one hundred and twelve

first of all, look who do be back! -i really hope the photo works cause it didn't earlier and i will look like an idiot - and look who made him and his friend a wee house while she was on holiday from work

first of all, look who do be back! -i really hope the photo works cause it didn't earlier and i will look like an idiot - and look who made him and his friend a wee house while she was on holiday from work. i started putting it out on Saturday of last week and so far, we've had visits every night from one or two. at the moment i don't think they're sleeping in there cause they're gone in the morning but the bowls are empty and i am perfectly happy with it being a wee feeding station until the winter comes!

second, this is a short chapter. we are really close to the end of this story - there's maybe two or three chapters left

++|++

The morning of July 13th, the Deacon household is alive with activity.

John practically runs downstairs when he realises the time, stepping over Isla and Michael who, for some reason, are choosing to play at the bottom of them.

Roxanne's in the kitchen, giving him a bright smile as he enters the room, "Hey."

"Hey," he murmurs, kissing her cheek, "Are you almost ready to go?"

"I'm gonna follow you in the other car. Is that alright?" she asks, "Arthur and Theo want to go to a friend's house and watch."

"They don't want to watch at the stadium?" John frowns.

Moving around the counter, Roxanne wraps her arms around his middle, "They want to watch at their friend's house so they can gloat and say that's their daddy up there."

Unable to hide his smile, John leans down to kiss her just as the two boys in question walk into the room.

"Oh, that's disgusting!" Arthur groans while Theo slaps his hands over his eyes.

Roxanne tuts and goes back to packing up the drinks and snacks that she'd be taking for Michael and Isla. Robert was, in their opinions, still a tad too young and so Roxy's mum had said that she'd come down and stay with them for a few days.

"Are the two of you ready to go?" Roxanne asks, "We'll be leaving not long after your dad."

They disappear again and John grabs his keys, "I gotta go now, Rox."

"Why so early?" Cathy asks as she comes in carrying Robert, "You're not on till six."

"Twenty to seven," he shrugs, "But we all want to get their early, get a feel for the stage...Fred might even want us to run through things again. Rox, you got your passes?"

"I've got them, dad!" Michael cheers, wearing all three of them around his neck.

"Good," he ruffles his hair as he passes, leaning down to give Isla a quick hug and kiss on the cheek, "Right, I'm off."

"Boys!" he winces when Roxanne yells up the stairs, "That's your dad leaving!"

The pair come rushing down the stairs and though he shakes his head, John doesn't scold them.

"Good luck, dad!" Arthur grins.

"Not that you need it," Theo adds, "You always rock any gig you do."

They too give him hugs and Roxanne follows him out into the driveway.

"We'll be there soon," she promises and he nods, kissing her once more before climbing into the car.

++|++

They were going to do fine. Roxanne knows that but as she pulls into a space in the stadium carpark, she can't help but feel nervous for them.

There are already people being let into the grounds and while Roxanne gets the blue bag that she's packed, Michael makes sure that Isla's pass is secured around her neck, handing one to his mum once she's locked the car.

They hurry their way to the entrance John told them to go in, being nodded in by two large men on the doors and Roxy instructs them to stay close as they make their way through the throngs of people, trying to spot anyone that they know.

Just when she's about to give up and ask one of the people who were wearing the crew t-shirts, she hears her name being called and turns around.

"Uncle Brian!" the kids yell, grinning up at him when he reaches them and he wastes no time in hoisting Isla up into his arms.

"Hello, you two! Looking for your dad?" he keeps hold of the little girl as he leads Roxanne and Michael through the crowds to the little area where the band are all sitting.

"Finally," Roger says when he spots them, "Took your time, didn't you Rox? Fred didn't want to do the toast without you."

"Is it so bad that I wanted to wait until everyone was here?" the man asks, kissing her on the cheek in greeting, "Hello, Nessie."

Tearing her watchful gaze from her two bids, she grins at him and wraps her arms around him, "Hi."

She hadn't seen him since he'd told her about his illness but she had to say, he looked good. She doesn't know how long he'd known about it before he told them but he did look happier...like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders.

"Roxanne, darling, you remember Jim?" Freddie asks, bringing the man into view and she nods.

"Of course. It's lovely to see you again."

John's sat on a wicker loveseat, deep in conversation with Brian and Alice but like always, he turns his attention to her as she sits beside him.

"Nervous Brian?" she asks, scooting over slightly when Isla comes to sit on John's knee.

"A little," he admits, "But it's to be expected, isn't it? The whole world is going to be watching."

Roxanne looks at John, seeing that his face has paled dramatically - as if he'd somehow forgotten that the whole thing was going to be televised live.

"Oh god, I think I need a drink."

Roxy puts a reassuring hand on his knee as Isla starts asking them questions about what songs that they're going to play during their performance, "You're going to be fine, John."