twenty three

Two weeks later, finding a studio was still proving to be difficult. They were either too expensive or too small and Roxanne could tell that the band were all starting to lose hope.

She continued to take bookings for them; pubs, clubs, the usual stuff while she went about her days in the diner and at home.

The band, except for John who was at work, were all at the diner keeping her company since the only other person who was there was Doug, who prefered to stay in the kitchen and listen to his radio than talk to her. Roger and Freddie were hunched over their table while Brian was sat with Roxy, toying with his guitar, occasionally singing softly as he tried to come up with some new ideas.

"Play something," she pleads, leaning against the counter, "I've heard the Andrews Sisters five times already and I've only been in an hour."

He smiles, "I don't think Doug would approve."

She groans and picks up her cleaning cloth to go wipe down their table even though it's not dirty, "You two are awfully concentrated on something...care to share?"

"We're planning a party for Deaky," Freddie answers and she frowns.

"A party? Why?"

The pair look at each other, "Because it's his birthday on Saturday?"

She falls down onto the seat beside Freddie, "It's what?"

"It's his birthday, Nessie," Roger laughs, "The nineteenth."

"I..." she trails off, "He hasn't mentioned it."

"You know Deaky," Brian says, sitting down across from her, "He doesn't really like to draw attention to himself."

"But it's his birthday!" she cries, "What am I going to do?"

"Make him a cake," Roger shrugs, "He enjoyed my one."

"I can't just make him a cake, Roger." Roxanne frowns, "I'll need to buy him something!"

"You don't have to buy him anything, darling." Freddie wraps a comforting arm around her.

"You could make him a romantic meal," her cousin wiggles his eyebrows at her and she immediately sinks lower into her seat.

"Leave her alone, Roger," Brian mumbles, going back to strumming his guitar.

"It's just a suggestion!"

It was a suggestion. A good one actually. She's a decent cook but to her, that feels like a bit of a cop-out.

"Why don't you get him a new strap for his bass?" Brian suggests, "He's always saying that the one he's got now is close to snapping."

"Ah!" Roxy leans across the table and kisses him loudly on the cheek, "That's what I was looking for. A serious suggestion. Thank you, Brian."

Brian's face turns an adorable shade of red and he clears his throat, "As for a party, I don't think that it's the right call." 

"How do you mean?" 

"Deaky isn't exactly the partying type, is he?"

Roger rolls his eyes, "I beg to differ. You've seen him when he's had a few vodkas." 

"Yes and I've also seen him without. We should go to dinner." 

"Dinner is boring!" 

"You're boring." Brian retorted and Roxanne rolls her eyes. 

"Yeah, real mature, Brian." 

"Alright children," Freddie raises his voice to stop the argument escalating and not a moment too soon because the door opens and Roxanne's first proper customers of the day walk in.