Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy...

By Staceeeeers

Roxanne Taylor (Born 16th October 1951) is Roger Taylor's cousin. The two of them have always been close desp... More

cast list + prologue
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight**
'39
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty four.five**
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty
sixty one
sixty two
sixty three**
sixty four
sixty five
sixty six
sixty eight
sixty nine
seventy
seventy.five
seventy one
seventy two
seventy three
seventy four
seventy five
seventy six
seventy seven
seventy eight
seventy nine
eighty
eighty one
eighty two
eighty three
eighty four
eighty five
eighty six
eighty seven
eighty eight**
eighty nine
ninety
ninety one
ninety two
ninety three
ninety four
ninety five
ninety six
ninety seven
ninety eight
ninety nine
one hundred
one hundred and one
one hundred and two
one hundred and three
one hundred and four
one hundred and five
one hundred and six
one hundred and seven
one hundred and eight
one hundred and nine
one hundred and ten
one hundred and eleven
one hundred and twelve
one hundred and thirteen
one hundred and fourteen
one hundred and fifteen
one hundred and sixteen (or epilogue)

sixty seven

2.7K 89 161
By Staceeeeers

In the two days that she's been here, Roxanne has witnessed three arguments, Freddie walking out in a strop and Roger locking himself in a cupboard for two hours which had tied in with one of the arguments. 

She quite liked being there though, the place was incredibly picturesque and when the sun was shining, she and Rebecca would go outside and sit on the loungers while the boys attempted to play some tennis.

Nine times out of ten, John would be up and in the studio with the others before she'd even so much as stirred but on Saturday, she's pleasantly surprised to see that when she wakes up, he's still fast asleep beside her.

Carefully, so she doesn't wake him, she climbs over him, out of the small bed so she can head upstairs and make everyone some breakfast - Paul had gone shopping the previous day and so there were finally enough provisions to make something decent for them to eat. 

Roxy wanders into the kitchen to see Brian sat at the table with his guitar and in front of him is a sheet of paper. 

"Hey," she says softly, not wanting to startle him. 

"Morning," he replies, putting his guitar down gently before he gets up, "Tea?" 

"I'll get it," she waves a hand, "Sit down, Brian. Don't let me disturb you." 

He smiles, watching as she crosses the room to the kettle and he picks up the guitar again and goes back to his song. 

"You're up early," she notes, turning to lean against the counter.

"I couldn't sleep," he admits, absentmindedly plucking one of the strings, "So I came down here." 

He continues to scribble down lyrics and notes as she prepares her tea quietly but he looks up when, without him asking her to even make him one, she puts one down in front of him, "You didn't have to-" 

"I know," she shrugs, "But I was making one anyway. What are you working on?" 

"It's a song," he says softly, scratching his nose, "I've had the idea for a while but never done anything with it." 

"Can I?" she nods to the paper. 

"Of course," he slides it over to her and she wordlessly skims over it.

"I've only got the first verse and a chorus...it's getting there." 

"I like it," she hums, "What's it called?" 

"Haven't thought of that yet," he smiles. 

Roxanne reads the lyrics again, "What about thirty-nine? It's in the first line and it looks to be a main focus of the song..." she trails off as Brian stares at the paper, "It's just a suggestion, like." 

"No, that's a good suggestion," he murmurs, scribbling '39 up at the top of the page with a question mark beside it. 

"Are you going to put it up for the album?" 

He shrugs, "I'm not sure. I don't really think that it'd be Fred's cup of tea." 

"Well," Roxanne takes a sip from her mug, "Why don't you sing it? I mean, Roger's song is going on and I don't really see Freddie singing about being in love with a car." 

"Please don't get me started on that," Brian shakes his head, "Idiot." 

"I'm just saying," Roxy grins as they hear the rest of the house start to stir, "Maybe it's worth thinking about." 

++|++

"So when are you going to tell your mum and dad?" Rebecca asks as she and Roxanne take a walk into the nearby village. 

They'd made their swift exit from the farm when it sounded as if there was another argument on the horizon. The pair didn't want to be there for that.

In reply to the brunette's question, Roxy shrugs, "I don't know really. Maybe after we've had the first scan? Or is that too soon?" 

She really had no idea but she'd found a number for a doctor back in London who had scheduled an ultrasound for Monday afternoon and so she and John would be driving back tomorrow so he could come with her. 

"I'm not sure," Rebecca admits, "I'm clueless about stuff like that but you could always ask them at the scan." 

"That's true," she nods, coming to a stop when she hears their names being called. 

John and Roger are behind them, trying to catch up to them and when they do, Rog throws his arm around Becca's shoulders, "Didn't you hear me calling you?" 

"Sorry," she murmurs, standing on her toes to kiss him, "But we're discussing important things here, Rog." 

"Oh yeah? What's that then?" 

"When these two are going to tell your aunt and uncle." 

Roger sucks in a breath, "That's going to be rough. Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Good luck, Deaky." 

John glares at him as Roxy slips her hand into his, "Not making me feel any better, Roger." 

"Sorry," he shrugs, readying a cigarette but before he can light it, Rebecca plucks it from his lips. 

"Ah! No smoking around the baby!" she says making both John and Roxanne smile. 

"What?"

"I'd really prefer if you didn't do it at all..." Rebecca's voice gets quieter as she and Rog fall behind.

"So," Roxy begins, innocently swinging their joined hands back and forth between them, "What do we owe the pleasure of your company?" 

"Brian," he sighs, "He's got this song, thirty-nine or something-"

"So he went with that for the name, did he?" she asks, much to his confusion, "Tell him I'm expecting a slice of the royalties for helping him name it." 

"You...never mind. Well, he's finished it." 

"Already? Impressive," Roxanne nods, "Sorry, I keep interrupting you." 

He smiles, "He wants to do vocals on this one and I'm all for that. I mean if Rog gets to sing about a car then Brian should get to sing about space." 

It was about space? Huh, she must have missed that. 

"And wants to record it tomorrow," John finishes. 

"And what's wrong with that?" 

"Nothing," he replies quickly, "What's wrong, is that he doubts me." 

"Doubts you?" 

"But I'll show him, love," he continues, completely ignoring the fact that his poor girlfriend has no idea what he's talking about, "Don't you worry about that. Do you fancy some lunch? 'm quite peckish." 

"Lunch?" Roger asks as he and Becca rejoin them, "I could go for some lunch. Oh, we should go to The Woodside, right Deaky? Honestly, the pair of you need to try their food." 

John nods and looks at Roxanne, "You do, love. They do a cracking steak pie." 

"That sounds great," she smiles, wrapping her arms around his. 

She'd just have to find out later.

++|++

John and Roger were right, The Woodside hotel does do the most incredible food. They stay down there for a good few hours, a sort of double date kinda thing before they slowly make their way back to the farm, a journey that took them a lot longer than it normally would because both Roxy and Rebecca wanted to stop and try and pet some horses.

When they finally do get back to the house, they find it empty but they can hear from the studio barn, the piano that Freddie absolutely adores. He and Brian must still be working on something. 

She managed to find out snippets of what John was going on about earlier from Roger but still, that information was anything but useful considering that all he told her was that Brian said something about John not being able to learn the double bass in time for recording his song. Something which John took very personally. 

At some point, Roxy had gone to bed but when she wakes at one to see that John isn't beside her, she gets up and goes looking for him. What could he possibly be doing at this hour? 

He's not in the house and when she looks out of the window, she sees that there's a light on in the barn. He must be in there. 

It may still be warm during the day but at night, the temperature seems to drop - especially when you're out in the country and so she grabs a random jumper off of the coat rack and steps into the cool air. 

She can hear him playing something as she steps inside but it doesn't sound like his normal bass, it's got a lower tone and peering around the corner, she sees that she's correct in that it's not his bass. It must be the double. 

Roxy leans against the studio wall, watching his expert strings and she stands there until he notices her, giving him a soft smile when his eyes meet hers, "Are you coming to bed?" 

He glances at the clock. It's only one, "I'll be there in a bit. Just wanna keep at this for a little longer." 

"Okay," she whispers, "But John? I don't think Brian meant it. That you couldn't learn it. 

"Oh, he meant it, sweetheart," he mutters bitterly, "But we'll see who has the last laugh, won't we? Oh, John, you should learn the double bass for this one, eh?" he mocks Brian, "Stupid guitar playing poodle. I'll show him." 

Rolling her eyes fondly, she crosses the space that's between them and gives him a soft kiss, "Don't be too long."

"I won't," he hums and even though she's nowhere near close to showing, he rests his hand on her stomach, which makes her grin, "Promise." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.3K 1.3K 110
A young girl has just moved to London she has nobody no friends no job only a small house and a local pub which she visits every night but things cha...
3.6K 100 16
This is a story for the love of my life, Roger Meddows Taylor. You should know who he is. If not, he's Queen's drummer. I've always had this feeling...
43.1K 209 5
A bunch of imagines about the one and only, Roger Meddows Taylor. You can picture Ben!Roger if you prefer; it's all up to you! Enjoy, Queenies! We ne...
4.3K 133 11
Y/n lives in a house while she studies in London. Unfortunately her economy isn't good most of the time... that means she either has to sell the hous...