Dually Devoted ✓

Oleh playingwithinfinity

"Why don't you understand? I want you to be happy, you fool." **** On the surface, Arpita was a calm, smart... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Chapter 1
CHAPTER 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
CHAPTER 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
CHAPTER 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
CHAPTER 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
CHAPTER 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
CHAPTER 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
CHAPTER 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
CHAPTER 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
CHAPTER 34
Chapter 35
Epilogue

Chapter 8

3.7K 202 7
Oleh playingwithinfinity

After the waitress showed them their table and left them with a menu each, Arpita's eyes started to wander around, her fingers not leaving her hair, as she nervously played with them. She observed the dim lighting and glamorous decor of the place. The textured walls weren't of dull colors, but were carefully chosen to not be blinding. The wooden flooring suited the grandeur and added a warmth. Slight aroma of different cuisines hit her nostrils. There were also outdoor tables available, for moonlit dinner experience. Though there weren't many customers at the moment, the place was far from empty.

She was mutely thankfully that the restaurant had pretty good Indian choices on their menu. Having had less chances of tasting different cuisines, she often didn't back down from trying something new. But. For dinner, she preferred Indian food, if not homemade. To her, who hadn't had the privilege of tasting her mother's cooking, her country's food was home food.

When the waitress arrived, they both ordered Indian cuisine and that made her a little comfortable.

"Well, isn't it just sad that because of the promotion, you can't be nominated for the best employee this year?" He lifted his brow. He had heard a group of people speaking about it this morning.

She smiled widely, something that could take his breath away, "It doesn't matter, Sir. Plus, there are so many who work just as hard. I was just fortunate to be recognized." She shrugged it off, her voice sincere.

He was surprised at her reply. "That's just you being humble, Arpita," he said with a serious tone. "Luck can bring success once. Twice. Thrice?! Not really." He shook his head a little.

"And yet, I had to prove myself, Sir, to get the promotion," she teased him, not really in an accusing tone.

His eyebrows arched at her statement, the tiredness in him long gone. "...The award doesn't define anyone's worth. It's the other way around, isn't it?" He pressed.

She grinned. "Of course, Sir," she nodded.

Soon, the waitress arrived with the dishes and served them.

He rolled his sleeves up to his elbow and started to eat. She had to tear her eyes away from him. He looked different, she noted, Good different. With his sleeves rolled up, he seemed more relaxed and somehow the aura that screamed 'I'm the boss here' left him. He looked more ogle-worthy. She bit the inside of her mouth, her eyes widening slightly at her thoughts. She silently decided to focus on the food on her plate instead. The aroma pulled her in instantly and she began eating.

"How's the food?" He asked, not really liking the silence compared to the conversation they were having before.

What am I doing? He wasn't really a person who would choose to speak first constantly. Girls liked to talk and he mostly listened. That's how it had always been. Not that this is a date or anything, he told himself, as he put a piece of roti, and keema- minced meat cooked with Indian spices- into his mouth.

"... It's good, Sir." Personally, I prefer more spice.

"Then why don't you add some black pepper?"

I said that out loud! I'm definitely sleepy. "I don't usually do that. It tastes pretty fine, anyway..." she trailed off, shrugging, not knowing how to explain that she simply didn't like adding spice to food while eating.

"That's a- weird reason."

She simply chuckled at his comment, getting back to her food. He noticed, it wasn't a soft or shy chuckle. Nor was it the egoistic, or the melodies one. However, it was genuine. A sincere expression of amusement. And to him, that was sexy. A sudden gush of desire overwhelmed him, as his eyes lingered on her luscious lips longer than it probably should, a tender longing filling his gaze. He wanted to kiss her that very moment.

"Don't we all have some weird habits?" The movement of her lips instantly made his alert eyes meet hers. He had almost not heard her words.

"I suppose." He nodded, not really giving it a thought, his deep voice coming off hoarse.

Even as he resumed eating, his mind was stuck on her. Not her words or her lips, just... her. What is this that she's making me feel? He was perplexed. He was sure lust wasn't the word for it. The feeling- it was a deep desire that stirred him from within. Burning him like fire and melting his heart just the same. Even when he wanted to kiss her, it wasn't just to feel her lips on his but to also let her know- I like that chuckle of yours. That it warmed his heart, and he wanted her to know it.

"Did you inform your parents that you'll be late? They must be worried." He suddenly remembered.

The sparkle in her eyes faded as she swallowed what she was chewing on, and looked out of the window. "I don't have parents, Sir. I was brought up in an orphanage." She tried to smile, still looking out, attempting to look fine.

He almost winced at that smile of hers. It doesn't suit her one bit, he thought, while... she pondered on his words. Would they have been worried?

"I'm sorry."

She glanced back at him, feeling bad for making him look like that. She gave him a reassuring smile, "It's okay, Sir. I'm used to it, now." She saw him examining her, before giving her a nod.

How could she be used to it? Of course, she was lying. He... had no memories of his mother. She had died when he was barely a four-years-old, he was told. The fact that he was motherless still pained him, though he couldn't really miss someone he didn't even know. He couldn't even begin to think how difficult it must have been for Arpita, to become such a wonderful woman without a parent by her side.

After that, they spoke about random things, which he knew she had started ranting about just to fill the awkward silence. Anyway, soon the conversation was beyond that point and she smiled more as they chatted and got to know tons of little things about each other. The dinner was worth it, he considered.

They stepped out to see his car waiting for them, Joseph standing beside it. Shoving his hands deeper into his pockets, he made his way to his black Maybach Exelero.

Mercedes Benz had always been his dream car model, simply because his Dad had it. He liked that he could finally buy one with his own earnings.

She had seen him leaving in that car uncountable times, but to sit in it? She'd never imagined. Leela would be beyond herself if she'd tell her, Arpita had no doubt. After all, Lee not only loved handsome men, but also expensive cars. A ride home on Maybach Exelero with Mr. Tripathi by her side, would be like a dream come true to Lee.

Siddharth stood between Joseph and Arpita to introduce them both. "Arpita, this is Joseph, my driver, bodyguard-cum-friend. Joseph, my Secretary, Arpita."

Joseph smiled, extending his hand that she took, "Hi. Nice to meet you, ma'am."

Arpita chuckled again, causing Siddharth's eyes to soften unconsciously. "Just call me Arpita."

"Okay then." Joseph shrugged with an easy-going smile.

"We'll drop her home first," Siddharth affirmed, walking around the car and taking his usual backseat as Joseph opened the door for her. Thanking him, she sat down.

Though she was certainly fascinated by the interiors and the comfort, she was already too sleepy to enjoy the feel. The softness of the seat seemed to lull her to sleep but she scolded herself to remain awake, making the ride not so comfy.

"Your address?" Joseph asked, with his energized voice.

Sid stared at Arpita, still not believing she preferred the bus over a car! Who would prefer that? He hoped she, at least, lived in a good place.

"It's..." She told him her address, which he was glad was in a safe area. But he still wasn't satisfied. She was his secretary. She deserved better. And he would give her just that. A nice car and a house.

Would she accept it?

Who's giving her a choice? He smirked faintly.

"By the way, I really wanted to meet you, Arpita," Joseph began, catching her attention, and Sid furrowed his eyes at him. "No other secretary has kept her job intact for more than a month. I was quite surprised someone succeeded. I was curious to know who it was." He said, glancing at her from the rearview mirror.

She only smiled, not knowing what else to say.

"Joseph," Sid called softly.

"Hmm?"

"Concentrate on driving," he gritted out.

Joseph hid his chuckle and did just that.

As Sid asked her what his schedule was for tomorrow, the conversation flowed into that of work and the pending projects- the one topic they both were sure they could hold long discussions about. He thought having a small talk could rid him of his sleepiness. And soon, he found himself discussing more issues with her than he did with his dad. She was smart, he had known, but she also knew a lot, he should have known.

When they reached the Lotus Lake apartments, it was already one-thirty. As she was about to get out of the car, he stopped her almost hastily, "Arpita."

"Yes, sir," her tired brown eyes locked with his black ones.

"You can come to work at 10 tomorrow. And I need one Sunday of yours. This week or the next. Which do you prefer?"

She tried to hide the grimace that she felt. Sunday! "Next Sunday will do, Sir."

Why did I agree?!!
Why would you need me to work on a Sunday?! She wanted to annoyingly enquire. However, she was too tired to hold a conversation with him, knowing she could get out and run to her bed instead. Her mind was drained; she suppressed a yawn.

He gave her a curt nod, "Fine then."

"Good night, Sir. Good night, Joseph," she smiled a sleepy smile and got out of the car.

Pulling herself to her flat, she took out her keys. It was a miracle that she had managed to stay awake till now. She was glad she hadn't embarrassed herself... she hadn't, right?

Did I look like I would doze off any minute?

I mostly did. Ah! I forgot to thank him for the dinner!

She fell on her bed, and the very next minute, her breathing evened and sleep took over.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

398K 15.8K 73
It is a love at first sight story of a perfect businessman, who believes in perfection in his work. His world revolves around his family, friends and...
1.1M 56.8K 64
*Under Editing* [Completed] Book one of 'Childhood Sweethearts Series'. "Neither she can leave him nor everytime it ends with tears" ________________...
102K 7K 60
Love is not as easy as the movies make it seem. life happens and sometimes, you screw up, that too not once but again and again. And due to this you...
12K 604 13
1st book of 'The Malhotra Siblings' When she was in 9th, he was the senior of her school.. He was her brother's classmate and his bestfriend He was h...