six

stranger things has got me feeling all kinds of feelings

++|++

"So, have you and Roger always got on as well as you do?"

It's almost eight o'clock now and John is still sat on Roger and Brian's floor but now, he's got an empty bottle of beer and a small dish with three cupcakes on it beside him.

Roxanne comes through from the kitchen with her own bottle and a new one for him, sitting down on the floor beside him.

"Thank you," he murmurs as she hands him his.

"No problem," she shrugs, "And no. When we were wee, we didn't like each other all that much."

"Really?"

She nods, "Yeah. We were always getting into stupid arguments over anything and everything. Roger really knew how to piss me off." she takes a sip of her beer, "More often than not, things would turn into full-blown fights."

John raises an eyebrow, "Fights? Like punches?"

"Oh yeah. He wouldn't go easy on me just because I was younger than him. I got my arse kicked so many times but I did win a couple...pretty sure I hit him over the head with a book once. The dictionary if I remember correctly."

"You're kidding."

"Or was it a thesaurus?" she asks, mostly to herself but then she shrugs, "I don't know, it was one of them."

"Remind me never to go near you when we're playing Scrabble."

"Probably wise," she giggles.

"So when did it all change?"

Roxanne shrugs again, "'m not really sure if I'm honest but now, I wouldn't change him for the world. He's always got my back, always. No matter how stupid an idea I have, he's there to support it all the way. He's defended me, protected me...and I know it might sound lame or sad to say it but he's my best friend. I love him, y'know?" 

John listens intently as she goes on to talk about some of the antics that the two Taylors would get up to; the first time the got drunk together, the time Roger showed her how to drive...just the little things that may seem mundane to some but meant so much to her. 

They talk for hours and this is the most conversation that she's gotten out of him and before they know it, it's going on ten. 

"Oh," John quickly stands up, startling her slightly and she frowns as he starts putting on his shoes, "'m sorry. Didn't realise that it was so late. I'll get going, give you some peace." 

"Are you sure?" she asks, also standing because, in all honesty, she quite likes his company 

 He nods and packs up the tools he's got scattered around, setting the box he kept them in down by the forgotten amp, "Yeah, you must be sick of listening to me talk." 

She thinks that she could listen to him talk all night. Though she doesn't say that (of course she doesn't, she's not an idiot). She just nods and starts picking up their rubbish. 

John makes sure that he's got his keys and wallet before heading towards the door as Roxanne calls out goodbye and that she'll see him at the gig tomorrow night but as he places his hand on the door handle, he stops. 

It's not really that late. He doesn't quite want to leave and he realises that they haven't really had anything to eat since the sandwiches they'd had in the park.

Would it be so daft to ask her if she wanted to go get some food?

Roxanne looks up from where she's clearing up her baking mess from earlier, giving him a smile as he steps back into the small kitchen, "Did you-"