thirty six

As October began, Kayla Anderson soon became a morning (and sometimes evening) regular at Hollywood Diner.

She was lovely; she always had a minute to help someone out, always up for a chat if you were feeling down and her laugh, well even on Roxy's worst days, that could cheer her up tenfold.

One of Kayla's favourite things to do, however, was to wind up and argue with Brian May.

It was always in the morning when nobody is actually awake enough to be able to put up with it that she does it; reads the same article as him in the paper and unable to help herself, she has to make her opinion known and that always rubs the guitarist up the wrong way.

"Can you not do something about her?" Brian pleads, reluctantly handing the paper up to Kayla, Roxanne watching on in amusement as Kayla waves goodbye as she disappears out the door.

"Like what?" John asks as Freddie comes into the diner and Roxanne grins, quickly coming around the counter so she can throw her arms around him.

"I've missed you!" she cheers as he twirls her around. l

"Oh, I've missed you too, darling!" he grins, kissing her cheek and Roxanne looks at Brian once her feet are back on the floor.

"And yeah, what do you want me to do? Ban her?"

His eyes light up, "Can you do that?"

She shakes her head, "Sorry, bub. Not my area."

He deflates as Doug comes out of the kitchen to go out for a smoke, "Would he do it?"

She shrugs, "You'd need to ask him."

"Maybe when he comes back in."

"I don't get it," John shakes his head, "She's lovely."

"Lovely?" Brian splutters, "She argues with everything I say, talks about the stupidest things, which you can't get her to shut up about...oh, and she eats my food. Just comes in and helps herself."

"Sounds to me that someone is carrying a torch for our new friend," Freddie grins, sliding onto one of the stools while John and Roxanne nod in agreement.

"I barely know the woman!" he cries and when she raises an eyebrow at him, he scoffs, "Piss off."

"Oh, Brian, relax." John rolls his eyes, "We're just messing with you. Onto a more pressing matter, where is Roger?"

"I was going to ask that," Roxy frowns, "I haven't seen him since Friday."

"Bri?" Freddie asks, "You see him this morning?"

"He was gone before I was up," he nods at their surprised expressions, "My thoughts exactly."

"Does he have classes this early?" Freddie asks, "Surely we would know."

"Does anyone have classes this early?"

"Well," Roxanne mumbles, "I'm giving him five more minutes before I eat his pancakes myself. Does anyone want more coffee?"

Roger arrives just one minute before his time runs out and she reluctantly slides his breakfast across to him as Brian looks at him expectantly, "What?"

"Where have you been?" John asks, "Rox was getting ready to send out a search party for you."

She nods in agreement.

"Oh," the blonde climbs up onto his usual stool, "I had to go see one of my lecturers. Why he couldn't wait till tomorrow when I have his class I don't know. Would have been here ten minutes ago but I ran into Kayla. She can talk, can't she?"