prelims and celebrations

Hyogo Interhigh prelims start!

The captain had his jacket slinged over his shoulders, leading the team into the gym. Mayumi had returned the jacket to him that morning before they departed the school - it still had a bit of static from the dyer. It had been probably hours since it was removed from the dyer, but it gave him warmth, just like her encouraging words to the team had.

"Do your best and win it all."

She knows the hours and hours of dedication the entire team has put into for these tournaments, and they will make her proud on the court.

The volleyball club didn't show it, but they adored their manager. Sure, those who tease her and bicker with her stand out the most - but the rest of the team is grateful that she is their manager. They couldn't fathom that anyone else would put up with their dynamics as a team.

Shinsuke knew that at the end of the day, Mayumi didn't really mind the twins' arguments, or how Suna can't stay off his phone. The team was family to her, and they were well prepared to display the power they had.

Her words of encouragement were short and sweet, like how Mayumi wanted to be portrayed, but Shinsuke and the team knew what a Little Fox she could be.  

And she was their Little Fox.

The schools in the prelims were divided up into two groups - A and B. Inarizaki was placed in B, and their first matchup of the day was Murano Technical High School.

Typically with matchups, their manager was well prepared and had a guide, detailing the ins and outs of their opponent - but Murano Tech has a brand-new volleyball program. There was a rumor floating around that they had an up and coming first-year wing spiker, who showed promise from their feeder middle school.

They most likely saw the success of other schools and believed that they could power through with the untrained and raw talent at their school.

Oh how wrong they were.

-----------------

[Inarizaki High vs Murano Tech : 1-0 ]

Although the first set hit Murano Tech's spirit hard, their so-called superstar had yet to falter under the pressure and Mayumi didn't know when his optimism would run out. It was painful at this point, the small amount of points they endlessly fought to secure, him cheering on his teammates who clearly gave up, all for Inarizaki to score point after point.

The second set rolled through and the current score was 23-15, Inarizaki approaching their match point steadily.

It was a service ace from Atsumu that brought them to 24 points, soon to be an anti-climatic end for their first victory of the preliminaries, and Mayumi heard the opposing first-year call out to his team.

"IT'S NOT OVER YET, WE CAN STILL FIGHT." Ito Tamaki, the superstar of the team and more of a captain from their spineless official one as far as Mayumi is concerned.

She gave him a glance from her position at the bench, he was hitting his chest as if taunting Atsumu to serve towards him. Ito sure knew how to motivate the team, they all seemed to stand taller at his words. It was admirable that he was that optimistic, and Mayumi knew that it would take him far in the future, especially if he can gander this respect early on. Mayumi recalled her cousin mentioning there was a hot-headed duo on her team, and she wonders if they are that motivated as Ito is.

Atsumu seemed to take the challenge, quieting down the crowds biostering cheers to get in his zone, and served directly to Ito who was in his respective back line.