The Bet // Niall Horan

By BarelySam

"Why me?" He snapped his head up at my question and everything seemed to freeze in time. My heart was year... More

Prologue
1 - Leaving Home
2 - Surprises
3 - To Feed a Village
4 - Welcome to Paradise
5 - The Party
6 - The 'After Show'
7 - The Bet
8 - The Walk of Shame
9 - Just Keep Swimming
10 - Pride and Fury
11 - Get Out of My Head
12 - Cookie vs. Cream
13 - 20 Questions
14 - Today is Not My Day
15 - Cameron
16 - Water Wars
17 - Shaving Cream
18 - Headlines and Newscasters
20 - Drive-Through Terrors
21 - Fate
22 - Lists and Twitter
23 - Worth It
24 - We've Lost Control
25 - Water Balloons
26 - Pancakes
27 - The Date//Part One
28 - The Date//Part Two
29 - All Right Then.
30 - Confessions
31 - Nightmares
32 - Heartbeats

19 - Laser Tag

111 1 0
By BarelySam

The song at the top is literally the motto for this chapter bc it's summer and everyone is playing laser tag and it makes me want summer.

k enjoy ;)

-----

You know how sometimes you go to do something you've never done before and you have no idea how it'll end? You may end up hating it, or hurting yourself. But there's also that chance of you loving it and having the most fun you've had in years.

That was me and laser tagging.

As strange as it may sound, it's true. When Mason mentioned that we were going laser tagging today I nearly choked. I've always had a fear of people making fun of me because I suck at something, which is why I don't leave the safe place I call my comfort zone very often. Add on the fact that One Direction is going to be joining and you mind as well just hand be a paper bag to start heaving into. Don't get me wrong, I've always wanted to try laser tagging but within the comfort of people I've known for more than five days.

"Let's go!" Mason yelled from downstairs.

A forty-five minute car ride, which may or may not have included some major jam sessions, Shay, Mason, and I arrived at the house of horrors.

Aka: the laser tag building.

"Where da boys at?" Shay questioned.

"Zayn texted and said they got here five minutes ago," Mason replied.

"Oh so you guys are on texting terms now?" Shay winked.

"Why? Are you jealous?" Mason teased. Shay mumbled a 'no' as we walked through the doors. I was immediately hit with a strong odor of sweat and children's devilish screaming. Strangely, though, I couldn't wait to start playing.

Hmph. Bi-polar much, Carter?

"Ah well would you look at that, the gangs all here," Louis greeted as Mason and him did that bro hug thing. Mental note: ask Mason when he suddenly became so chummy with all of them. "You guys ready for this?"

"Baby I was born ready," Louis replied to Mason's question. All five were already in vests and were waiting in line for their laser guns. Everyone was conversing and looked ecstatic to be here. Meanwhile I was having an anxiety attack.

"If you don't stop over thinking everything, you might have an anxiety attack." The Irish accent was in close proximity to my left ear, almost sounding like my exact thoughts.

"Thanks Sherlock," I turned to face him as he stared down at me.

"I just didn't want you to hit the ground or anything. I don't know if I'd be able to hold you up. All that ice cream from the other night looks like it might be catching up with you," Niall teased. Everyone but us two had chosen their weapon and were waiting impatiently for us. I grabbed a blue one and handed Niall a red one so we were on opposing teams. "Oh, it is so on, Horan."

"Teams, velcro your vests and turn on your weapons. The game is about to begin." The announcers voice boomed throughout the room. Black light paint was on every wall and were illuminating through the darkness, giving off the only light in the entire room. The teams were on opposite sides of the room but, of course, there wasn't a clear shot at them. Tiny crevices and alleyways were blocking our path. Putting it more simply, it was a glowing maze.

Blue team, my teammates, ended up including Harry, Shay, and Louis. I'm pretty sure Shay had a mini fangirl moment before stepping into the game zone considering the fact that we was on a team with, wait for it...Harry Styles.

Our opposing team, red, was made up of the rest of them. Zayn, Liam, Mason, and Niall. Sure, it was an all guys team that probably had more experience in one of them then in our entire team but, hey. I wasn't giving up hope.

After I had stepped into the room and saw the black light paint, I knew no matter how bad I was at it I wasn't going down without a fight. Even if the fight included me struggling with the velcro on my vest...

"There ya go, love," Harry chuckled as he fixed my vest like it was switching on a light switch. Needless to say, I already felt stupid. I nervously laughed, "velcro isn't really my thing, I'm more of a laces person." Harry, thankfully, laughed at my shoe joke.

"Sounds like a joke I'd say. Good one Anderson." I smiled proudly as the announcers voice came back on. "On the count of three, you are free to move from your starting position. If you are shot, you must go back to your teams starting line to reset your light. Each time you make a shot, your team wins ten points. Every time your light goes out, your team loses three. Players ready!" The four of us got in a starting position and got our game faces on. "Three...two...ONE!" And we were off to the races.

I had lost every single person from my team in the maze. Fantastic, I know. The loser who was having an attack right outside the doors was left alone. You can thank my teammates for that one.

"Aha!" I wheeled around at the sound to find Louis pointing his laser at my vest, not doing anything to it. "Fuck!"

"Louis, you do realize you aren't supposed to shoot your teammates, right?" I asked seriously, knowing fully well he knew.

"You're literally the only person I've found. These walls are fucking stupid," he hit one to make his point. I chuckled a bit before making a proposition, "let's team up and I'm sure we can take them down one by one before our time runs out." We high fived before I led him through the maze, being careful on my turns making sure no one was waiting. After who knows how long, I heard a noise. "Louis, shush," I commanded, he still hadn't stopped complaining about the maze.

"You go that way and I'll go this way. We'll meet up by their beginning line and get them before they can even resume playing." I recognized one voice as Mason's but I didn't know who he was talking to.

"Damn it, that's a really good plan," Louis cursed.

"Guess we'll just have to make sure they never go through with it," I snickered. Maybe I'm not so bad at this game...

Two seconds later I heard footsteps coming towards the wall I was hiding behind. Louis had moved over to another opening to stop the other half of red teams plan. I sucked in a breath making sure I wasn't making a noise. The footsteps became louder and just as they were about to take the turn, I flew out onto my side and shot my laser at my opponents vest. "Shit!"

Niall.

"Good try, lucky charms, but today luck is not on your side," I said victoriously I patted the light on his vest before turning around to find a new hiding position. "Ten points for blue and minus three for red," I mentioned before turning a corner and away from the blonde loser.

"Players, two minutes remain." The announcers voice boomed once again nearly giving me a heart attack. I had no idea who was winning but I was doing quite well. And I'm not just tooting my own horn. Besides Niall, I had shot Mason once and Liam three times. Zayn still MIA like he normally is. As for me, I was all shoots and no deaths. Fifty points for my team just from me. Needless to say, I wasn't the worst at the game.

I didn't have much of a tactic. I kinda just ran around listening for others and popped a squat when I did hear something. Attacking never failed to bring me joy. I never found Louis again which was kind of disappointing and who knew where Shay and Harry went. Hopefully they were playing the game and not just hiding out if you're picking up what I'm putting down.

"Ugh! What the fuck, Horan!"

Found Louis...and Niall and they were only a few walls over. Slowly and quietly I made my way while they screamed colorful words at each other. Apparently they both get pretty intense at these things. "It's the name of the game, Louis. I shoot and hit you because you suck."

"Well excuse me, but I do believe you were the one who ran into me!"

"You should've shot faster if you wanted to live!"

Ugh, boys.

I hid behind a wall just in time to watch Louis storm away and without hesitation I jumped out from behind the wall and hit...other wall?

Nope. Just Niall.

"Battah bing, battah boom, love." He grinned viciously and pointed his gun down at my vest which, along with the rest of my body, was on the ground. My gun helplessly laid two feet too far from my reach. But since my competitive side refused to let him get his payback from earlier in the game, I did what I had to do. I kicked him in the shin and in his moment of weakness, I leaped for my gun and turned on him. His hunched body giving me a clear shot of the back of his vest. "So long, love," I mocked and shot him with my blue laser as the bell sounded, signaling the end of the game.

"Shit, seriously! Laser tagging isn't supposed to hurt!" he complained.

"Try telling that to your shin," I winked before finding my way out of the black lighted room.

Once all eight of us were out, the TV screen displayed out scores. On team red, Niall had the most points with 40 and Zayn had the least with 0. "At least I didn't have negative 9." Louis shot him a glare, "hey, it was dark in there." On my team I had leading points with 60 and Shay had the lowest with 10. My team had a total of 91 while red had only 70.

"I believe a victory dance for blue team is in order," I turned to face the opposing team, a big grin on my face.

"Violence is never the answer," Niall argued.

"That was once, and it just so happened to be you," I winked.

"Aw heck no." I didn't had time to react to Niall's statement before I was thrown over his shoulder, my stomach resting on it as I yelped in surprise.

"Niall Horan, how many times do you have to do this?"

"As many times as it takes before you learn that I'm better than you." I could hear his triumphant laughs coming through his lips and the shaking of his shoulders. I stopped hitting his back and crossed my arms. "Guess this'll never end."

One of his arms was wrapped securely around the pits of my knees and the other one on the small of my back. Oddly, considering I was facing the ground upside down, I felt safe. He chuckled a few more times as we walked towards the cars, "I guess not."

------------

A/N

#dreamdate

Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. A little bit of action shimming into the story. Luckily I'll be able to update this week since I'll have a few day off of school.

Last First Kiss came on as I was writing this and their voices have changed so much it hurts my heart. They're so old omg.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 166 73
"Why are you doing this to me?" I asked him. "Because I can and I will." He said moving closer to me. "Why does it have to be like this. We can wor...
50K 2K 19
❝I felt his curls brush against my face. “Well then, let’s not say goodbye,” he replied. “What do you want to say?” I chuckled. “How about…” Harry tu...
14.7K 1.5K 90
"I don't know what you're thinking about... But I'm never letting you go. You're stuck with me"
3.7K 103 30
'I think I'm in love with my best friend, But I keep it to myself because I'm too scared to loose him'