of crows and eagles

How Mayumi found herself, sitting alone, watching the warm up take place on the gym floor down below her, for teams she barely knew - was completely beyond her.

She recalled what happened last night, after bumping into two players from Shiratorizawa, it was an uneventful trip back to Aoba Johsai, thankful that she was able to remember her way back. Iwa-chan and Oikawa-senpai had seen better days, that much was given, and she didn't comment on their puffy eyes - evidence from the heartfelt messages they must have received from their own underclassmen when she was gone.

Afterwards, the three of them decided to sleepover at the captain's home. It was a brief tradition they had in middle school, binge watching shows and movies after tournaments or important matches. Only kept brief because of Oikawa and his overly sentimental ways, and the fact that they graduated a year before the dear manager.

The morning was a blur, flashes coming back to the front of her memory. The captain's older sister had awoken Mayumi before the two boys, pulling her and subtly forcing the sleepy girl into the outfit she currently wore. With a quick shove out the door, and a goodbye kiss on the cheek from Oikawa-senpai's nephew, Mayumi was sent out into the early morning.

And that is where we find ourselves, in an actual dress that the boys back in Inarizaki would probably be laughing to see her in. 

Granted, she wore skirts a majority of the time, but that itself was also forced. Anyone who saw her outside of class would typically find her in athletic wear. 

Mayumi shifted in her seat, trying to pull on the little black slip dress lower to cover her thighs. Oikawa's sister had an eye for fashion, and loved dressing up the younger girl as if she was a doll. While mentally cursing her, she was also thanking her for remembering the October weather, and pulled down on the cream long sleeve that she wore underneath the slip dress. It was simple, but still out of her comfort zone.

She held her phone, turning it in her hands anxiously and typed out a quick message to her cousin down below.

'Good luck to the best (Miyagi) manager  ;)'

After she hit send, she stared down her cousin, waiting and watching for a reaction from Kiyoko. Seeing the slight curve of a smile threatening to break across her face was more than enough for Mayumi, and she was able to relax in her seat.

Taking a look over at the opposing side, she saw the two boys she met last night. 

Was it a fateful encounter or a coincidence, that she met the infamous Ushijima Wakatoshi?

Sure, she didn't recall the name at first, but on her walk back to Seijoh from the convenience store last night, she was struck with the realization of who he was. The weight that his name always carried, particularly around Oikawa-senpai. She can still hear his tantrums from middle school, vowing to win against the star spiker.