thirty four

Still on a high from the phonecall, the party at Roxy's flat was now a double celebration; Freddie's birthday and the potential of the band getting their big break.

There are a lot more people here this time; friends from uni, people they've all met from work...John's flatmates have even come and he reluctantly introduces Roxanne to them and, to his horror, George's way of saying hello was to throw up on her shoes.

Yeah, he hated them.

Her bedroom was supposed to be off-limits but of course, there's a few who try their luck and sneak in, only to be thrown out by John minutes later.

Surprisingly, Casper is the hit of the party; Roxanne doesn't know how many times she's gone out onto the fire escape to check on him, only to see that he's being loved on by a few drunken girls.

Mostly, Roxanne is cleaning up after everyone but that all stops when Freddie catches her, demanding that she stop and get herself a drink and so now, she's sat on the windowsill that leads to the fire escape, sipping on a beer and watching as a few of the guests looks to be setting up for karaoke.

At around nine, Alyssa finds her and tells her that she and another two girls -that she, Freddie and Mary know from Biba- are going to head out and get some more mixers and ice, which they'd quickly run out of.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Roxanne asks, frowning when she shakes her head.

"We'll manage," she waves a hand and Roxy reluctantly lets the three of them go, looking around the crowded space to try and find any of the band, smiling when she sees her boyfriend leaning up against the opposite wall, nodding his head to the beat of the music.

He looks so cute; lost in his own little funky disco world.

She couldn't really believe that the phone call Freddie had gotten earlier had been real. It was finally happening. If the meeting on Thursday went well, Queen would be signed to an actual record label.

She was just so excited for the four of them.

John's eyes meet hers and he subtly nods his head, gesturing for her to come closer and she bites her lip to suppress a grin, hopping down from the windowsill so she can go to him.

Roxanne loves tipsy Deaky - he's a lot more open with his affection; wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder as opposed to the run of the mill hand-holding.

"Hi," she greets, lips at his ear so he can hear her over the music and she laughs when he twirls her under his arm.

"Hi," he replies, "Think you really outdid yourself here, love."

She shakes her head, "Oh, hush. All I did, well Roger did, was stick up some cheesy decorations."

"Look at how much fun everyone's having though," he mumbles, kissing her cheek lightly.

She supposes he's right; all that can be heard is laughing and singing as they finally got the record player to play the songs they wanted - there was no mic and they were just singing into their beer bottles but they were having fun. That's the main thing.

Though Roxanne isn't quite sure where Freddie's gotten to and really, she's not sure that she wants to know.

++|++

As the party goes on into early the next morning, a few people take their leave but inside the flat is still crazy and so Roxanne decides to have a little bit of time with just Casper on the fire escape - John had been dragged off to do shots with the rest of the band.