yelling across the halls

The school year was beginning to pass by far too quickly for her liking. Almost a month had passed since the jerseys were given out, and the days started to blur together as the 2nd years tried all they could to get under the new captain's skin. Perhaps Kita was too strict on them, or maybe a sadist at heart, but he never let them get away without a few extra laps around the gym. 

At least Suna's stamina was slightly improving.

Whatever it took to get that boy motivated, Mayumi would do anything.

Even if it meant throwing him under the bus and blaming messes on them. Extra laps never hurt anyone, according to Mayumi.

They only had one practice match so far, an easy win. There was no real competition for them in their prefecture, which is why they were always looking towards Tokyo teams to challenge. In the morning practice - Coach Oomi, Shinsuke-senpai and her all discussed the next practice match they would have before the Interhigh Tournament. It was just their luck that a team from Tokyo was willing to travel to Hyogo for a weekend of training and practice matches.

Now it was lunch time, an opportunity to run away from her current seating position in class. The teacher must have something against her since he placed Atsumu directly behind her, and Osamu right in front of her. Suna was in front of Osamu and somehow they all got the row of window seats. She was also making a break to the vending machine for a drink, maybe some strawberry milk today.

As Mayumi is making her way through the hall of the 2nd year corridor, she feels a heavy arm sling over her shoulder.

"Mayuuuuu-chaaaaaan"

Maybe if she ignored him, he would go away...

"Lets go to a cafe after practice today! 'Samu saw a new one on the way home the other day when you were walking with the caps, and we aren't talking no for an answer." So much for Atsumu to go away and get her drink in peace. And he was speaking faster than her brain could process at the moment, they just got out of a math lesson about one of many Euler's Theorems, and her head was empty.

At this moment, it was easier to go along with it.

"Sure 'Tsumu, we can go." when really she was saying, 'Please let me go get a drink.' He did just that, saluting her and she went into the battlefield of the school cafeteria where the closest vending machines were. She was almost through the double doors when she heard him again.

"MAYU-BAKA GET ME A DRINK TOO"

Seeing her shoulders tense up, he took that as the cue to run back to class and pray for a merciful punishment she'll come up with by the time they get to practice. 

His mission was done. All he wanted was to spend more time with her, and was it that bad he got excited over the little things like this?

---------------------

She dealt with Atsumu first thing when she saw him in the gym - pulling on his ear so he would come down to her level. She was kind not to kick his shins right before practice, but she certianly wasn't a saint after dealing with him braiding her hair in class all day. 

After the promise to buy whatever she wanted at the cafe, and to help her pick up after practice - she was content with letting him run loose and free while she went and got changed. She managed to grab Osamu on her way out of the locker room and gave him puppy-dog eyes in order to lure him into helping her set up the nets. 

Although, Osamu didn't need to be asked twice if Mayumi was the one asking him. Especially if it meant to help her.  

He also knew she was being nice just for asking him, rather than ordering him around like she did Ginjima the other day. 

The announcement of the upcoming practice match weekend was made at the start of practice, and the team was instantly fired up. They breezed through the warm ups laps around the track, with the usual lazy stranglers having a bit more pep in their step. Stretching was another story, having to pry the twins away from each other as they tried to crack each others backs. The last thing they needed was a back injury right before Interhigh. 

Currently, the boys were in the middle of receiving drills, with the assistant coaches on the ladders spiking and setting to them.

She gave a wave to Shinsuke-senpai as she went closer to the benches, him giving a nod and a slight smile back. He was overseeing the of the team as they perfected their receives for the day - quick to single out any mistakes that could be corrected. He had completed his quota early on, being the defensive specialist of the team. 

Mayumi was off to the side, ready to hand out any medical tape, water or a word of encouragement when she thought back to the time she was first introduced to volleyball.

When she first saw him.