Misunderstood

By karmelitz

Here is a girl who just wants to be understood. Bullied because of her introversial character, not born of a... More

Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
A bit of closure please?
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Epilogue

Chapter VIII

19 3 0
By karmelitz

"Tara...is this you!What's gotten into you?Do you want your father to die so soon?"my father shouted at me.

Silence.

He looked past me to Westley. His eyebrows arched in surprise.

"You decided to come back. Both of you have a lot of explaining to do,especially,"looking at Westley's face. Then again he critically looked at my face and he noticed the scar on my left eyelid and the healing black eye. He took my face into his and examined it further and his eyes softened.

"Tara! Why didn't you tell me about this? What really happened while I was away? Westley I thought you would take care of her!"he shouted again to Westley."Or did you actually do this?"a note of accusation crept into his already booming voice.

Silence again. I looked behind at Westley and our eyes exchanged. The thing is if I tell my father the truth I'll just continue getting hurt and soon die,and the last thing I want for my father is for him to live in regret if that happens. Maybe I'll just cook up a story, add the seasonings and keep it stored until it rots,which will take some time.

"Can someone talk to me? Or you've been made dumb?!"he looked at us in despair.

"Uncle,I ran off and that's wrong. I'm very sorry,"he started.

"We can go and talk in the living room,"my dad offered,"I'll be with you in a moment,go ahead."

Westley led the way to the living room."Tara you have to tell him the truth,"he whispered to me.

"Are you nuts Westley? He'll go back to the school, complain and this will be the final result,"I whispered back,pointing at the scratches on my face and blisters on my hands.

"But you cannot lie to him forever.He needs to know the truth Tara! He's your father and I'm sure he will understand if you tell him not to tell the school. You could even ask for a transfer,you've always wanted to. This will be the best opportunity,"he wisely stated. I thought about it for a moment and I shrugged showing him that I have no choice.

"He's coming,let's sit down,"I whispered as I moved to my usual couch. Westley joined me. We sat in brief silence until he emerged.

"I realised that your wounds are healing well for a person who got hurt four days ago...did you go to hospital?"he asked in astonishment

I looked at Westley begging him to help me.

"Anyway, I'll start with you Westley. Tara,will you mind if you give us some space? You too need a private talk then I'll talk to both of you as soon as I'm done with talking to both of you individually."

"Sure dad...I'll be in my room."I stood up to head upstairs.

Westley POV
"Son,I've always treated you like one of mine. I love you and I care for you so much. You have a lot of explaining to do. You may begin when you're ready."

I wasn't ready to explain myself now, after doing some damn horrific things. But here we go...let's see how far this goes.

"Well..."

"After the day you two fought,"he offered.

"I felt so guilty and my friend offered me a place to stay until I try patch things up."

"Who's this friend Westley,if I may ask?"

"It's a girl who was also Tara's friend,Kenzie,"I replied.

"Go on,"he reclined,never loosening his serious look.

"We fell in love with each other earlier and we wanted to express our love," I chuckled uneasily,"so that's why we moved in,if you could call it that. It was a good break from the stony silences every evening between Tara and I . The thing is...we took it too far. We ..."

"What?"

"We...we had sex. Without protection,"I whispered out beads of sweat forming on my face.

"What! Is she pregnant?"he asked,his face become pale.

"I've not heard from her for the past two weeks. You see I felt so ashamed that ,again I ran off to someone who I least expected would be my ally. He was one of the bullied but he helped me take care of Tara,"I explained.

"So you don't know the whereabouts of Kenzie?"

"Apparently new owners moved in her house and I lost my contacts,I threw my phone away,"my face was downcast at this point.

"What! I least expected that from you Westley ,you're one of the most responsible nephews I know,why did you act in anger?"

"Look Tara was making it so hard for us to make up-"

"Sorry to interrupt but what was the essence of the fight?"

More guilt crept into me. Surely he's going to hate me for what I did to his daughter. I swallowed the stone forming in my throat and explained every single detail of Candice tearing Tara's essay and us betraying her. By the time I was done explaining tears fell from my face and I knelt.

"I didn't want to cause trouble,but I let my guard too low. I've let you down uncle. I'm so sorry. As soon as you're done with me I'll take responsibility over my actions and take care of Kenzie and the baby."I cried out in my kneeling position ready for him to beat me or something.

My uncle came next to me and raised me. He took me into an embrace that was so deep that my heart felt lighter.

"I still love you as my son Westley even after all the mistakes you've made. Just promise me you will work them out,"he said after pulling me out of the embrace,"you go and focus on school,you might be a father soon."

I was surprised. His reaction was least of my expected reactions. In my head I pictured a fire breathing uncle who cannot be quenched by water. Oh my...how I feel so relieved.

"Uncle,you're serious?"

"Do you see me joking?"

I looked into his eyes and the were soft,his seriousness fading away. All I saw was...love.

I again hugged him,feeling so relieved.

"What about your...girlfriend? We may need to talk to her parents about the whole thing,and how we can offer our support,"he asked.

I was too shocked to immediately reply. I thought it would be my mess to fix,but he proved willing to help.

"Well,she has no family,her parents died in the Texas fire together with all her siblings. I was hoping that she could move here until she delivers and I get a job to support the two of us. Then we can move out,"I replied calmly. You see,I planned it out while I was helping Tara to recover,and I thought it will be hard to tell my uncle the suggestion. I held my breath.

"You know Westley,I'm surprised that you've taken initiative to accept the consequences,and not running away from them. I'm very impressed and it shows that you've matured. I'm fine with your suggestion,but what about school?"

"For Kenzie? I'll help her with her assignments,"I quickly replied.

"And Tara? You need to convince her to share her space with Kenzie until further notice."

"I really don't know,"I admitted.

"I'll help you with Tara,I'll convince her,but first you need to find out where Kenzie is,and bring her here. She needs the utmost care,pregnant or not,you never know what she's gone through,"he firmly suggested, holding my shoulders tightly.

Back to Tara's POV
I was super nervous. The talk between my father and Westley went longer than expected and he hasn't told me why he suddenly vanished. I have so many questions that need answers...like why he betrayed me and all that. He really owes me an explanation.

Westley came to my room looking so relieved,which was interesting.

"What did he tell you?"I proved him.

"I can't tell you until Uncle talks to both of us. He's calling you downstairs. And a tip Tara...be honest with him."

"Well...ok I'll try,"I said as I left my room,Westley behind me.

I slowly went down the stairs like a convict to the hanging ceremony. I just hope dad will just hear me out and understand me and maybe consider transferring me.

"Hey Tara! Come here! I've missed you so much!"he called out as he opened has arms out wide to hug me. Quite an unexpected move,I thought.

After he released me,

"I realised that it was my own fault that you got into this mess,and you hid this from me by staying at your bully's house to recover. He must be a very good doctor,coz your wounds healed well."he paused and looked up at me,a guilty look showing up at his face.

"I'm so sorry for not hearing you out Tara and causing you so much pain. But today I want to hear from you. Do you want a transfer from this school because you've suffered enough. From your essay being torn,the teasing from your schoolmate,and now to this. I just don't want to see you hurt ever again Tara. I promised myself after your mother left us that I will take care of you much better than she did and I'm probably breaking it. I'm so sorry again Tara."he added as tears streamed down his face.

I was shocked beyond description,that my father apologised,yet I hid from him that I've been staying with Jason (and how on earth did he discover? Oh yeah... Westley)

"Dad,I should be apologising to you. I hit you thinking you're a thief and I stayed with boys in a house,especially that you haven't met Jason. "I quietly replied.

"Nah...that's perfectly fine. It just shows how willing you are to protect those who you love and also the weak who don't have a voice. I forgive you Tara. Do you forgive me?"

"Yes I do dad!"I smiled at him,wiping my tears,my heart bursting in happiness.

"Thank you dear. One more thing I need to discuss with you is about whether you want to transfer. What do you think if you move with Westley back to his home state to a new school?"he suggested.

"Does he know?"I almost shouted my eyes almost popping out.

"Shhh Tara!Not yet,but only if you accept. You could suggest another place but I though that it's better if you're closer to family."

My heart pounded in happiness. This is a dream,I repeatedly blinked my eyes to confirm that this is real. Oh yes it is.

"On one condition dad. That I finish the semester here. I still have unfinished work. I may be down,but not out."I seriously replied,"And also I'll have to do the final CATS before I get my certificate."

"Well...I'm just scared something worse will happen. But you'll need your leaving certificate anyway so I have no choice."

I ran to my dad,so excited and gave him a hug. "You're the best dad. I love you dad!"

"I love you more dear!"

"This calls for a feast,don't you think?I'll call Westley to do his magic in the kitchen then we dine together!"I said.

"You two need to talk first,he has a lot to tell you,before we can all sit on one table. You need to patch things up Tara. You cannot stay mad at him forever. When he told me about what caused the fight, I not only realised that he and his friend messed up,but they really love you. They wanted to protect you and they thought what they did was the best way,which wasn't the best according to me."hem said as we walked towards the stairs. "I'll do dinner,it's fine Tara. Now go up to him,he's expecting you."

I slightly pouted,but I really miss my cousin and best friend. So I went upstairs my heart again pounding. Hope this comes out good and positive.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79 0 23
Hope spent the last four years abroad, finishing High School and achieving more than she ever really cared to achieve. Now that she's home, she has t...
218 0 23
She was a shy naive girl when everyone first met her or so they thought. After that first day of school they start to notice that she's different the...
29 2 12
this is not a regular love story, this is the back story of it- the struggles, the insecurities, the emotional heartbreaks, the cheaters, the overthi...
346 30 21
*I highly recommend you read my short story, Imprisoned, before reading this one* A nameless girl finds herself in an unknown location with no choice...