Enigma // (Haikyuu x OC)

By jxntxn

//on hiatus on further notice// "But love is an enigma." Enigma : a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzl... More

before we begin
new year, new season, same fangirls
into the past
the team
convenience store conversations
first name basis
the captain
yelling across the halls
cafe and a practice match
lover boy
the results
the only one
changing feelings and blackmail
the greatest manager
the little giant and the little fox
prelims and celebrations
cheer up baby
let's go to Tokyo!
cat's cradle
sign of the times
dropkick of truth
training camp sparks
the looking glass
adore you
back to miyagi
thicker than water
king of the court
getting to know the new you
the winner takes it all pt.1
the winner takes it all pt.2
ramen shop and jump buddies
inarizaki investigation team!
of crows and eagles
an alien

godzilla

1.9K 107 31
By jxntxn

Iwaizumi Hajime didn't bother to guess what was taking his two idiots to come back with food during the match. It was noticeable to everyone, except for her apparently, how they both felt.

Trashykawa being Trashykawa, well... it was a surprise actually to see him move first and take the chance while there was still a glimmer of it. All is fair in love and war, right? He couldn't blame his best friend at the end of the day, if he was a tad faster he might have swept her off her feet to the snack stand himself.

But if all is fair, why did it still hurt?

It didn't sting this bad when she moved away, knowing all it took was just a phone call or message to reach her and hear her.

It didn't sting all those times she would mention the new team she manages in Hyogo, he was there on the other end of video chat supporting her and offering advice on how to get along with those clashing personalities that she would be facing.

So why

Just why

When she is so close, Mayumi seems further out of reach if Oikawa can charm her.

That's just what he does, right? He always is able to draw attention from girls everywhere they go, and Mayumi wouldn't be an exception.

As time ticked by slowly, Iwaizumi's thoughts were racing. His shoulders were tense and his glare was hard at the gym down below but it was directed to no one but himself.

She would be better off without-

"Ah, Iwa-chan! We brought you back some popcorn." Mayumi's voice pulled him from the depths of his self-wallowing, not noticing their arrival until she called out to him.

She made her way to her seat next to him, handing off the popcorn with a closed eye smile that brought him back down to Earth. It was quick, and her attention was back to the war on the gym floor down below still raging on.

Oikawa unceremoniously plopped down in his seat on the other side of Mayumi, taking the other order of popcorn she held - and even from his spot, Iwaziumi had to stifle a laugh seeing the faith red handprint mark that was on the setter's face.

'Pfft, she's still got a temper'

-----------------------

At this point during the match, Mayumi could barely focus on what was occurring given the mini battle going on between her two upperclassmen between her. They weren't saying anything, and that had the tension in the air heavier with each serve she saw down below.

Oikawa-senpai delayed her in getting her prized churro that she was aiming for, and ended up settling for popcorn instead. It wasn't really settling, it was still great. But Mayumi wanted to be petty, even in her own thoughts for a moment or two after the discussion Oikawa-senpai and her had.

"I couldn't be happy with them like I am with you."

Kami, her ears feel like they are burning just thinking about that. How can he sit there so nonchalantly after that?

While she wanted to be upset at him over those words and how confused it made her feel, Mayumi was more frustrated with herself for not knowing how to react. She must've looked like a gaping goldfish with her mouth open and eyes wide. Just one move that Oikawa made, probably to embrace her, and she slapped him.

She slapped Oikawa.

She didn't intend to whatsoever, and was just happy the handprint on his face was finally gone. It wasn't a pretty sight, but it was kinda funny.

"Oi Trashykawa" Oikawa-senpai only hummed back as a sign of acknowledgement to Iwaizumi.

"Don't you have to go take a shit."

Was she supposed to react? Is this how they normally talk?

Based on the look of horror from Oikawa-senpai, it seems not.

"IWA-CHAN! Don't say such things in front of a girl!"

"Then go away for a bit so I don't say any more embarrassing stuff about you."

At this point, Oikawa was standing up and red in the face - flushed with embarrassment over his spiker's way of getting a chance to talk to Mayumi. It wasn't subtle by any means, but the girl of their affections was no dense that nothing mattered really.

"Till the end of this set" and with a huff, Mayumi watched Oikawa-senpai strut away in his cozy cardigan, wondering where he got it from and if she had a chance to steal it from his wardrobe.

-----------------------

If Iwaizumi was lost for words before, he was stumped now.

He has a chance, time is of the essence, and he still doesn't know where to start.

"So um, I hope the popcorn was okay." Thank heavens, Mayumi broke the ice with her own adorable awkwardness.

"Yeah, it's still my favorite here so thank you." the small voice in his head told him to make sure to smile at her, and going against his nerves to do so paid off when Iwaizumi was able to see a faint blush grace her cheeks.

Well, it's now or never.

"There's actually something I want to talk to you about."

Her eyes had drifted back to the match, but were fully on him now giving her undivided attention.

He could get lost in the hues of her eyes, brimming with curiosity, the same ones that would be quick to shift into a playful glare whenever she would make jokes on the side.

There was so much he knew of her, but it still felt that she was hiding something from everyone.

How could he convey that he would treasure her no matter what?

"I'm happy you're here, Mayumi-chan."

She didn't even think much of his statement, going along and replied with, "Eh~ I'm happy to be back visiting, even though it's bittersweet to go."

Bittersweet doesn't even begin to describe it for him.

"Mayumi-chan, have you heard of the saying, 'you never know what you had until you lost it'?"

"Once or twice, mainly in rom-coms that we watched."

Iwaizumi began to feel braver, reaching out and tucking a strand of her loose hair behind her ear. By doing so, he learned something new real quick.

'Her ears turn red before she blushes.'

"Well, I can definitely say it's true. Before you moved to Hyogo, I was so used to being with you everyday and sharing everything I could with you."

Looking into her eyes, he saw the confusion swirling in the depths, but there was something more that he hoped no one else has been able to witness.

He saw her waiting and anxious, hanging on to his next words with bated breath.

"This weekend has taught me that you're all I ever need and want in life."

a/n: oh hi there, fancy seeing you here   (-ε- )  long time, no write but here we are bb

yeah there's not much to say, it's been almost two months since i updated, let alone write, and a lot of people thought i gave up on this. to be perfectly candid, i did consider it. life just kinda hits you with a car and then a semi-truck over and over if you know what i mean. 

i just took time for myself, got into new shows, read lots from other creators and tried to get my mind right. i'm not gonna promise a schedule for updates to get hopes up and put out updates i'm not proud of - but it does feel good to be writing again so expect the unexpected in terms of updates.

i could never say thank you enough to all of you who have stayed with the story, commented, posted on my conversation board/page or left me messages. it's insane how much we have grown in the short time this fic has been up and (at the time of this) we are at 110K reads..... 

it's each and every one of you that keep me inspired and going with this, so i just want to say i love you all ♡^▽^♡

p.s. godzilla is Iwa's chapter to confess~ just like how Oikawa had his last chpater. also godzilla is in reference to bb Iwa loving godzilla when he was younger, just like how Oikawa loves aliens:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.9K 3.1K 57
Moving to Miyagi to live with her sister Kiyoko, it was the second time she made a decision that pulled her away from the future that her reputation...
118K 3.6K 44
"𝒯𝒽𝒢𝓃𝓀 π“¨β„΄π“Š, π’©β„―π“π“‰β£οΈŽ" ________________________________ Hinata was sweet ball of sunshine who had feelings for the volleyball team and ends up...
285 2 9
*DISCONTINUED* Kageyama x reader Kageyama is the same as always uptight, moody, and socially awkward. Or is that just an act? (Y/n) is an average...
2.5K 111 8
An Oikawa Tooru short fic. Β·βœΏΒ·β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€Β· Β· After all of those tears, she still forgave him. "I love you" it was poison in her system that slowly killed...