twenty one

Thankfully Freddie didn't force Roger to sell the van right away - he'd protested saying that the van was still needed to transport them and their instruments to gigs and so after getting a quote for the vehicle, Freddie agreed to keep hold of it until they found a studio that was in their price range and until they got the rest of the money to book said studio.

And in the doing of all of this, Roxy had somehow taken on the role of being booking manager of Queen; taking phonecalls from pubs and universities that wanted them to play and she kept a note of dates and times.

"Lion and the Unicorn want you to play again," she tells John as she wipes down the table he's sat at, waiting for Roger who was meeting him at the diner.

"Really?" he muses, "Funny that it took them so long to let us play there in the first place."

"Now they can't get enough of you," she teases, "What time do you think you'll be done tonight?"

"I'm not sure. Depends if Roger can tear himself away from Alyssa for a couple a couple of hours and actually come and get me."

Ah yes. Roger and Alyssa. When Roger -finally- managed to explain himself (by that, he means he got Mary to explain the situation to her), the raven-haired woman decided to give the drummer a second chance and since then, Roxy had hardly seen him.

And she still hadn't gotten an apology from the woman for calling her a slag.

"I don't think we'll be very long," John continues, "Why?"

Roxy shrugs, "University challenge is on."

"You hate that programme."

"Yeah, but you like it," she says, making him smile, "Besides, I always feel like a genius when I actually get a question right,"

"Alright then," he murmurs as Roger finally arrives, "Then it's a date."

"Roger," Roxanne greets as he comes in from the rain, holding his jacket over his head to protect his precious hair.

"Nice of you to remember to pick me up," John stands up to pull on his own jacket.

"Someone had a good night," she notes, tugging at the collar of his shirt and he smirks.

"And a good morning."

John rolls his eyes, "Alright, shall we go? Before Freddie murders us for being late."

"After you," Roger sweeps an arm towards the door, "Oh, Nessie, Freddie told me to remind you that-"

"You're all coming round to mine tomorrow morning, I know." she pats him on the shoulder, "He told me that four times."

"I'm just doing as I was told," he shrugs, "Right, come on, Deaky."

John nods and grabs the case that contains his bass and leans down to kiss her cheek but she puts a finger to his lips.

"Hang on," she whispers, looking around to make sure that there are no other customers or that her manager isn't lurking around. "Alright," she grins, standing on her tiptoes so she can kiss him, "I'll see you tonight."

"I'll bring food," he promises before Roger is dragging him out the door.

++|++

The rain is still pouring when she clocks out at six and by the time she's nearing home, she's drenched and cannot wait to get changed into some dry clothes.

"Rox!"

She turns at the sound of John's voice, seeing him heading towards her with an umbrella and a bag of food.