Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy...

By Staceeeeers

Roxanne Taylor (Born 16th October 1951) is Roger Taylor's cousin. The two of them have always been close desp... More

cast list + prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight**
'39
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty four.five**
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three**
sixty four
sixty five
sixty six
sixty seven
sixty eight
sixty nine
seventy.five
seventy one
seventy two
seventy three
seventy four
seventy five
seventy six
seventy seven
seventy eight
seventy nine
eighty
eighty one
eighty two
eighty three
eighty four
eighty five
eighty six
eighty seven
eighty eight**
eighty nine
ninety
ninety one
ninety two
ninety three
ninety four
ninety five
ninety six
ninety seven
ninety eight
ninety nine
one hundred
one hundred and one
one hundred and two
one hundred and three
one hundred and four
one hundred and five
one hundred and six
one hundred and seven
one hundred and eight
one hundred and nine
one hundred and ten
one hundred and eleven
one hundred and twelve
one hundred and thirteen
one hundred and fourteen
one hundred and fifteen
one hundred and sixteen (or epilogue)

seventy

2.7K 97 414
By Staceeeeers

It was here, the twelve-week mark had finally arrived and while Roxanne was relieved and excited that she and John could tell people now, she was also filled with the fear because now, now was the time that they had to tell their parents. 

They were going to go up to Scotland and Leicester to tell them but then Rebecca had suggested that they bring Roxy's parents and John's mum down to Wales instead which in all honesty, was a better idea. They could show their parents around the studio to let them see what the band were working on and when the time came, if things went south (which they probably would), at least their friends and such were there too. 

But John wanted to make sure that's how she wanted to do it. He'd asked her if she was the night before as they were sitting down to have dinner. 

"I think it's the best way," she murmurs, pouring herself some water, "I mean it gets it over and done with quickly and if your mum is there, there's less chance of my dad attacking you." 

Okay, maybe she was being dramatic but his face had paled dramatically once she'd said that. 

The next morning, he was woken by Roxanne clambering over him (and standing on him) as she made her way to the bathroom and he heard Roger yelling at her to get out when it's clear that she's interrupted his shower. 

"That doesn't bode well for today," he murmurs as he too rolls out of bed so he can go check that she's alright.

The pair of them were now sleeping in one of the upstairs bedrooms thanks to Brian, who had offered to swap rooms with them so Roxanne had a better chance of sleeping and honestly, she wonders what they did to deserve him sometimes. 

"Rox," he taps lightly on the door, "You alright?"

"Don't you dare come in here, Deaky!" Roger yells. 

"Relax," he mutters, "I won't. Rox?" 

"I'm fine," she croaks before he hears her being sick again and he steps back when he feels a hand on his back. 

"I'll see to her," Rebecca says softly and Deaky thanks her as she disappears into the bathroom as well. 

"Bloody hell," Roger mumbles, "Can't a man have a shower in peace? Becca, love, could you hand me that towel, please?" 

A few minutes later, Roger steps out of the bathroom with said towel around his waist and John wastes no time in moving by him. 

"I'll get you some water," Rebecca says quietly before he takes her place, rubbing Roxanne's back as she rests against the toilet. 

"A rough one, huh?" he asks and she nods.

"Yep," she practically throws herself back over the toilet as she's plagued by another round and John quickly gathers her thick hair into his hands so it's out of harm's way, "I swear that this kid is trying to kill me." 

He rips some toilet paper and gently wipes her mouth as Rebecca returns, "'m sure that's not true."

"All I'm trying to do is give them a warm and snug place to live and this is how they repay me. We'll be having words when they make an appearance." 

After getting some water down her, John helps her up so she can brush her teeth, leaning against the counter as she rinses with mouthwash, "Today's the day." 

"It is," she nods, wiping her mouth with a towel. 

"What's the plan?" 

They leave the bathroom and go downstairs, "Not really thought that far, have we? I guess...pick them up, introduce them, come back here, let them see what you lot have been doing, have some lunch and then..." 

"Then we tell them," John nods, covering his face, "This is their first time meeting and we're dropping this on them." 

Roxanne wraps her arm around his shoulder and rubs his arm, "It'll be alright." 

John sincerely doubts that. 

++|++

The two of them pick their parents up at 12 sharp, arriving at the bus station fifteen minutes before the scheduled arrival time so they weren't late. 

Cathy and Greg are the first to arrive and Roxy climbs out of the car so she could go greet them. 

John follows more slowly, shaking her father's hand as Roxy hugs her mum.

"John," Cathy greets, kissing his cheek, "Lovely to see you again. I can't wait to get back and see everyone again! And meet Roger's girlfriend!" 

"You'll love her!" Roxy grins and for a few moments, as the four of them head to another bus stand to wait for Lillian, who arrives just fifteen minutes later.

John drops Roxy's hands as he goes to hug her and Roxy can't help but smile but then, to her horror, a tear runs down her cheek. 

What the fuck? 

She manages to wipe it away before anyone notices and when Lillian holds her arms out, she steps into her embrace.

"Oh, it's so good to see you two!" she looks at her son again, "I swear you look more grown-up every time I see you." 

"Lillian," Roxanne waves her mum and dad over, "These are my parents, Cathy and Greg." 

They greet each other with handshakes and kisses on cheeks before John takes his mum's bag and they head back to the car. 

Roxanne sits in the back with their mums while her dad sits upfront with John and the journey back is mostly filled with the two men talking while her mum is inviting Lillian up to the B&B for a weekend.

She's glad that they're getting on but really, Roxy shouldn't be surprised because her mum finds it very easy to get on with people.

The three of them were staying at the Woodside in the village since the house was so full and after a quick stop at the hotel, they go onto the house and when they pull up into the yard and John's brought the car to a halt, they all get out and Greg's peering up at the building. 

"I thought this was a recording studio." 

"The barn is," Roxanne says as she moves to stand beside him, "The house is mostly just for eating and sleeping."

"Doesn't look like any studio I've ever seen." 

"It's actually quite a great place," John tells him as they hear the piano being played, "We get a lot done out here. It's quiet, no one to distract us."

Roxanne nods, "You should hear some of the things they've come up with." 

Remember how Freddie wanted Roxy and Becca here for a big unveiling? Well, they were here but it never happened. Freddie had played something for the two of them on the piano instead, a song that he'd written for Mary called Love of My Life and yes, it was beautiful and yes, the pair of them had almost started crying. 

But now, as the five of them enter the barn where the rest of the band plus Rebecca are, Roxy has a feeling that what he's playing now, might be part of his big plan and she leans against the wall as he tries to fit lyrics with the tune.

"I don't wanna die. I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all...

"That sounds promising," she pipes up, making Freddie and the others turn their gaze to the back of the studio.

"Darlings!" his face lights up, "You're back! Cathy, how wonderful to see you again!" 

Next to her and Roger, Roxy knows that it's Freddie her mum has been excited to see.

Once they've all been reacquainted with one another, Roger holds his hand out for Rebecca's and he brings her forward so his aunt and uncle can meet her.

"So lovely to meet you," her mum gushes, "Really, it's wonderful to see him looking so happy. Winnie will be chuffed, eh Greg?" 

"Mhm," 

"Ignore him," Cathy waves a hand, "He's never been big on meeting new folks." 

John clears his throat, "Alright, Rox and I will go get started on lunch. Rog, how about you let everyone hear what we've been working on?" 

The blonde doesn't exactly look thrilled at having to spend time with Rox's dad but when he sees the pleading look she's giving him, he slaps what he hopes is a convincing smile on his face and nods, "Yeah, alright. Fred, you wanna play something?" 

++|++

Cathy and Lillian were getting on swimmingly. All through lunch, the pair were chatting away, mostly sharing stories of their children when they were younger. 

Greg even relaxed a little bit and partook in a conversation with Brian and Roger, telling the that he thought the album sounded promising (he particularly liked Death on Two legs). 

As they were eating, John kept a hand on Roxy's knee, giving it a reassuring pat when he felt her starting to stress. It was getting closer and closer to telling them.

Lillian and Cathy insisted that since they prepared the lunch, that they, along with Greg, would do the washing up and so the rest of the band and Rebecca took their leave.

"You'll be fine," Rebecca whispers as they head out the door. They're only going back to the barn but both she and Roger want to give them some encouragement.

"How angry do you think he's going to get?" Roger asks, wrapping his arms around her, "Where are we on the scale?" 

Roxy releases a breath, "Remember the time you accidentally hit the handbrake on the car and you ended up running over his foot?" 

"Wrecked his football career?" 

She nods. 

"Yeah, that was pretty bad. Though, he was already pretty shit at it, Rox." 

She gives him a look as if to say not the time and he nods, bringing her back in for another hug. 

"Right, sorry. We'll be right over there if you need us." 

John returns from upstairs as she shuts the door behind Roger, "You ready?" 

"Yeah," she nods, though the bubbles in her stomach told her otherwise. 

Before they return back through to their parents, he brings her hand to his mouth so he can kiss the back of it, "We've got this."

Their parents are still washing up when they return and so they decide to just sit at the counter. 

"This place is lovely," Lillian smiles when she notices that they're sitting there, "I can see why they made it a recording studio." 

"And Freddie's song was so beautiful," Cathy sighs, "How come you never did anything romantic like that?" 

Roxy's dad, who's stuck on drying duty, rolls his eyes and says nothing, causing Cathy to huff and go back to washing. 

Roxy looks at John, who nods before clearing his throat, "So, we didn't ask you down here just for a visit." 

"Oh?" his mum asks while Greg sighs and throws his towel down on the counter. 

"Of course you didn't." 

"You didn't?" 

"No," John continues, "We uh, we actually have something to tell you." 

"You're not getting married, are you?" 

Roxanne lets out a weak laugh, wiping her hands on her skirt as she shares one last nervous glance with John, "No. No, we're not." 

"Thank god." 

"But we are having a baby." 

It was out. She'd said it and now John's hand was clutching her's tightly under the counter. 

"Having a baby," Cathy laughs, smacking her dad's shoulder, "That's a good one, eh?" 

Greg points the spoon he's drying at them, "Vey. Carrying on the joke, that's funny. Even for you Rox." 

The only one (other than her and John) who wasn't laughing, was Lillian. She's looking between the two of them with her hand resting on her chest, "I...I don't think they're joking."

John can't meet her gaze. This was ridiculous - they were both adults and here they were acting like teenagers. 

"Of course they're joking. She can't be pregnant. Right, Roxanne?" Roxanne feels herself sinking lower into the stool she's sat on as her dad starts to ramble, "No, because my daughter, she's smarter than that. She wouldn't be stupid enough to let some lad get her knocked up." 

She can also feel her mum's stare and finally looks up, seeing that she too is covering her mouth, "Roxanne." 

"We're not joking," John finally speaks, "Roxanne is pregnant, we're having a baby and I know that it's a shock bu-" 

"A shock?" Greg all but yells and Roxanne squeezes her eyes shut.

"Dad-" 

"No," he barks, "No. You're going to sit there and you're going to listen. Do you know how stupid you're being? How irresponsable-" 

"Hey," John snaps, "Watch your mouth." 

Her dad ignores him, "Roxanne, you are twenty-four." 

"Yes, I'm well aware of that." 

"This is not the time for your attitude young lady."

"Greg," her mum tries again, "Will you please calm down? We can talk about this, there are options." 

"There are," John speaks again, "And we've spoken about them but we're keeping the baby."

"That'll be bloody right," Greg snaps, "No daughter of mine will be having a baby at twenty-four and unmarried." 

"It's not up to you," Roxanne says quietly, "This is not your decision to make." 

"The pair of you know nothing about taking care of a baby. How are you going to afford it? Was it not your frontman who was telling me that you're hundreds of thousands in debt? Who's going to help you, Roxanne? It certainly won't be us." 

"What the hell does that mean?" she asks, finally looking at him. 

"You know exactly what it means," he keeps his eyes on her, "You do this, we have nothing to do with it." 

"Greg!" 

"And you," her dad points at John, "What are you going to do if he's halfway across the world?"

Her mum, who had been pretty much silent through all of this finally speaks, "How far along are you?" 

"We hit the three-month mark earlier this week." as if a habit, Roxanne rests her hand on her stomach. 

"Jesus Christ," that set her dad off again, "Three fucking months? What, did you just forget to mention it? You know, you've done some pretty stupid things in your life, Roxanne but this, this really is the stupidest-" 

"That's enough!" Lillian says loudly as John stands up and the woman quickly comes around the counter, placing a hand on her son's shoulder to get him to sit down again, "That is enough. Now, as the two of them have said, it's not up to us. This is their decision and although it is a shock, I will fully support them." 

Roxanne turns into the woman as she wraps her arms around her, whispering a quiet thank you as she tells her that it's alright and shushing her. 

"I think it's a good time to bring this to an end," Lillian continues, "Maybe we should all just take some time to absorb the news. Some more than others." 

"Roxanne, if you do this." 

Roxanne can't bring herself to look at either of them, she knows that she's being a coward but the way her dad is looking at her, she doesn't think she'll be able to get that out of her head - even if he does come around. She just keeps her face hidden in Lillian's shoulder.

"I think you should go," John says, surprising himself when his voice comes out calmly considering that his hands are shaking.

"We're not done-" 

"Yes you are," John snaps, "'m not having you upset her any more than you already have now I'm asking you nicely to leave. We can continue this tomorrow." 

Greg looks between him and his daughter, realising that she wasn't going to look at him but he doesn't move until his wife gives him a gentle push.

"Come on." 

John looks at her mum as they gather their coats. Why wasn't she saying anything? Cathy Taylor is probably the only one who knows how to deal with her husband's behaviour (he's seen it) but here he is, completely laying into their daughter and she says nothing. Not even attempting to stop him.

"John," his mum's voice snaps him out of it, seeing her give him a look that says Don't do something you'll regret and nods to the young woman currently sobbing on her shoulder.

He quickly takes her place, running his hands through her hair to try and calm her.

"They hate me!" she cries when she's sure that Lillian has also left them alone. 

"No, they don't." 

She pulls back and his heart breaks when she looks up at him, "How can you possibly say that after that shit show?" 

"They're upset," he says, gently running his thumb under her eyes to wipe away the tears and he can't believe he's saying something to make excuses for them but he needs her to relax and calm down, "They've had a shock. Maybe they just need a little time." 

"What if they don't?" she asks, "I mean, are we being stupid?"

"Stop it," he whispers, brushing her cheek with his thumbs, "We know we can do this. It's going to be hard, we know that but we can, Rox." 

She nods. 

"And if they're going to be like that then...we don't need them." 

She nods again. They could do it.

++|++

the ending is a little bit iffy but as i've said, i really do struggle to write confrontation or anger, something that i really do need to work on

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.1K 209 5
A bunch of imagines about the one and only, Roger Meddows Taylor. You can picture Ben!Roger if you prefer; it's all up to you! Enjoy, Queenies! We ne...
46.4K 1.4K 40
"We don't have long." "When I'm with you, time is irrelevant." When the past meets the future and brings a relationship with an expiration date. Y/N...
49.3K 1.3K 110
A young girl has just moved to London she has nobody no friends no job only a small house and a local pub which she visits every night but things cha...
22.2K 445 11
Roger Taylor love story Queen Fanfiction