Enigma // (Haikyuu x OC)

By jxntxn

//on hiatus on further notice// "But love is an enigma." Enigma : a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzl... More

before we begin
new year, new season, same fangirls
into the past
the team
convenience store conversations
first name basis
the captain
yelling across the halls
cafe and a practice match
lover boy
the only one
changing feelings and blackmail
the greatest manager
the little giant and the little fox
prelims and celebrations
cheer up baby
let's go to Tokyo!
cat's cradle
sign of the times
dropkick of truth
training camp sparks
the looking glass
adore you
back to miyagi
thicker than water
king of the court
getting to know the new you
the winner takes it all pt.1
the winner takes it all pt.2
ramen shop and jump buddies
inarizaki investigation team!
of crows and eagles
an alien
godzilla

the results

4.9K 247 179
By jxntxn

'Operation: Lover Boy begins.'

Kita isn't fond of plans that directly involve Mayumi, namely whenever she resorts to flirting with the opposing team in order to manipulate them. She can be the brain of the team if she wanted to, and there was no need for her to involve herself with other players. Especially flirty ones like Bokuto.

The two next to each other. It was just before the set point, and they discussed what needs to be done. If they get too ahead in points within the next set - Suna will most likely start slacking off, so either one of them has to keep an eye on him. Ginjima can be too rash in his decisions - he's already shown some mistakes in his playmaking during the first set, but they were simple factors. On the court, the twins are the polar opposite, and need to be handled differently.

Fukurodani took the first set, Inarizaki only trailed behind them a few points resulting in 25-20. Akaashi was wondering if this team was rightly hyped up as they were supposed to be, or if they got to nationals by luck before? There has to be something else. 

Bokuto was on fire, and it was all thanks to the Inarizaki manager. Her eyes never left him and every time he looked over at him, she would give him a smile. He would do anything at this point to show off in front of her - she has to know what a great ace he is! Even if they would somehow manage to lose the match, he would ask her out and get her number. She was so nice and cute - what's not to like? Kaori mentioned that the managers may go to a cafe in town before they head back home, maybe he could tag along and get to know Mayumi-chan some more.

At the Inarizaki bench, Mayumi sneezed as a chill ran down her spine. She shook it off and took charge of leading the boys. During the first set she was finally able to see Fukurodani and their playing style in real life. Bokuto seemed to rely on his setter more than anyone else, and was feeding into her praises from the sideline. He got more and more excited with every smile and wave she sent his wave. All she needed to do now was to find a way to start blocking his cross-spikes.

"Suna, keep an eye on #4 - you know he likes to go for the cross-spikes,so you have to be able to move accordingly." Mayumi made her commands down the line, "Atsumu we are starting you in the back, Osamu you'll be a spot in front of him in the rotation. Don't get slacking, I need you to be quick, both of you. Gin, do not rush to your decisions - I know you want to make a difference but you have to think also." The main problem children understood their marching orders. 

"Ojiro-senpai, I will be initially starting you but once you go to serve, then we will swap you out with Shinsuke-senpai. Shinsuke-senpai ... "

"Do your best."

Akaashi took a glance over to the Inarizaki bench during the break. He knows their manager has been Bokuto's main source of his energy for the game today, Kaori and him won't have to pull out the "there's a girl in the stands who likes you" card. Bokuto wouldn't be interested in any other girl, not with his sights set so seriously on her.

---------------------

Mayumi was starting to feel bad. That Bokuto-san seemed like a nice boy, and maybe after the game she'll buy him a sweet treat. But the second set began and her players were listening to her marching orders; they had been blocking and receiving a majority of Bokuto's cross-spikes, still with no sign of his rumored mood-swings. She wondered if they even existed at this point.

It was time for Shinsuke-senpai to be rotated in and serve. Even if they did not manage to get a service ace from this, for the next rotation - Atsumu would be serving next.

Shinsuke-senpai's serve made it beautifully over the net with a loud thump as it was received by their libero. It turned into a chance ball and Osamu tossed it to Atsumu - confusing the Fukurdani blockers with their switch last second and they secured a point. 

Another serve from Shinsuke-senpai, this time their setter dumped the ball - not giving their ace a chance to hit it even though he jumped believing.

Fukurodani's serve after that point was  just a normal serve that barely made it over the net, received with ease by the fox's own libero - Akagi Michinari. Atsumu was there in a blink of an eye and set it over for Ginjima, who broke through the blockers fingers and brought back the ball for Inarizaki to serve. 

Now is where it got interesting: Atsumu serving and Bokuto is in the back line still, away from his setter friend and under the direct line of fire of Atsumu's dual-wielding serves.

The blonde haired twin took his time, relaxing his mind and then jumped for the serve, aiming directly between Bokuto and another player. It was a quick point, a fast service ace, and none of the players made any contact with it.

Atsumu was able to deal out float serve and service aces at random, and each time aimed at Bokuto who failed to receive it. 

He was feeling awful, his spikes were being blocked all the time now in this set, now he can't do the basics and receive a stupid serve. The only thing that stopped him from going into his emo-mode was seeing the manager across the way smile at him. It was nice to know that someone thought he was great out there - Akaashi is probably over him right now and he's taking his team down.

Only, there were no more smiles from the cute manager. 

She wasn't paying attention to him anymore. 

He's not doing a good job, so why would she.

After that stupid blonde's serve was finally picked up by their libero, and Bokuto was able to rotate up to to the front line next to his setter - he had to take charge.

"AKAASHI, DON'T TOSS TO ME ANYMORE."

---------------------

With Bokuto being dejected and wandering around lost on the court for the second set, Inarizaki was quick to take the lead and win the set. 

Going into the third set - they would continue to do the same and keep a healthy margin to win, yet Mayumi did not expect his mood swings to be that great.

It was half way through the third set, Inarizaki winning 17-12, when Fukurodani used their last time-out, and Mayumi's guilt was eating away at her. 

Usually when she uses the flirty-manager tactic, it's on players who are nasty and crude to her and her team. Bokuto was a child in a man's body, with too much energy for him to be so ... sad. 

She could feel the stares on her back from her team as she turned suddenly, making her way to the Fukurodani bench. Players at the bench there gave her weird glances, the coach guiding the players while Bokuto sat off to the side - his soul leaving him.

"Excuse me, Bokuto-senpai?" He thought he died and was hearing an angel's voice, and jumped when he felt her grasp his shoulder. The senpai made him feel useful, having someone relying on him.

"Ah! Mayumi-chan, what is it?"

She had to pause, was she really about to do this and potentially risk her team from winning? An immediate yes echoed in her mind, Fukurodani had been nothing but polite and kind to them - it wasn't a win unless her teammates can gather the strength and overcome any obstacle.

"You're doing a great job, and I miss seeing you spike. Do you think you spike more before the game is over? For me?" Ending it with a gentle smile and a pat on the back, Mayumi made her way back to her bench - giving the owl setter a slight nod as she walked past him. She had a feeling he would be back to his normal self and ready to win more than before.

And what a comeback it was.

After her talk with him, Bokuto was scoring like there was no other game.

The score was now 23-20, in favor of Fukurodani. Not only did they manage to halt Inarizaki's winning streak, but they sat close to the match point to winning the set and the game.

Mayumi knew Shinsuke-senpai and Atsumu wanted answers, she never backed out of her plans. And to go as far as cheering up the other team's ace? That was just unheard of. She was supposed to be cool, calm and collected in the games. Every decision she made for the team had a reason. Every decision was meant to benefit the team. 

But she did not regret what she did. Even as she saw Bokuto soar in the air and take the set for victory, she held no regrets. Fukurodani was simply a stronger six at the end of the day, and nothing she could do would stop that. The teams shook hands and some started to help clean up the gym.

Regardless, it was worth it seeing Bokuto bounce over to her and give her a 1000-watt smile.

"Mayumi-chan, what's your number!! Let's go out!"

Correction, her team was going to kill Bokuto before he could even make it back to Tokyo. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 63 32
Y/N IS A NOVELIST IN JAPAN. HE IS ONE OF THE BEST NOVELISTS IN THE WORLD. HE RECENTLY FINISHED HIS NOVEL. AND IS NOW PLANNING TO MAKE A NEW NOVEL ON...
15.3K 530 11
She never attends class and has no friends. She does her work but is never seen. She's never had much social interaction and yet she falls in love...
212K 5.4K 47
"𝗜𝗠 𝗦𝗨𝗖𝗛 𝗔 𝗕𝗨𝗥𝗗𝗘𝗡" [l/n] [f/n] moves to Miyagi and leaves her old life in America. She will be attending Karasuno as a first-year studen...
158K 4.8K 47
Suzume grew up playing volleyball with her brother. She was right-handed, but after being so inspired by her brother, she was determined to make her...