Enigma // (Haikyuu x OC)

By jxntxn

//on hiatus on further notice// "But love is an enigma." Enigma : a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzl... More

before we begin
new year, new season, same fangirls
into the past
the team
convenience store conversations
first name basis
the captain
yelling across the halls
cafe and a practice match
lover boy
the results
the only one
changing feelings and blackmail
the greatest manager
the little giant and the little fox
prelims and celebrations
cheer up baby
cat's cradle
sign of the times
dropkick of truth
training camp sparks
the looking glass
adore you
back to miyagi
thicker than water
king of the court
getting to know the new you
the winner takes it all pt.1
the winner takes it all pt.2
ramen shop and jump buddies
inarizaki investigation team!
of crows and eagles
an alien
godzilla

let's go to Tokyo!

4.1K 194 130
By jxntxn

Saturday couldn't come soon enough for Bokuto.

Once he heard the news that Inarizaki won their Interhigh prelims, and were going to nationals as the Hyogo representatives, he wouldn't stop talking about it to his teammates.

They all knew his infatuation with the little fox manager, Mayumi even grew on Akaashi and he was no longer wary of her from the numerous times he spoke with her through Bokuto's calls. If anything, she seemed incredibly patient - not everyone could put up with their captain, so she earned his respect simply with just that.

Akaashi had even messaged the manager a few times himself, it was nice for a change and he had someone else to dump his Bokuto stories on now. Konoha was getting tired of seeing it first-hand and then hearing about it again from the setter.

Bokuto was insistent on bringing the whole team along to greet the foxes at the train station, masking it as being a friend and guiding them through the city - when in reality he wanted to see Mayumi and Mayumi only.

-------------

"Tch" Mayumi clicked her tongue loud enough for Suna to spare a glance away from his phone and over to hers, where an onslaught of messages were pouring in from Bokuto.

Suna noted that her face betrayed her words, a slight pink hue covered her cheeks. She must've had a thing for guys with two-toned hair.

'Such a tsundere, how could she deny it...'

Mayumi replied back to Bokuto - reassuring that the team has, in fact, been to Tokyo before and wouldn't get lost to their hotel. More importantly in her message, she emphasized that there was no need for the entire Fukurodani volleyball team to greet them at the station, they would see each other at the tournament anyways.

She should've known that her messages fell on deaf ears

-------------

He made them a sign.

A giant "WELCOME MAYUMI (and Inarizaki)" sign.

Right next to his bouncing figure was Akaashi, head held high as if this happens all the time. How much are they around each other that he became so immune?

Atsumu didn't take well to the welcoming party, he wasn't a big Bokuto fan from the beginning and this display of blatant affection - for HIS manager - was a bit too much after their long day of travel. Osamu could only pat his back, silently communicating that he felt the same as his twin.

Shinsuke, well... was doing his best.

He was the first to notice the giant sign as they pulled into the station, and was quick to shove his jacket to Mayumi. When they departed off the train and towards the awaiting owls, he stood in front of her the entire time so that Bokuto wasn't able to see her. He kept up his usual robotic stare, even when he felt mayumi grip the back of his shirt, so that she wouldn't trip behind him. 

His façade broke for a second under her soft touch, enough for Bokuto to peek around during his search for Mayumi and discovered her in Shinsuke's jacket, face beet red.

"AH HEY MAYUMI-CHAN"

Oh no.

-------------

Somehow, the team managed to bid goodbye to the owls and retired to their rooms for much needed rest before the tournament begins tomorrow.

Mayumi left her quick meeting with the coaches, settling on the times to wake everyone up for breakfast, and when to leave for the gymnasium. It was when she rounded the corner back to her room when she saw a figure waiting by her door.

Osamu.

"Hey, 'Samu, can't sleep?"

He didn't answer her question though, and his eyes remained downcasted to the floor.

"Mayumi," He started and took a deep breath before continuing, "Does Bokuto-san bother you?"

"He's harmless," she scoffed and looked off to the side, "Does he bother you?"

Osamu finally looked up at her, and shot her a quick tired smile as he went to pat her head.

"No, cause I'll win, on and off the court."

-------------

It was a long day, and her team was exhausted by the time they reached the finals. They managed to defeat Mujinazaka High from Ōita, and they were in a small break before the Interhigh Nationals final match was to start.

Their next opponent was Itachiyama Academy, a local powerhouse from Tokyo.

Mayumi had never seen them play in person, and had hoped that they wouldn't face them in the tournament. They were not only a powerhouse school, but a champion school - with a top 3 ace to add to the fire.

There wasn't much to say about Sakusa Kiyoomi, the boy seemed calmed among his team, and didn't seem to celebrate no matter how many points he scored. He was well-deserving of his rank among other aces in Japan, having a power like none other - let alone the fact he was only a second-year in high school too. He also had a mask on whenever he wasn't playing. Mayumi knew that the city air was more harmful, but this was a little too much for an indoor gymnasium.

-------------

Itachiyama had secured the first set, while Inarizaki took the second, so it was down to the third and final set to determine the winner of the Interhigh Nationals. As Mayumi passed around water bottles during their break before the final set, she was able to see the spiked white hair of Bokuto settled off to the side of the Inarizaki cheering squad. Akaashi was seated next to him, and they both gave her a wave from the stands.

Atsumu noticed her wave to the crowd, looked in the direction that she was and frowned seeing that the two owls had her attention. He maneuvered in front of her line of vision and got down to her eye level. Unlike all the other times Atsumu got near her face, she blushed.

"Oi Mayu, watch me out there 'kay?"

"Wha- I have to watch you, 'Tsumu, I'm your manager." she puffed out her cheeks in frustration, willing him to give her back some personal space. She has been unable to keep her emotions off of her face lately and she doesn't need Atsumu to tease her about it - Suna already does that.

"Watch me like your owl-boy watches you." and then he went to take his place with the team as the third set started.

Shinsuke took his usual spot next to Mayumi, waiting and watching the plays unfold on the court. He already went in during the second set, to snap the team back to reality and steer them properly. He felt that this was their chance to win it all now.

The air conditioner of the gym got to him, and a chill ran down his spine, reflexively reaching for his jacket only to remember that the girl next to him was wearing his jacket still. Shinsuke gazed at her small form for a moment, whenever he did the world seemed to stand still.

He couldn't help his thoughts.

'She looks good in my jacket.'

-------------

It was a quiet meal after the match. Inarizaki lost the final set, becoming runner-ups in the Interhigh Nationals. The most silent of them all was Atsumu, who felt that it was his serves and sets that cost them the match.

"Atsumu" Mayumi's voice was soft as it reached his ears, not gaining anyone's attention but his. She moved more meat to his plate, although his initial portions were still left untouched.

"Eat up and get stronger, this isn't the end, baka."

She could've been nicer with her words, afterall she was a manager and his close friend. But this was Mayumi we're talking about, and those words alone touched Atsumu's heart like none other.

He scoffed, finally reaching for his utensils and began eating

"You're the baka here."

The silence among the team seemed to be more comforting than before, each member acknowledging on their own how far they have come in this tournament - and how much farther they will go in future ones.

Mayumi's phone dinged with a message notification, and she read what Bokuto had sent her.

"Mayu-chan, before you leave, you HAVE to meet my friends!! We have to give you a send off!" Bokuto seemed to rival her Oikawa-senpai with the sheer amount of emoticons he used in his messages.

She began to type out a reply, making a point to say that it was currently team bonding time and they didn't need to say goodbye, when the person in question called her.

"Hello-"

"Look behind you!!"

She heard the voice echo through the phone and within the restaurant that the Inarizaki team was currently in. 

She looked behind her, against her own better judgement and saw Akaashi and Bokuto, the latter waving his hands in the air - standing next to a guy with weirdly-styled black hair , and a smaller two-toned boy who was focused on his phone.

Inarizaki + new additions for some good ol' team bonding? 

How bad can it be? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

98.5K 3.1K 57
Moving to Miyagi to live with her sister Kiyoko, it was the second time she made a decision that pulled her away from the future that her reputation...
226K 7.9K 58
(L/N) (Y/N) and Oikawa Tooru. You are the power couple of Seijoh. Everyone knows it since both of you are captains of your volleyball teams. Life was...
197 5 6
Updating every few days for now. Writers block..! ☆ She got to enjoy the first year of high school where she really wanted to, Shiratorizawa, before...
1M 31.1K 107
「ハイキュー」 "You don't win alone. That's just how it is." - Kageyama Tobio ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── saudade : (n.) a nostalgic lo...