forty five

"Love? You love him?"

Roger Taylor may have been on board with John and his cousin being together but never in a million years did he think that they'd say the three words to one another so soon.

Speaking of Roxanne, she's sat across from him and Rebecca. He'd invited her out for lunch with him and his girlfriend so they could get to know each other better.

Roxanne flushes red at his scrutinising gaze, "Yeah, I-"

"You've been together for five months," Roger hisses, looking to his left when Rebecca places her and on his arm.

Rolling her eyes, Roxanne stirs her milkshake, "I can't help the way I...Roger, I can't explain it, the way I feel around him...the way he makes me feel safe...I love him."

"I think it's cute," Rebecca speaks up, giving her a reassuring smile when she looks at her, "And really, can you ever really tell when you're going to fall in love? It doesn't really have a schedule, does it? Leave her alone, Roger." Roxanne gives her cousin a smug smile as his girlfriend gets up from her chair, "I have to get back to work."

Roger stands too and Roxanne takes a sip of her milkshake, watching the dopey, smitten look that's on his face, raising an eyebrow when he sits down again.

"What?"

"Nothing," she shrugs, "It just looks like I might not be the only one who's in love."

"What?" Roger splutters, "That's, I-don't be so ridiculous, Nessie."

"I'm just saying," she mumbles before she too gets up from the table.

"Where are you going?"

"I've got to get to the diner," she pulls her bag over her shoulder as Roger groans.

"Why didn't you say? I could have walked Rebecca back if I'd known you were leaving."

"She literally left a minute ago," Roxanne puts her scarf on, "You'll probably catch-"

He practically runs out the door but not before throwing some money down on the table that would cover his and Rebecca's food.

"Her," she finishes and she finds her purse, digging out her own money before she hands it over to the server behind the counter, making sure to leave a little bit extra, "See you later then, Rog."

The band had a gig tonight and Roxanne was more than thrilled that she was only doing a four-hour shift today - which meant that she'd have enough time to go back to hers and wash the smells of grease and who knows what else off of her.

She just hoped that it would go by quickly.

++|++

At one-thirty, she was already losing the will to live. An hour and a half into her shift and he had served three people. Three.

And if it was that quiet, she got the glamorous job of scraping chewing gum off of the bottom of the tables.

"You know," Roxy called, fighting with one rock hard piece which was still a very vibrant blue in colour, "You could help."

She was of course, talking to Doug who had actually left the kitchen. He didn't go very far, just dragged his stool to behind the counter to under the speaker.

"Then who would watch the grill?" he doesn't look up from the newspaper he's reading.

"There's nothing on it!"

"Still gotta watch it, kid," he doesn't say anything else but she does hear the volume of the radio go up.

Roxanne doesn't really know what station he's listening to and to be honest, she doesn't really care; the songs are decent and the hosts of the show are funny so she lets him have his way.