𝐒𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐬 𝐅𝐥𝐲, lab rats...

By itiswhatitisboi

" ι'м no longer ѕυrprιѕed anyмore" нe ѕнooĸ нιѕ нead. "yoυ need тo ѕтop pυѕнιng yoυrѕelғ away ғroм people" ┊... More

epigraph
✼ ҉ 1 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 2 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 3 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 5 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 6 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 7 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 8 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 9 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 10 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 11 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 12 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 13 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 14 ҉ ✼
✼ ҉ 15 ҉ ✼

✼ ҉ 4 ҉ ✼

3.3K 94 25
By itiswhatitisboi

╔══ஓ๑°❈°๑ஓ══╗

"Help me!" Donald urged from the stone head he dangled dangerously from.

"Hang on, Mr. Davenport!" Kaz called down to him, gripping the terrace edge. He turned to Chase, "Speaking of which, what is he hanging onto?"

"Uh, that would be a Daven-head." Chase explained.

"He put a giant bust of his own head on the building?"

Chase scoffed. "No. The Daven-head came first. He built the tower to support it."

"I knew he had a big head, but I never thought it would save his life." Kaz said.

Donald shouted up at the boys. "I heard that, new guy!"

Kaz turned to his best friend. "Hey, Oliver, I think that we should change the name of your Cyclone Fingers to Irresponsible Wind of Doom."

Oliver frowned. "I thought it was perfected and so did he." He motioned to Chase.

Chase backed up, defensively saying, "Whoa, don't rope me into this. I'm still trying to figure out you super freaks." He gestured between the two boys.

"I hate to interrupt, but could one of you heroes get down here and save me?!" Donald Davenport exclaimed.

"Can you pull yourself to the top of the head?" Chase asked.

Donald shook his head, "I can't get a foot hold. It's too slippery. My face is too perfect."

"Okay, I'll be right down." Chase retreated from the ledge saying, "Wait, what am I saying? You two can fly. Get down there and save him." He paused. "On second thought, why don't you go?" He pointed to Kaz.

"Why not me?" Oliver asked.

"No offense, but I don't trust you with your own life. But if Mr. Davenport needs a cold beverage, you'll be the first person I call." Chase patted Oliver's shoulder.

Kaz nodded, gripping the stone edge, about ready to fly down. "I got this."

"No." Oliver put his arm in front of him. "I got this."

"Actually, I can still hear you and my vote's on Kaz, or Chase even though he can't fly." Mr D added, his voice carrying a weight of worry.

"Don't worry, Mr. Davenport! I'm coming to save you!" Oliver called and hopped over the terrace and flew down wildly. "Ahh! Ahh!" He landed on the Daven-head, facing the older man holding on for his life. "Sorry. Still working on the landings." Oliver winced. His gaze flickered between the stone and the man in front of him, "You know what's weird? You both look equally disappointed in me."

"We are!" Donald Davenport cried firmly.

Meanwhile, Bree peeked out from elevator and allowed a small smile to grace her lips as she sighed softly. "Lost her. Finally."

"Ahh!" Skylar voiced out as she fell down from ceiling. "Gotcha!"

Bree stood up from being tackled by Skylar. "Okay, you know what? That's it!" She flipped Skylar onto the floor and pinned her down.

"Ow! Ow! Ow!" Skylar cried and got up, wearing a faint scowl. "That really hurt!" Her scowl changed to a grin, "Nice."

"No, not nice." Bree snapped. "Skylar, I can't do this anymore."

"Bree, we're heroes. 'Can't' isn't in our vocabulary." She smiled and suddenly bounced on the balls of her feet, suggesting, "Let's rumble."

"No." Bree sighed. "Okay, look, this might be the way you do things on your planet, but here, sisters don't throttle each other to show their love. We do it by pretending to be nice and then talking behind each other's backs."

"Oh. Well, I've been doing that too. Bree, I'm sorry, but I told you, this is all really new to me. The city, having a sister.."

"It's okay. I get it. This is all new to me too. That's why we're lucky to have each other, so that we can figure it all out together... but I can't do that if you're piledriving me into the floor!"

"Well, why didn't you just say something?" Skylar questioned.

"Oh. I'm sorry. Were my screams too subtle?" Bree retorted.

"Okay. From now on, no more physical violence."

Bree sighed. "Thank you."

"Except once a week?" Skylar pleaded.

"No." Bree said shortly.

"Once a month?"

"Not a chance."

"Holidays?"

"Fine." Bree relented.

Skylar smiled. "Great." She said and thus punched Bree in her stomach.

Bree folded over, clutching her gut. "Ow! What was that for?"

"Happy Flag Day, sis."

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

"Any chance you could move your hand over a litte bit?"

Donald faked a smile, "Oh, yeah... and right after that, I'll just plummet to my death!" He exclaimed, and risked a glance below then studied Oliver. "You can fly. Why aren't you saving us?"

Oliver shook his head. "I keep messing up. What if I do it again, and one of us dies?"

"Well, if you're talking about me, that would be a tragedy of epic worldwide porportions."

"What about me?"

"If this was about you, we would be hanging onto a giant bust of your head." The older man snapped.

Kaz peered over the terrace alongside Chase. "Why isn't Oliver saving him? All right, well, I better fly down there and get him."

Chase held out his arm, halting him. "Wait, don't!"

Kaz nodded, "Ah. You inherit the old man's building and bank account if he splats? Say no more." Kaz waved it off and began in the direction of the penthouse.

Chase turned to him. "No. Oliver needs to save Mr. Davenport himself. The reason he's having trouble with his powers is because he's insecure. You're outshining him and it's getting into his head."

"Wait. Okay, so he's intimidated because I'm so good at it?"

Chase nodded. "Yes."

Kaz raised his eyebrows. "Oh. Well, you know, I hate to say it, but I may need another superpower just to rain in all this awesome."

Ignoring him, Chase continued. "The more you succeed, the more it shines a light on the fact that Oliver is struggling. And the only way for him to get over that is to make him feel like he can do it. So we're gonna let him save Mr. Davenport."

"Well, alrighty then. Let's go make some popcorn and see how this trainwreck turns out." Kaz grinned almost wickedly.

Walking into the kitchen, Alex's gaze rested on Kaz. "What's the commotion? And what's the popcorn for? Is it movie night already?"

Kaz shook his head. "Oliver and Mr D are hanging from a stone Davenport head, clinging on for their lives. Wanna come watch?"

Alex furrowed her eyebrows at him. "Shouldn't you- oh, I don't know, maybe be trying to save them? You can fly right?"

"Yeah but apparently I'm too amazing at being a superhero and it's making Oliver feel bad."

Alex stifled a chuckle but noticed Kaz's expression which was blank as he stuffed popcorn in his mouth. "Oh you're serious, okay. Really? That must be a first. You know, you succeeding and all."

Kaz shrugged it off. "Yeah, anyways, that's what Chase told me to do so I'm making some popcorn to eat while we see how this turns out."

"Well in that case, count me in." Alex smiled.

On Daven-head, the air was growing more tense as minutes passed.

"Oh, great!" Oliver groaned.

"What?"

"I'm starting to get chilly." Oliver answered Mr D.

Donald Davenport rolled his eyes. "It's official. You are the worst superhero ever."

Suddenly, the Daven-head started to crack under the weight of the two of them.

"Ah! Your face is cracking!" Oliver exclaimed.

Donald raised his eyebrows and turned his head, "Forehead or cheekbones?"

Oliver shook his head grant. "Not you! The Daven-head! Our weight must be pulling it off the base."

"No. Your weight is pulling it off the base. I was doing fine until you got here!" Donald argued and the Daven-head cracked again. "Would you do something?"

"Oh, I know exactly what to do." Oliver looked up, "Kaz! Help!" He whined.

Kaz looked back down at them from sitting on terrace edge. "I'm sorry, buddy. There's no way I could carry both of you."

Chase smiled as he ate popcorn. "Nice. That excuse sounds pretty believable."

Kaz glanced at Chase and flickered between the bionic and Alex. "Actually, it's the truth. I just realized Oliver's the only one with super strength. I couldn't save him if I wanted to."

Alex stuffed a handful of popcorn in her mouth, her face shocked. "Woah, plot twist."

"Wait, so Mr. Davenport's life is really in Oliver's hands?" Chase asked, his voice showing his nerves only slightly. But his face was struggling to hide his fear.

Kaz shoved some more popcorn in his mouth. "Yeah."

Alex slowly nodded along, her eyes showing a glint of vague horror. "His wet, slippery, ice cubey hands."

Oliver asked Mr Davenport, "What are we gonna do?"

Donald hesitated before coming to the conclusion, "I'm sure Chase will come up with something."

"And what if he doesn't?"

"Well then, I guess we're gonna die!" Donald answered. Suddenly the Daven-head began to crack even more. "I'm too young to die!" The older man cried.

"I'm too young to die." Oliver corrected him, glancing at Donald. "You're just about the right age."

Donald shot the boy a glare just as the structure continued to crack more. "Ohh, we're running out of time." He looked at the awkward superhero. "Oliver, you have to do something. You're the only one who can save us."

"You're right." Oliver nodded. It was as if he was convincing himself to believe the older man's words. Oliver looked down below them at the bustling streets of the city. "And fall."

Oliver let go, dropping in the direction of the pavement.

"Oliver!" Mr D screamed and fell off of the head too.

But suddenly and certainly surprisingly, Oliver flew up, gripping Donald by his belt.

"I'm flying! Yeah!" Donald cheered, seeming to ignore the way he was being carried.

Using his super strength and ability to fly, Oliver landed the two of them on the terrace.

"Wait, was he.." Alex pointed at them, her trailing question directed towards Chase and Kaz.

"Yep." Chase said, almost stifling a laugh causing Alex to smirk.

"Hey, I did it! I'm a hero!" Oliver smiled.

"Yeah, but, uh, next time you save a guy, pick a better hand hold." Donald grimaced, seeming extremely uncomfortable.

"Sorry," Oliver apologized with a wince. "It was tough to get a grip with all your shifting shapes."

Alex grimaced but proceeded to laugh. Irony.

Kaz leaned closer to Alex, saying to her and Chase, "I can't believe he came through."

"Yeah I did not expect this ending." Alex nodded slowly in agreement.

"Hey!" Oliver protested in defense, sounding offended.

"Oh, sorry. I mean, uh... yeah, I can't believe you came through." Kaz said, not bothering to try and retract his words.

"Yeah, I mean.." Alex started but shook her head as she chuckled softly. "Yeah, nah, who am I kidding? I most definitely thought you were doomed."

"Just out of curiosity, what was your backup plan in case Oliver here didn't save me?" Donald Davenport questioned.

"Preserve your real Daven-head in the name of science." Chase tried with a smile.

Kaz stifled a laugh, smiling with a jab over his shoulder, "I was, uh, I was gonna get a spatula and meet you down at the sidewalk."

Alex laughed, "Yeah, that."

Donald fake laughs. "Hilarious. I'm leaving everything to Bree." He pointed at Chase and left to go inside.

Chase proceeded to walk over to Oliver. "I'm proud of you, Oliver." He placed a hand almost proudly on the awkward superhero's shoulder.

"Thanks." Oliver smiled. "Oh, and by the way, you were right. Once I stopped worrying about Kaz and started believing in myself, everything came together."

"Hey, you really stepped up when it mattered... and that's part of being a hero no one can teach. Well, except me." Chase grinned and proceeded to head indoors.

Alex rolled her eyes as she trailed the bionic. "You've gotta be like, one of the most self-absorbed guys I know."

"I'll take that as a compliment." Chase peeked at her almost sheepishly.

Alex sighed. "Great, now I'm bored.." She nudged Chase. "Wanna play with the tech in mission command?"

"Uh.. Do you have to even ask?" The bionic said a bit too giddily.

Kaz watched the duo head back inside and glimpsed at his best friend, putting on a smile. "Congrats, bud. I guess we're both good at this superhero thing."

Oliver nodded. "Yeah." He watched Kaz eat a piece of popcorn. "Were you eating popcorn while I was hanging off the edge of the building?"

Kaz glanced at the popcorn bucket on edge of terrace, then back at Oliver. "Uh, yeah."

"Well, did you at least save some for me?"

"Uh, no. I thought you were gonna fall." Kaz chuckled and went to go inside.

✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼

The Elite Force entered the penthouse. They were laughing at a joke Kaz had said and Alex felt Kaz's body rumble with laughter from his arm being slung around her shoulder. The group stopped in their tracks at the sight in the living room.

Skylar cocked her head and spoke first. "Hey, Mr. Davenport."

Donald turned around and the teens saw the man sporting a mask on his face. "Oh, hey guys!" He greeted casually.

Skylar grimaced. "Eww!" She pointed at Mr Davenport, disgust written across her face as the others mirrored her expression. "Okay, I'm from another planet, and I've never seen anything that weird."

"Preach," Alex agreed with a raised finger.

Bree shook her head and fake gagged, "I'm gonna Daven-puke."

Alex laughed at the two girls, which helped hide the fact that she wanted keel over from laughing so hard at Mr D.

"All right." Donald said exasperatedly, letting them have at it with their mocks.

Chase leaned closer to them. "And to think, we could've just let him fall."

"Ha, ha," Donald sarcastically laughed.

Chase finally decided to ask why and what Mr Davenport was wearing. "What's going on?"

"He's making a mold of my face to replace to broken Daven-head."

"Wait," Oliver held up a hand before pointing a finger at him. "If they're only doing your head—"

Alex proceeded for him, understanding what he was thinking, "—Then why are you wearing that outfit?"

Donald gestured to himself. "Because I look great in it."

Alex glanced him over. "You must need a new mirror or something, dude." She shrugged. "Maybe just a reality check would do."

Kaz chuckled as he shifted himself and said softly to Alex and Oliver. "Do we have any any superpower that can make me unsee this?"

Donald shook his head as the kids treaded upstairs, trying not to burst into uncomfortable laughter and attempted to force the burning image of Mr Davenport out of their heads.

╚══ஓ๑°❈°๑ஓ══╝

sorry it took ages to publish this chapter, i've been super busy! anyways, let me know your guys' thoughts, i love getting to hear from you guys.

feeling constantly tired,
al

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

285K 3.2K 13
❝𝐵𝐸𝑆𝑇 𝑇𝐻𝐼𝑁𝐺𝑆 𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑃𝐸𝑁 𝑈𝑁𝐸𝑋𝑃𝐸𝐶𝑇𝐸𝐷.❞ 𝑨 𝒏𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒍 𝒈𝒊𝒓𝒍 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒃𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒊𝒄 𝒔𝒊𝒃𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈�...
7.2K 135 57
~Book Dedication~ It could take some time for you to realize you love someone, but enjoy the rollercoaster. It will be the best love story for your f...
80.8K 1.5K 17
Y/N moves to the bionic island from England when she discovers her abilities. She instantly clicks with Adam, Bree and Chase but one in particular. ...
48.3K 1.9K 37
"What can I say? I like seeing you struggle."- "Can't wait for the moment I beat your ass with a stick." Jordyn had no idea that befriending the love...