Enigma // (Haikyuu x OC)

By jxntxn

//on hiatus on further notice// "But love is an enigma." Enigma : a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzl... More

before we begin
new year, new season, same fangirls
into the past
the team
convenience store conversations
first name basis
the captain
yelling across the halls
cafe and a practice match
the results
the only one
changing feelings and blackmail
the greatest manager
the little giant and the little fox
prelims and celebrations
cheer up baby
let's go to Tokyo!
cat's cradle
sign of the times
dropkick of truth
training camp sparks
the looking glass
adore you
back to miyagi
thicker than water
king of the court
getting to know the new you
the winner takes it all pt.1
the winner takes it all pt.2
ramen shop and jump buddies
inarizaki investigation team!
of crows and eagles
an alien
godzilla

lover boy

5.7K 235 114
By jxntxn

Mayumi was lucky this time, Fukurodani had not just one, but two managers, so Osamu and her did not have to stay up making double the amount of onigiri. It was a hassle sometimes to go through and shape every single one, boys seemed to have a never ending appetite.

However, working alongside Osamu was peaceful in a way. He only had a few snide remarks here and there to his twin, so he was able to keep quiet or joke around with her whenever Atsumu would walk away and go back to his current obsession - Animal Crossing. She also knew that the insults they would throw at each other were out of brotherly love, just typical sibling behavior, and she giggled to herself when it was just the three of them at home like this.

Sure they could be extra at practice and in front of others, but it was all a show sometimes. Just sometimes though, Atsumu could be a bit too much to deal with during practice and matches, even Mayumi would have to join in with Osamu and Suna to bring him down a notch or two.

Insults made for better friendships.

---------------------

Atsumu took the longest to get ready, tumbling down the stairs from his room while Osamu and her were busy packing everything up in order to set up early. She would have to get the gym ready for the teams, and she wouldn't be able to put up the net without a bit of help (aka Osamu since he was nicer to wake up in the morning). They thanked her profusely for making granola bars, they would have been starving until onigiri time without her. It became quiet very quickly on their journey to school as the two brothers ate their breakfast to-go, and Mayumi relished in the tranquility.

The three of them were the first to arrive, with the upperclassmen and their fellow 2nd years coming into the gym shortly after. Everyone on the starting line up wanted to get more time to warm up - most likely due to what they heard about the energetic ace they will be facing. Not much was known about the team aside from the ace. Fukurodani, like Inarizaki, has gone to Nationals in recent years - the previous due to the power of their ace. Mayumi herself was excited in her own way, ready to see the famed owl-head in person, rather than just snippets of interviews and replays of their matches.

Mayumi was wrapped up in Shinsuke-senpai's jacket, supplying her with much needed warmth as she wore her white shirt and and black workout-short combo. The walk to school had a unexpected chill in the air, she wasn't ready for the cold nights that were steadily approaching. Her and Shinsuke-senpai greeted each other, Mayumi giving him a blinding smile. She asked how is grandmother is doing since she did not walk home with him last night and say hello to her.

His heart always seemed to warm at her words, his grandmother was making bets on when their wedding would be. Shinsuke-senpai made sure to let her know their was no rush in giving back his jacket - that whatever was his is also hers.

The team had gone for their warm up jog, not expecting the opposing team to be arriving for another hour or so, and Mayumi took the time to fill up their water bottles, as well as extras for the Fukurodani players. It would be a bit cruel in her eyes to put their managers to work right away, especially in an unfamiliar school campus.

And while she was concerned for the other manager, she didn't even think about carrying back two sets of water bottles. She could barely bring back one carrier, let alone two. Mayumi was ready to leave one carrier and transport them one at a time, until someone picked them up in front of her. She went to glance up to thank her savior when she scarred by his sudden, and loud, booming voice.

"These go to the gym!" Was that supposed to be a question, or was his talking voice always at a yell?

He was in a white tracksuit, with black trimming down the side. She knew he must have been from Fukurodani, yet looking at his face - she smirked inwardly, he sure represented his school well with his appearance.

Found you, owl-boy.

"Ah! Yes, thank you so much for helping me... ?" She knew his name already, but it would ruin her plan if she gave that away. Mayumi tried her best not to cringe at her own sickly sweet fake voice. Being charming was never her strong-suit, but she's done enough research on this ace. Now to reel him in.

Sweet-talk him, compliment him, and if needed - break him down.

"I'm Bokuto Kotaro!!!" Remember when she said he was loud before? That was nothing compared to now.

"You're so sweet for helping me Bokuto-san, and so strong too~" On the inside she was face-palming herself. Was it always this difficult to flirt? Atsumu made it seem so easy with his hoard of fan-girls. The payoff was worth it, Mayumi could see his blush at her words and as she rested her hand on his arms. "I'll show you the way to the gym."

They made their way through the gym doors, Bokuto making himself known instantly with a "HEY HEY HEY!" over to his team. Mayumi gave him a slight wave as a goodbye, he blushed again at her, she headed over her team with their water carrier. Bokuto wasn't done yelling it seemed, proceeding to call out an 'Akaashi'.

"Oi, Mayu-baka what were you doing, fraternizing with the enemy like that?" Atsumu was instantly at her side and dragged her to the Inarizaki benches. She felt bad for making them wait on the water, but;

"In all due time, my dear 'Tsumu, you'll see the plan come to life." All eyes were on her, the coaches had an idea of what she was planning, but the poor 1st-years had no idea how cold she could be. "Just give me until about half-way through the first set and you'll see what I've got."

---------------------

She finished giving her own pep-talk to her team, Shinsuke-senpai and Coach Oomi taking over to instruct them on the starting formation. Inarizaki was in their white practice shirts and black shorts, while Fukurodani sported navy shirts and white shorts. Mayumi made her way to their bench, greeting the opposing coaches and managers while supplying their pennies for the game.

Both Kaori-senpai and Yukie-senpai were kind and grateful to the younger manager, as she saved them lots of time by filling their bottles prior to them arriving. Mayumi thought they were sweet, and offered to show them the cafe, the same one that she went to yesterday with the twins, after their day was over. Seeing the two of them work together in sync to get their team cooperating made Mayumi wish she sought after an assistant manager as well. It was never too late to teach someone the ropes, but she worried that they would be stalkers of the twins and did not want to risk it without a proper evaluation. She'll bring it up to the coaches on Monday.

The first set began with Fukurodani serving and Inarizaki receiving. It was better to save the unexpected power of Atsumu's serves until later on in the match - opening up with his service ace or stellar float serve would set the tone wrong for the remainder of the game.

She stood next to Shinsuke-senpai, close enough that their shoulders grazed each other if they moved slightly, but niether minded the lack of distance between them. When they are both at the bench at the same time, they're attached to the hip practically. Mayumi praises Shinsuke-senpai's keen eye, and he benefits from her perspective when making decisions.

He wanted to be selfish a bit more and stay close to her, especially knowing the plan she has in store for the opposing ace.

She kept her eyes on Bokuto as he jumped around everywhere. She wanted him to know that she was looking at him more than anyone else.

'Operation: Lover Boy begins.'

a/n: Wow!! It's only been a little over a day since I last updated when I was at 100 reads. At the time when I am writing this chapter, that amount doubled, and this story is at 200 reads. Seriously, were did y'all come from? I love everyone who put in the time to read this story so far, I've had the most fun writing this.

I'll go easy on our man Bokuto, he can be a big dummy sometimes - but he's our big dummy :>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 4.3K 39
(M.Atsumu x fem!reader) "𝐈 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐏 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐁𝐔𝐓 𝐈𝐓'𝐒 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐎𝐎 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄." L/n Y/n a girl who foolishly falls inl...
442K 14.5K 49
[[COMPLETED]] (L/n) (Y/n), a third year from Aoba Johsai is also the manager for the Boys' Volleyball Club. Join her in their wacky and stupid advent...
187K 5.3K 15
You move to Japan after living in the states as a child, leaving your childhood friends behind. You now go to Karasuno high but didn't expect to find...
120K 4.7K 62
[Complete; 200k+ words] One way or another, the Makoshima children have been dogged by misfortune ever since the beginning. Different people cope in...