Chasing Mr. Carlton ( The sto...

By egeecotton

NOTE: I don't have a cover for this story yet- anyone wanna take a whack at it? Bobby Darling had her eyes on... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
One Summer...
2
3
4
5
End

Part 45

214 15 0
By egeecotton

"Yes, that's right." 

Nick walked into Matt's office after a cursory knock and stopped, noting he was on the phone. He would have walked back out, would have left the room but Matt waved. He closed the door behind him and strolled about the office, pretending to be interested in the books or items but unable to completely ignore the conversation. 

Yes, she's 15. I'll email you the information but you should get in touch with DFPS in Texas." Matt said, making Nick raising a brow. What in the world was he talking about?

"Yes. Just do, cost is no issue." Matt continued. "Yes. Anytime. Okay. Thank you."

Nick watched as Matt hung up his phone and slipped it into his pocket. Then, he ran his hands through his hair, messing up before loosening his tie. It was the end of the day, a long day and now, nearly 8pm, Nick was just as ready as Matt seemed to be to go home. 

"Tough call?" Nick asked and Matt turned to him, staring at him for a second as if he had forgotten that he was there. Matt sighed. 

"There's nothing about it that wasn't." Matt answered, making Nick move towards him. 

"What the hell is DPS?" Nick asked. 

"DFPS." Matt corrected, "It's the Department of Family Protective Services." 

"What... why... what?" Nick asked and Matt took a seat, motioning for him to do the same. 

"It's the state agency in Texas that deals with foster care." He said. 

"looking to adopt?" Nick asked and Matt laughed. 

"Trust me, I have enough issues." Matt said and Nick stared at him for a second. 

"Right, the baby." Nick said and Matt stared at him wide eyed. 

"How did you... triplet thing?" He asked and Nick laughed. 

"No, triplet isn't THAT strong." Nick said. "I overheard that night."

Matt nodded. He'd almost forgotten Nick was there. 

"So, why are you so worried about the department of family..." Nick began, trying to distract him.

"Department of Family Protective Services." Matt said. 

"Right. Them." Nick said. 

"Bobby." Matt said. 

"You're adopting Bobby?" Nick said, trying to break the tension with a joke but Matt frowned. 

"Not funny." Matt said. 

"I'm sorry but can you stop being so cryptic and tell me what's going on?" Nick said. 

"Bobby's little sister is lost somewhere in the system in Texas." Matt said. "We realized that she had been taken into foster care when we were in there for her brother's funeral." 

"Why is she in foster care?" Nick asked.

"There's a lot I can't say but her home life was less than ideal." Matt said and Nick nodded. 

"Bobby doesn't like to talk about her past." Nick said, making Matt raise his brow. "You're not the only person who notices Bobby. She doesn't take calls from family, never talks about them either."

"When Bobby left home, her sister was still quite young, around 8." Matt said. "Now she's going crazy, blaming herself."

"She was 18, pretty much a kid herself, what could she have done?" Nick asked and Matt agreed. 

"I know, but you know how Bobby is." Matt said. "Anyway, she's been in contact with CPS here and the social workers are trying but the system is very broken."

"So what are you gonna do about it?" Nick asked. 

"I've hired a PI." Matt said. 

"A private investigator?" Nick said. 

"Yes. Damn it, she's worried sick, I know she's worries sick." Matt said, putting his face in his hands. "I hate it."

"Well, your PI will find her, don't worry." Nick said. 

"I just... I know what I've put her through. All I wanted was to make her happy, to be the person who gets to make her happy and if I can't do it at her side, then, at least I can do it like this." Matt said. 

Nick stared at him for a second. It was obvious he was distraught, obvious he was suffering.

"Give her time." Nick said. "It's a shock to say the least. I can't imagine all the different things going through her head."

"I know, I know." Matt said. 

"Right now, it seems impossible to her but with time, when she sees that you remain constant in your feelings... she'll come around." Nick said and Matt sighed. 

"I'm not so sure." Matt said. "I know her so well, steadfast, constant in a way I never knew how and always so firm and direct. She really believes she's doing the right thing and she doesn't turn her back on her beliefs." 

"Even Bobby is wrong sometimes." Nick said and Matt chuckled but it was humorless.

"Yes, my little Bobby is although she won't admit it. She's wrong about this but what can I do?" Matt said. 

"You really do love her." Nick said and Matt stared at his brother. 

"What about you? Why are you still crashing in my spare bedroom?" Matt asked and Nick frowned. 

"We're not talking about me." Nick said. 

"Well, you know everything about my love life so it's only fair." Matt said. 

"I'd rather not." Nick said but Matt insisted. 

"Come on, I'm your brother." Matt said. "Why did you fight with your husband?"

"He's not my husband." Nick said and Matt shrugged. 

"You two have lived together for like three years now. what's the difference?" Matt asked. 

"A lot of things are different." Nick said and Matt smiled. 

"Is that what you two are fighting about? Getting married?" Matt asked. 

"I hate you." Nick said angrily. "And no."

"So then, what is it?" Matt asked. "You just showed up in the middle of the night and it's been weeks, you're still here, not that I mind, and you ignore his calls and texts."

"What makes you think I'm ignoring him?" Nick asked. 

"Triplets." Matt said with a grin but Nick rolled his eyes. "He told me."

"Wow." Nick said in disbelief, "I can't believe he called you."

"Don't get upset. He just wanted to make sure that you were okay. He didn't ask for any other details and neither did I." Matt said. 

"Thanks." Nick muttered, looking down at the desk and fiddling with the phone in his hands. 

"So?" Matt asked. 

"So..." Nick replied. "So... I think I need a drink." 

"Finally."

---

"You look like shit." 

"Thanks." Bobby said with a frown as Eddie walked up to her. She was walking out of her office, bag over her shoulder, much later than usual. 

"I mean it, you look like shit." He replied. 

"Okay, Eddie. I get it." She said, looking at him wide eyed. 

"I'm not trying to be rude or mean but... Bobby, it's obvious you haven't been sleeping well." Eddie said, walking back towards his desk.  She followed.

"Am I supposed to apologize for it?" She asked and he sighed. 

"NO but I bet you're not doing anything to help yourself either." He said, sounding a bit upset. "I wish you would take better care of yourself."

"Why do I feel like you're mad at me?" She asked. 

"I'm not mad at you." Eddie said. "I'm sorry."

"What's wrong?" She asked, looking at him. 

"Nothing." He muttered but she shook her head and reached out, putting a hand on his shoulder. 

"I'm sorry." She said. "I haven't been a very good friend recently. I've been so involved in my own problems." 

"No, you have a lot on your plate." He said but Bobby shook her head again. 

"It's no excuse. Talk to me, Eddie. It's good for you, good for both of us." She said. 

"I don't want to put more on your shoulders than you already have." He said.

"Talk." She said and he sighed, stuffing his hands into his pockets. 

"A pair of blue eyes." He said, making her lips curl slightly at the corners.

"Are you seeing someone?" She asked. He hadn't mentioned that he had met anyone. 

"Not really. He's got someone." Eddie said, making her raise a brow. 

"Like he has a boyfriend?" She asked and he nodded. "That's so unlike you."

It was true, Eddie never dated a man who was in a relationship and the moment he found out a man was unavailable, he completely scratched him off his list and kicked him out of his mind.

"I know!" He said, "But I can't help it." 

"So, what's his name? Where did you meet him?" She asked. 

"His name's not important but I met him through a friend. Although I'm not sure she realizes what's been going on." Eddie said. 

"So what's been going on?" She asked. 

"It's a long story." He said, grabbing his things and heading towards the elevator. 

"I've got time." She said, walking with him. 

"I don't know." He said as they waited. 

"Come on, I'll buy you a drink." She said, making him turn to her surprised. 

"You don't drink." He said with a raised brow. 

"But you do." She said and he laughed. 

"Okay, I accept." He said. 

They waited in a silence a few more seconds. 

"Any news about Ruth yet?" He asked and she sighed. 

"Nothing." She said simply. "But I talk to the social worker every other day."

"Well, I talked to my mother almost every other day." He said and she turned to him. 

"Does she know anything?" She asked, hoping...

"Not about Ruth." He replied. "But she did tell me your parents are gone."

"What do you mean gone?" She asked.

"As in they haven't been seen. She thinks they skipped town... rumor has it they owed a lot of money." He said and Bobby snorted. 

"Well, it was bound to happen eventually, I'm sure they didn't even own the trailer although, it was pretty much worthless." She said. 

"Yeah. She told me she went over a few days ago, left a note on the fridge for your sister in case she comes back telling her to call you." Eddie said and Bobby nodded. 

"Thank her for me." Bobby said. "My life is so out of control right now, I feel like I'm gonna throw up. I just get nauseous over it." 

"Well, you always were a control freak." He said and she laughed. 

"How long have we've been waiting for this stupid elevator." She said, feeling irritated. 

"Calm down, it's only been like a minute." He said and she sighed. 

"Has it? Its annoying." She said and he laughed. 

"God, seriously. Control freak." He said.  Then, as if the elevator could understand her complain, the doors opened with a ding. 

"Finally." She said, stepping in. 

"Wait... Hold it, Please!" 

Eddie leaned forward and placed his hand over the door to keep it from closing, poking his head out to see who was coming. 

It was Nick... and Matt. 

"Hey." Nick said, both he and Matt slowing down as they noticed who was in the elevator. 

"Hi." Eddie replied, moving his hand back quickly. 

"You know, I forgot something in my office. We'll take the next one." Nick said, a couple of seconds later, turning on his heel. "Sorry."

Eddie quickly moved to push the button and the elevator doors closed slowly. He turned, feeling relief begin to sweep over him but then he noticed it, the way Bobby and Matt stared at each other, their eyes meeting as the elevator doors slowly closed and how Bobby seemed to be holding her breath the whole time. 

Then, when the doors closed, she leaned back against the rail, pale as a ghost. 

"I think maybe you need a drink too." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 216 29
{NOTE: I WROTE THIS AT A VERY YOUNG AGE, NOT UNDERSTANDING THE PARTS WHERE I WAS CRAP AT WRITING AT THIS POINT AND HOW EVERYTHING IS VERY MELODRAMATI...
68 18 20
Her eyes... Her eyes were like a star strewn night ocean. It was the most beautiful shade of dark blue he had ever seen, and the irises were like the...
4.1K 248 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
121K 8K 43
When a total stranger knows what eats you, maybe they are your one true love. Even if you don't know it yet. || On Friday the 13th, two twenty-someth...