the captain

The week had flown by, and the team was coming into their first weekend of the school year. More importantly to those who shed their blood, sweat and tears over the past week - it was the day that jerseys were given out.

Everyone had been pestering Mayumi since morning practice about who the new captain is. There was no indication from last year's captain on who he recommended, and the coaches were being secretive in their talks. Of course Mayumi knew, she had to get the uniforms together for each player and get their sizes correct. It would be humiliating for her if she handed Ojiro an extra-small jersey.

Again.

Accidents happen. You live and you learn.

But what was the fun if she just spilled out the roster. Sure, the team was fairly decided from the get-go. Not a lot of first-years would be getting jerseys anyways. They could have their chance to shine later on in the year or even next year.

"ALRIGHT BOYS," Coach Oomi made the team painfully wait till the end of practice before the jersey and roster announcement. "We are going to be going over the official roster for this season, as well as hand out jerseys. First - the captain."

"The captain for this year is," She held her breath, Mayumi already knew who it was, and she couldn't look away from him as she stood next to the coaches. He never asks for more than what he has, and now he can show all his hard work truly pays off. Yet, she wasn't sure the reaction he would give.

"Kita Shinsuke." He walked up as robotic as usual, Mayumi handing him the jersey from the box, the #1 jersey just for the captain. It was a swift exchange and he promptly sat back down as the assistant coach continued on with the next jersey.

And then Kita cried.

He cried holding the jersey.

It was no longer a blank jersey.

He had a number, he had a position.

Above all else, he was their captain now.

The happiness rose in his chest and he told himself that it was because of the silly jersey. There had to be a reason for his happiness and tears, a logical and explanatory reason. Who would've thought a simple black and white jersey would bring him this much joy.

One of the assistant coaches near her gave Mayumi a side glance with a slight smile, neither of them thought the new captain would cry. They made the right choice.

The roster was dominated by the 2nd and 3rd year players, yet there was one 1st year who shined the brightest when his name was called and he received a jersey. Mayumi had to look away, she knew that the smile on his face would vanish once the coach told him he would only be a pinch server and not on the official lineup with his upperclassmen.

After all, only the strongest six win.

---------------------

After the roster was finalized and the players understood their positions, the coaches released them from practice. Coach Oomi thankfully made them clean up before the meeting so Mayumi went and changed in the girls locker room back into her uniform.

Walking out of the locker room, Mayumi was immediately surrounded by Atsumu and Osamu. They each grabbed one arm each and ran out the door, yelling about the combat game she put off the other night in an attempt to escape from them and relax.

She should've known, there is no relaxing with these two around.

She should've left out of the bathroom window.

Yet oddly enough, she also knew that she would miss their behavior one day.

With that thought in mind, she came back to her senses, dug her heels into the ground and forced the two to stop. Fixing her windblown hair, Mayumi started walking off in the direction of their house. Osamu got the idea and jogged up to stand next to her while Atsumu stood in the same spot, mouth agape. Mayumi and Osamu stopped not hearing him, and looked over their shoulders. She gave the blonde twin a huge grin and waved her arm in the air.

'Hey loser, let's go home!'

He was glad his mouth was already open, if it was closed then it would've dropped. He couldn't help the way his heart skipped at her smile. So he jogged up and stood on the other side of her, going to the Miya house and playing his new favorite combat game.

Osamu mentioned he wanted to get his hair cut and dyed again this weekend, and Mayumi agreed. She made a mental note to get the supplies when at the grocery store with Shinsuke-senpai, so as to not cause any extra trips. 'Samu and Mayu then went into conversation about the best character in the game series. He only looked at attack stats, while she was focused on the cuteness of the character. According to her, those could be the most powerful ones.

It was really only according to her.

The twins shared a look over her head as she went into a tangent about a certain dog character. They shared a smile and ruffled her hair with vigor at the same time.

It was worth the mini-lecture they received from Mayumi.

To them, no matter where they are, its home as long as they are with her.

---------------------

It was the summer before their last year of junior high when they met. They had said goodbye to Aran when he graduated right before summer, and they wanted to get the upcoming year over with so that they could join him on the volleyball team once again.

Their mom was a gossiper, no matter the topic. She knew everyone's business in the neighborhood. From breakups, to job promotions, and to residents moving in or out, she knew it all. That's why it wasn't a surprise to Osamu when he heard his mother call him downstairs and told him of a girl his age who just moved in a few streets down. She wanted him to introduce himself first, welcome her to the neighborhood. Atsumu was busy sleeping through lunch.

Osamu saw her before she noticed him, she was smaller than them. She had always been small, only growing 3cm since they met back then. She had an air of innocence surrounding her, it was probably due to her hair - she's had the same haircut for as long as she can remember. When she finally looked up and saw him, he stopped breathing for a moment. Those fox-like eyes bore into him and still haunt him to this day. They were michevious and cunning all at the same time. They held a coldness in them that wanted to be warmed up. Her eyes didn't match the rest of her nature, but he would grow to love her eyes most of all.

He was mesmerized and knew from that one look;

The three of them were gonna be best friends.

He couldn't wait for 'Tsumu to wake up and meet the new kid.