to inform Molly that he sought out me for the job because of how much his wife admired my artwork. 

"Gigi has always been someone Laura holds dear to her heart," Alpha Beaumont smiled.

It was oddly satisfying to see Molly's forced smile. She gave a small shrug and flipped her hair off her shoulder. 

"Hm..." The other alpha hummed and when I looked at him, Alpha Wilson was still eyeing me as he lifted his drink to his lips. His blue gaze was like frost bite as they peered at me over the rim of the glass. I squinted at him a bit, getting that uncomfortable vibe from him again. 

We suddenly heard, "Father!" from the side and then turned just as a tall and lanky young man with brown hair and the same frosty colored eyes as his father.

Alpha Wilson straightened, his chest puffed out as he nodded and held a hand in his son's direction. "Ah! There you are, Son! Come, come! I have someone to introduce you to!" He hugged his son from the side. 

The alpha grinned as he directed to us--while looking right at me, "Young ladies, this is my son, Nikko. Nikko, say hello!"

Nikko, frowning at his dad from the side muttered to be released. When his father gave him a pointed look, brows raised, Nikko then huffed a 'hello' before looking at us and then landed on me. I raised my brows the way stared, his eyes squinting a little---like he was curious. 

My face felt hot from his stare and he seemed to notice because Nikko grinned a bit. I broke away from Nikko's mused look because of the low growl coming from my right. I looked to Ridge; his eyes already narrowed on Nikko who wasn't paying any attention. 

Returning my attention to the new boy when his dad suddenly suggested that Nikko take me out for a dance, I raised my shoulders, mumbling quickly that I wasn't the best dancer. I blushed, glancing at Molly who smirked because she damn well knew this was true. 

Alpha Wilson huffed a chuckle, shaking his head. He was already handing his son his drink as he told me, "Nonsense, my dear. I will show you how it is done before passing you onto my son. Come."

He held out his hand to me and I stared at it for a second before looking at my alpha. Alpha Beaumont lowered his chin, giving me a pleading look and I took a deep breath while placing my hand into Alpha Wilson's. His hand closed around mine and he led me to the center of the dance floor, taking hold of my waist and keeping my other hand in his. 

We swayed side to side in a circle. I was nervous around this man, but not the way that Ridge made me feel. I didn't like being near Alpha Wilson. I didn't understand why. I just knew I wanted to be as far away as I could.

"You certainly are beautiful, Miss Gomez," the alpha complimented, his gaze lingering too long on my face.

"Th---thank you."

His frosty eyes studied me and questioned if I was really the only other daughter to the Gomez name. I nodded that I was, and the alpha hummed, moving us in a circle once more. The alpha and I spoke little after that, just kept dancing and I was begging mentally for the song to end. 

I would have kissed the heavens if I could when I heard someone say, "May I cut in, Alpha Wilson?"

The voice made me stiffen in the alpha's arms and he noticed. Alpha Wilson gave me an odd glance and then turned, releasing me from his hold. 

The alpha grinned, raising a brow as he mused, "Of course, Ridge. But your future bride doesn't mind you spending a few moments away with such a lovely creature?"

Ridge's jaw tightened, staring the alpha in the eye as he shook his head. He said that Molly was a bit preoccupied at the moment with talking about the wedding preparations with everyone. So no, she wouldn't mind.

Alpha Wilson nodded his head then glanced at me once more before taking his leave through the crowd. 

I swallowed as I stared after him. Why did I get a bad feeling from that man? He was no good, I can tell and it was worrisome. I might have to tell Dad about the alpha later on tonight or maybe wait until tomorrow.

My thoughts were cut short when Ridge's hand came into view from the corner of my eyes. I turned, looking at the way those green eyes took me in. He gave a small bow as he held his hand still out to me. 

"May I have this dance, Gianna?" 

I stared at his hand when I was able to tear away from those sparkling gems. My throat felt tight and the nerves in my chest and stomach were going crazy. My heart fluttered at being so close to Ridge and I bit my lip, raising a hand to place into his waiting one.

Ridge pulled me in, his hand resting on the small of my back and kept my other hand in his. He stepped closer, our chests almost touching. His gaze lingered on mine and I couldn't really hear the music as loud as before. It was still playing, just faded in the background, kind of like everyone else here.

We swayed from side to side, our eyes locked as I followed his lead around the dance floor. There was one moment that Ridge surprised me by spinning me outward and then back into his chest, closer this time that I was pressed against him.

The Beta's voice was low, muttering to me that I looked absolutely stunning. We stared at one another again before I stammered out a thank you. Ridge gave a small grin, eyes twinkling. 

"Do I make you nervous, Gianna?" he asked. 

I licked my lips, letting out a small laugh and I blushed, shrugging a shoulder that I couldn't help it. That it was hard not to be nervous around him. Ridge grinned wider, nodding in agreement and assured me that he was feeling the same. He said that the moment he saw me, Ridge's breath was cut short. 

"I might not show it," Ridge raised a brow, tilting his head. "But the moment you looked at me, I wasn't sure if I'd catch my breath again."

My cheeks felt hot, my gaze lowering as I smiled, biting my lip. Peering through my lashes up at the Beta, I timidly replied, "If we weren't surrounded by everyone... I'd kiss you, Ridge Beaumont."

A small pleased growl rumbled out of his chest and I shivered a little; forcing myself to not do so with others around. But the Beta whispered, "Don't tempt me, Gianna." which made me smile.

Ridge and I danced away, me getting so lost in those beautiful eyes of his. My heart pounded loudly. He whispered how sorry he was not being able to join me yesterday at the Square. He wanted to see the final product with me. 

I nodded that it was alright, and that he had to abide by what his dad decided with tonight's event. Just as I had to abide by the alpha too. Ridge didn't say anything, just continued swaying me around the dance floor. He looked annoyed, probably because of what he was being expected to playing the part of doting fiance. 

As the music that had been so faded began to become clear again, I realized the Beta's face getting closer to mine, and I slightly moved towards him too. Something in the back of my mind halted me, reminding me where I was and then whispered, "Ridge...?"

"Yeah?" he whispered back.

I glanced at his lips, then back up at him. "We've stopped dancing."

Ridge frowned a moment, looking at how we, indeed, had stopped dancing and we were just standing in the middle of the Square while others danced around us. I took that opportunity to step back, pulling my hands from his person and took a deep breath.

"Uh, if... If you'll excuse me." I turned away, only for Ridge to grab my hand. I looked at it caught in his then up to him.

We stared at one another and Ridge opened his mouth to say something but someone spoke first.

"Am I interrupting something?"

Ridge's face darkened, his green eyes looking behind me with narrowed eyes and I turned around, pulling my hand away at the same time. 

Nikko raised a brow at me as I bowed my head in respect of the other Beta. The Were grinned, giving a small nod in appreciation. His gaze lifted over my head, probably at Ridge, then met my eyes again. He did a small nod to the side, asking if I'd join him in a short walk since dancing was not really his forte. 

Nikko had his hands stuffed in his pockets and grinned, "Only if you want to, of course."

I swallowed, looking over his shoulder at where the alphas were in discussion with some pack members. Alpha Beaumont was already looking my way and raised a brow in a silent reminder of what my part tonight was. Internally I sighed, disappointed that this dance with Ridge was the only I'd be having tonight. 

I gave a small nod in the alpha's direction before turning to Nikko and nodded that a walk sounded nice. 

Nikko grinned, "Great. Come on." and began to turn away. 

Looking over my shoulder at Ridge, he watched me through a frown. His green eyes unable to tear from mine. I wanted to tell him this was how it had to be---for now---but that would make everything more suspicious. 

Instead, I just bowed my head and thanked him for the dance before heading over to where Nikko was waiting at the end of the dance floor. He offered his elbow and I grinned, thanking him as I looped my hand around it.  

We spent the rest of the party walking around the perimeter. Every now and then we would head back into the Square for something to drink or to grab a few snacks that we'd enjoy on our continued walk. 

By the end of the night, Nikko and I got to know one another on a more personal level. It was so easy to talk to him, surprisingly. Kind of like how easy it was to talk to Wade or even Sawyer. The Beta certainly was charming; grinning a certain way that I was sure attracted females from where he was from. 

He shared with me his passions for music and art but they weren't very appreciated by his dad, but that his mom used to encourage him with such loves before she passed from an attack on their pack some years back.

I may not have found Nikko attractive in a romantic manner, but I did like him. He seemed misunderstood and I could definitely see him as a friend. I had told him that if he was up for it, I would like to hang out with him sometime soon. That perhaps he'd like to spend some time with Eden and I before he went back home. 

Nikko smiled, nodding that he'd like that very much. He bent, kissing my cheek and bid me goodnight before catching up with his dad who crossed the street with the alpha and his wife, and Molly's parents. Molly was chatting away to her future mother-in-law and I smiled at the uncomfortable expression on Mrs. Beaumont's face. 

"Where were you?" came from behind me.

I whipped around, blinking at Ridge's concerned scowl. I glanced up to see his hair stuck out at odd angles as though he'd been running his fingers through it. When I replied I had been in the company of Nikko all night, Ridge looked over my head across the street and then back down at me. 

The Beta's nose scrunched, wincing before he swallowed and asked, "Do... Do you like him?" 

Pursing my mouth to the side, I frowned, nodding that I did. I told Ridge that Nikko seemed very kind and that I found him beautiful in a misunderstood kind of way. 

Ridge's jaw slanted to the side before taking hold of my hand and hauling me to the side of the Square where the brick wall was hidden in the shadows.

"What are you doing?!" I cried. "Ridge! Ridge, someone's going to see!"

The Beta pinned me up against the wall, resting his forehead against mine. He shut his eyes and he breathed out slowly. I was stiff from the position I was in, and glanced around to make sure that we weren't going to get caught by those passing by. All I needed was to be caught up in some scandal with the future Alpha of Carmel.

Ridge shook his head, standing back but was grasping my hand. "I'm sorry! I know we're not supposed to be together right now... But I can't---can't get you out of my head! Seeing you tonight and then the week we spent together..."

I widened my eyes, stepping away from him and shook my head. "Stop it..."

"I can't, Gianna... I can't stop what I'm feeling! It's---It's mending! The bond is mending and I can't help that! I don't want to help it!"

With Alpha blood in his veins, Ridge was in the ranking of Werewolves who did things on impulse. Him saying all this about the severed bond now mending back together could be a problem. His wolf side has more will power to maintain control, however, if both the human and wolf decide that they no longer can withstand being kept from what they wanted, what they felt was theirs, it would be disastrous.

If Ridge claimed me, Alpha Beaumont's plan would go to shit and I couldn't allow that because I had to think about my family!

I slapped my hands over my ears and shook my head. Squeezing my eyes shut, I snapped, "Stop it!" but Ridge pulled a hand from my head and pleaded for me to listen to him.

"Why?! Why should I listen to you?!" My worry was turning into frustration. "You are acting out on your emotions, Ridge! Don't you understand what can happen if Alpha Wilson or the pack finds out about us sooner than intended? How the pack's reaction could give Alpha Wilson a chance to strike at your father's vulnerability?!"

Ridge frowned, narrowing his eyes. "You make it sound like I'm the only one who has feelings here, Gianna! Is that what you are telling me? That---That what I feel for you is one-sided?"

"Of course not!"

"So then why should we have to hide anymore? I want to tell them! I will deal with the consequences but I just want to be with you!"

Turning away, I shook my head, grumbling that he was not thinking straight. That his emotions were high because his wolf side was feeling territorial. Ridge growled that he had every right to be. I whipped around, narrowing my eyes that I was not a trophy. That I was a person!

"I know that!" Ridge argued. 

"Then stop acting like you own me! I can hang out with whoever I want, Ridge! Or did you forget that to everyone else, we are not together! We are not mates! You are engaged!"

I told Ridge that all of this wasn't fair for us but then I might have hit him where it hurts when I frowned and growled, "This wouldn't be so difficult if you hadn't chosen her over me."

Ridge's neck craned back as though I'd slapped him. His eyes wide and staring blankly at me. 

My face felt hot as I huffed out a small breath. I raked my fingers through my hair and shook my head, looking away and muttered that I needed to go. I glanced at Ridge, seeing him lower his gaze from mine. His brows furrowed, jaw clenching. It clenched more when I sighed that maybe, for now, until we got all this sorted, that Ridge needed to stay away from me like his father wanted.

I waited for him to say something but the Beta just stood there. 

Ridge just frowned, staring off to the side until giving me a stiff nod before muttering, "Fine then. If that's what you want."

It wasn't what I wanted. It was what his father wanted. I was just playing the part given to me. According to the pack, I was nothing to Ridge other than another pack member. That's it. And I know it hurts Ridge to be away from me just as much as it pains me but I can't be selfish. This was the good of the pack as well as for the safety of my family. I wish I could tell Ridge that but I couldn't. Not yet.

Ridge was the one who stomped out from where we were hidden. The angry fumes came off him in waves and I stood at the edge of the wall, watching as the Beta crossed the street to where his family and Molly's was. He stood beside his father, posture tense. 

I bit my lip, brows quirked at Molly turning to smile up at him. She reached up to turn his face to her and Ridge frowned when she was closing in. She only kissed his cheek because his face turned away to something his father said, but the way his arm snaked around Molly's waist made my stomach clench. 

He was angry with me. I know that. But this was just as frustrating for me as it was for him. Why couldn't he get that?

"Miss Gomez," Alpha Wilson appeared suddenly. Wasn't he across the street earlier?

I blinked, standing out of the shadows and into better lighting. The alpha eyed me in that creepy way older men preyed on younger females. It was nauseating. But I wanted to remain respectful and nodded, "Alpha Wilson, what can I do for you?"

The alpha squinted, staring again before he spoke. He wondered out loud whether I was someone special to the alpha family. I frowned, tilting my head and shook my head that I didn't understand. 

Alpha Wilson's eyes glanced across the way where Molly was now wrapping her arms around Ridge's neck. I looked away to the alpha, biting back the ache in my chest. We both had this silent stare down before the alpha bid me adieu. 

"Have a good night... Miss Gomez," he said, eyeing me again and then headed across the street to stand by his son.

I let out a long breath. I didn't realize I was holding my breath so long. My hand rested over my chest, feeling how fast my heart raced and I sighed, shutting my eyes. This whole plan of the alpha's was going to be way harder than I thought it would be.

.დ.❧..დ.❧..დ.❧.

Xoxo Always,

SAMiAMiz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 169 28
A dream leads Layla Irving to her true mate. This is so shitty. Read at your own risk. -I'm bad at summaries, but I tried. -Some of the storylines...
590K 27.7K 101
*Long Listed for Wattys 2018* E-Awards 2017 Winner *Best Hooked Story * *COMPLETED* Life, love, hate and betrayal. Four words. ...
29.1M 941K 58
An Abnormality. That is what Nicolette is. A monster that has to be kept hidden from the world. A witch. A vampire. A werewolf. All in one person...
2 0 3
BOOK ONE *Completed* Zoey Cooper's life changes dramatically when she learns that werewolves are real. Not only are they real... but her best friend...