A Cursor Story

Galing kay Themewriter21

*****One of the Winners of Icey Penguin Awards under Science Fiction category ****** In the era of quantum co... Higit pa

Chapter 0: Decursorification 
Chapter 1: Race of cursors
Chapter 2: Boss's Presentation
Chapter 3: Cursor Assembly Meeting
Chapter 4: Along the Shore
Chapter 5: Trip to Malaysia
Chapter 6: On the Beach
Chapter 7: The GRIID Interrupted
Chapter 9: Aurora Anomaly
Chapter 10: Journey to Place of No Direction
Chapter 11: Susan's Lab
Chapter 12: Attack on Vault of the Reserve Bank
Chapter 13: Where's the Code
Chapter 14: Mega-event
Chapter 15: An old friend
Chapter 16: Arguments For
Chapter 17: Is Cursor the Enemy?
Chapter 18: Cursor in Court
Chapter 19: When brothers Meet
Chapter 20: Cursor Party
Chapter 21: Captivity
Chapter 22: Anti-Cursor's Puzzle
Chapter 23: Maljen's Attack
Chapter 24: Crowd-sourcing
Chapter 25: Face to Face with Anti-Cursor
Chapter 26: GRIID under Attack
Chapter 27: The Descent
Chapter 28: Tom and Parry
Chapter 29: Flapping of Butterfly Wings can create a thunderstorm
Chapter 30: The Defeat
Chapter 31: Final War
Chapter 32: The Last Chance
Chapter 33: Tackling Eruptions
Chapter 34: Cursor Races again

Chapter 8: An evening with a difference

21 3 2
Galing kay Themewriter21

Megan was driving the car while Ryan was sitting on the right side of the front seat.

'So what happened in the meeting with the GRIID today morning?' This was the first question from Megan. Ryan though wanted to tell each and every word he had with Mark and share each and every feeling, yet he was quiet.

'Well Megan, it was ok, the troubleshooting was over in a few hours.'

'Then why such a gung-ho for a simple outage. We rushed immediately leaving the vacation. We could have reached here after relaxing a bit.' Megan was hell-bent on asking him what was the dire need that he had been asked to come back from vacation mid-way.'

'Ok Megan, just leave it, I don't want to distract you. I am feeling hungry,' Ryan once again played his distractionary tactics.

'If you are that hungry then I shall get you something, let's have a stopover at the next traffic signal.'

'Ok Megan, let me do one thing. I shall order it from here only and by the time we reach the place food will be ready.'

'Baby you are becoming smarter day by day.'

'I am.'

'Only because you are with me.'

'Yes, let me do the ordering for you,' Ryan said while thinking about his excuse of hunger, because the next Megan was going to ask was going to be about the Cursor.

'Ryan, can you get some Malaya food.'

'Let me check, dear.'

Ryan opened his iPad browsed localfoodie.com, the browser started searching for Malay food. It had been given permission to listen to their talks.

'Can you order something for me too,' wrote Chris the Cursor on his notification panel. This guy always comes at the wrong moment. This damn Chris the Cursor does not know he could put me in a big soup.

'Why now, go back, We are searching for some Malay food,' wrote Ryan with his fast fingers.

'I can search it for you,' Chris replied.

'Ok do it,' Ryan just wanted that Chris the Cursor could be kept quiet for some time so typed in the iPad.

Within a few seconds a successful order placed notification popped up on the iPad. The restaurant's location was at a distance of 1.2 km.

Megan and Ryan went into the OpenCafe restaurant on Big Bulward crossing offering Malay food. It showed good reviews and was usually busy in the normal working hours according to GRIID data analytics. Within no time the food gets served on the table in 3 minutes and 9 seconds. There were 10-12 bowls and 6-7 dishes of various kinds spread along the width and breadth of the table.

'It's yummy. Great location and great food. Thanks,' Megan said mischievously picking up a spoon. Ryan thought he did the best thing by taking Megan to this place.

'Welcome. You did not try this bowl,' Ryan said pointing to the bowl at the right end of the table.

'Let me try this one also,' Megan took a spoonful off the bowl offered by Ryan.

Ryan looked into the sweet charming face of Megan. Ryan was thinking that Megan was enjoying the taste but Megan's face turned reddish.

'Ssh... shh... it's so hot what was it? I don't like such bitter things you know.'

Ryan as if waking up from sleep, hurriedly tried to locate the can of water struck off one of the bowls from the table.

Splash.

Megan's tastebuds were still burning, she tried to fan her face with her hands. Where the hell was water.

Ryan's eyes scanned the table like an eagle looking for its prey and located the can of water. He picked up the can and gave it to Megan. Megan drank a full can of water and asked for more. Ryan ran to bring another bottle.

'Ryan, why did you give that thing to me. If you don't like me then tell it openly. You are playing such tricks with me?'

'No baby. There was no trick here.'

'Then what it is, a prank, you must have been planning this for long?'

'Why I would play a prank on you. I just ordered what you wanted.'

'This is certainly not what I wanted.'

'There is a mistake either by the cafe or while placing the order.'

'Deliberate mistake and that too while placing the order. That's what I was saying.'

'It could not have been deliberate. You don't know how much I love you baby,' Ryan tried to gather all his genuineness on his face.

'Realy. How much?'

Ryan brought Megan closer and placed his lips over hers, 'I love u.' Ryan understood the whole game of Chris the Cursor. I know the exact reason behind all this and I shall teach that Cursor a lesson.

'Baby, there is no reason to teach anybody a lesson. Go and say thank you it is only because of him you have accepted that you love me. And what's the problem with you men. You cannot concentrate on one thing you are doing. Thanks, Chris. I know. You are the one who ordered spicy curry.'

'We are working on so many things at the same time. But baby now it's time so let's go,' This was Megan, a weather scientist, her mind changed like the weather.

'What's the problem with you men? You cannot concentrate on one thing you are doing?'

Ryan was rushing out of the restaurant. His right foot struck the table and the bowl fell on the floor. Its contents spilled over and ... big splash. The green curry flew into the mouth of the big black muscular man sitting on the next table. His face became covered with the green curry. He turned back to see who did it. Ryan was still standing there almost frozen. Ryan slouched and his face gave an expression as if he was unaware of everything. Megan expressed sorry and asked him to go. Ryan also made a hand gesture to say sorry to the black man.

The black man lifted his sausages and threw it towards Ryan. Ryan ducked it. The sausages traveled on the parabolic trajectory before reaching the mouth of the brown labrador who was waiting for it with an open mouth. Megan said she cannot take it. Megan jumped ahead to the counter where prepared food was kept, took a cake and threw it toward the black man.

The black man by then had moved sideways to wash his face but the cake landed on the face of another fat lady who was waiting for her order to be served. She said she never expected her order to be served with this speed. She shouted at Megan to stop it but now she has been drawn into the game. The lady picked up another bowl and threw it toward Ryan. Ryan was caught unaware and his coat was fully drenched in soup.

Ryan was not going out before replying to this nonsense. He took another cake from the counter and threw it towards that fat lady. The dog jumped and caught it mid air. Everyone clapped except people on the table where the labrador landed. There was an Indian couple sitting at the table. The girl was fighting with the boy asking him why he forgot the most important day of their lives. The labrador left the cake on the table and fast climbed down. Oh baby I know you will never forget the anniversary. The boy thanked the dog and Ryan.

The big man had now thrown a plate towards Ryan but Chritina deflected it using her saucer.

Within a few minutes the whole place was turned into a battleground of cutlery and food items as ammunition.

Police siren......

Everyone stopped as and where they were including labrador.

******

Ryan was driving the car while Megan was sitting next to him. Megan started playing with the car's TV monitor to check if there is anything new. 'These days all the soaps are rubbish. Same old stories are running again and again,' these were confessions of a self-proclaimed expert of soap operas called Megan, 'a lot of them are remakes of old classics.'

'Nothing like Classics Megan, huh. They have no content, every story has the same old villain, a protagonist who acts a fool in the beginning and smarter later.'

'Hehe, but our story is different.'

While Megan and Ryan conversed, there was a news flash about certain anomalies in the patterns of Aurora only in the near the poles on the car monitor.

Megan listened to the news broadcast not believing what the newsreader said.

'Ryan did you listen to what the news was about?'

==============================

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

78.4K 6.3K 54
Against many people's fears and warnings, A.I. started off as an innocent project spawned by the curiosities of scientists and tech entrepreneurs ali...
34.4K 832 16
8,000. That's the number of humans that made it off planet earth before it turned into a ball of radiation. Idabelle Watson being one of those human...
4.3K 64 12
I thought being kidnapped by heartless scientists was the worst thing that could happen to me. I was wrong. Being rescued by a massive teal alien a...
158K 7.1K 96
Ellie is a soldier in a world without governments. A generation ago, a series of financial crises caused most of the world’s governments to collapse...