Mission Accepted: Percabeth A...

بواسطة Fangirlwriter256

In a world of spies and princes, the Selection gathers the country together to watch the daughters of Iléa co... المزيد

Agent Chase
New Mission
Adventure Awaits
Unknown Place
The Map
The Opening Ball ~ Part 1
The Opening Ball ~ Part 2
The Silhouetted Man
Elimination
The Hunt
Troublesome Prince
The Wall
Disarmed
Blue Cookies
Liar Liar
Mind Games
Mark My Words
The Elite
Obey
I Am Worthy
Float Before You Drown
Disobey
Northern Rebel Headquarters: Part 1
Northern Rebel Headquarters: Part 2
The Lion's Den
The Village
Kick into Gear
Watch Your Step
Agent in Shining Armour
Mask
Uncertainty
Zorix
Ast
Last Dance
Not Alone
Sky Full of Possibilities
Choices & Risks
Maleficent Battle
Trial
Epilogue: The Girl Who Could

Sunny Picnic

6.6K 164 311
بواسطة Fangirlwriter256

The morning light shines through my eyelids and I groan. Breathing in for two seconds, I shove the covers off of me, keeping my tired eyes closed. 

I made sure to set everything up that I needed for my first day on the case last night, leading to me staying up later than I intended to. 

Opening my eyes, Katie, Clove, and Andy are preparing for the day. Clove organizes my cluttered papers and notes, adding the additional information on the mission Thalia sent to me last night, in which I still need to read. Katie and Andy prepare my day dress and vanity.

Andy looks over to me, "Ready to get the day started, Miss?" I quirk an eyebrow and she clears her throat, red forming on her delicate cheeks, "I mean, Annabeth?"

"Much better, thank you, Andy. And do I have a choice?"

They all laugh and that's enough for me to haul myself out of bed. I turn around and begin making it, but Clove runs over, "No, no, you need to begin getting ready!"

I wave my hand at her, "Don't be silly, it takes me five minutes!"

Clove looks over at Katie and she chuckles, "It's true. The sooner you learn to just aid where she needs it – aka the mission and escaping girl drama – the better it'll be."

Clove smiles slightly and laughs, "Alright, make your bed and don't form any wrinkles!"

When I finish making my bed, I then head over to the vanity and Clove begins to set my hair. The day ahead feels foreign to me, almost. This new life, only temporary of course, feels like a warped dream in a children's book. I fidget, some anxiety rising in me. 

I don't realize Clove was speaking to me until she taps my shoulder. She repeats, "What would you like to do with it today?" 

"With...?" 

"Your hair." 

"Right. Maybe just leave it as it is? But is there a way to make it stay this way and not frizzy by the end of the day?" I ask, twiddling a bobby pin in my fingers.

Clove brightens, "Yes." She grabs a weird looking bottle and sprays it over my hair. The soft smell is not overwhelming like the perfumes I usually experience. "Perfect," she says satisfied.

Standing, I slip off my nightgown and Katie and Andy pulls the day dress onto me. The white linings and soft yellow flower patterns trailing down from the waist creates a beautiful sunny morning look. The dress fits perfectly around my waist and I find joy in swishing the flowing bottom around my bare legs. The dress goes to just below my knees.

"You look amazing in that Annabeth," a voice comments and I yelp. Looking to the door, I see Piper burst into laughter. "I didn't mean to scare you. Your face looked as if someone took your cheese slice at a picnic." 

"And good morning to you too," I roll my eyes, smiling. "Is it time to go now?"

"Yeah, we'll be late if we don't leave now," she says, hurriedly now. "But I see you don't have makeup on yet."

"I'll put a little on tonight for the ball," I shrug, slipping on bright yellow flats.

Piper laughs outright, "Alright." 

Waving to Clove, Andy, and Katie, I allow Piper to lead me out the door. "Have you met the girls? I haven't really gotten a chance to talk to them yet." 

She nods. "I was waiting in the gardens with them this morning before I came up here to get you."

I remark, smirking, "You make it seem like it was a hassle to come get me."

"Slacker," she shoots back.

"Slacker, you didn't wanna climb three flights of stairs," I chuckle. "Besides, I was up late making sure everything is set."

"We need a code word or sentence for that, it's too obvious that you're hiding something," Piper says, nodding at the guards who open the doors for us.

We enter the garden and I say, "How about, 'the roses are looking quite red today'?"

"It'll work, just don't bring it up in front of people much okay?"

I put a hand on my chest, pretending to be offended, "I would never! I was raised to keep my lips sealed! I'm a spy Pipes."

"Don't use that nickname," She groans, as we near the gathering of girls. I snicker, and she punches my shoulder.

Shutting up now, we join the group of chattering girls. Some have piles of jewelry on, others have extravagant, rich dresses. Makes me wonder what they'll wear to the ball tonight, I tilt my head to the side. Piper whispers, pointing to people across the gardens with weird devices I've never seen before, "Heads up, they're filming this remember. Not every day, but enough to give the public an episode each Friday with the report." 

My mind flashes to our box Tv's and remembers as a little girl, watching re-runs of when Queen Sally was in the Selection. I loved watching the girls spend time in the Women's Room or go on hunts with the men. I used to imagine myself as the future princess. When the Selection narrowed down to the Elite, I adored seeing specials as the girls got ready in the morning or guessing who the prince was really in love with. I also loved watching when they showed us the classes the girls had to attend, to educate more in the life of ruling a kingdom. Or when they made the girls complete tasks to see who's fit and who needs working; tasks like planning real foreign events to build alliances – which I'm sure we'll do – or attend court cases, or parades, etc. 

But now that I am here... 

I snap back into the conversation in front of me. "Ugh, have you seen the painting of Prince Percy in the hallway near the Great Room?" a girl, I recognize as Emerson gushes. 

Before coming here I've had to memorize each girl. Emerson has auburn hair and dark emerald eyes, her many freckles standing out.

"Isn't he just gorgeous?" another girl, Paris, comments. "His jawline?"

"A true lady does not talk about another's future husband like that," a girl sniffed, frowning down at them. 

Ah, Drew, it doesn't take a genius to tell she is one of three girls who are in the top of the caste system. They are the King's favorites, and in everyone's eyes, the true candidates who have a chance of winning the crown. No one lower than a four has become royalty. But that's the odd thing about it, is they aren't actually interested in the person, but rather the object upon their head and the power it holds.

Paris shrinks underneath Drew's glare. Drew, satisfied, turns away, her attention having higher priorities. A new collective amount of chatter and energy rises into the air. Turning, I see the royal family come outside, using the beautiful French doors to the cleanly cut grassy area, flowers around its perimeter. They use the path toward us, and I observe them. Queen Sally's gaze softens on the girls, greeting them warmly. When her eyes find mine, she brightens and nods. I know we'll be talking later. My attention then goes to King Poseidon who towers over everyone. His hard stare judges every girl in its way and when it finds me, he hesitates. Moving on, he nods approvingly – annoying me – at Drew, Hasina, Neleh and a couple of other girls who come from higher places. The divide is clear, between the overly excited girls and the demure, well-bred ladies. My attention then turns to the crown prince himself, who's jaw clenches at the sight of us. Observing his face, I see him swallow his nerves and put on a warm smile. Paris was right about his jawline, it carves a distinct line on his face. But that isn't what captures me to stand there like an idiot. It is only when he turns, his messy black hair swishing, and his piercing sea-green eyes make contact with my stormy grey ones. We stare at one another for a good five seconds before I break eye contact. I'm not here for that. I'm here for one reason only, and nothing is going to distract me.

We all settle down on the blankets the palace staff has set out for us. As soon as food begins to be served, Prince Percy makes his way around the groups, talking for a couple of minutes with each group. I distract myself by eating cheese, happily listening to Piper and another girl, Evie talk about preparing together for the ball tonight. 

"Annabeth you're okay with that?" Evie asks politely.

"Sorry, what was that?" I ask, mid-pause in eating a strawberry.

"Would you like to arrive at the ball in similar time?" Piper asks, laying her dress flat on her legs.

Perking up, I say, "Oh yes, I do not want a boring evening please."

"Boring evening? How could one be bored on such a grand occasion?" Prince Percy inquires, sitting himself across from me, next to a blushing Evie.

"She meant no disrespect, Your Highness," Piper says quickly.

"No, it's quite alright. I would just like to know what makes this evening sound boring." He points his question at me, raising an eyebrow in a challenge. Fine, I'll play. 

"Well, let's see. The endless small talk is rather dry from where I am from, so I cannot imagine it in a ball with stuffy people." Piper gasps at my choice of words, for calling the crown prince 'stuffy'. I go on, "I would much rather spend my time reading, Your Highness." 

A quick movement near a window of the palace, behind Piper, catches my eyes. I only glance at it for a second, feeling the Prince's eyes on me.

Prince Percy stares at me for a minute, his mouth turned upward in an amused expression. "I see, is it books that interest you more or food?" I shove another cheese chunk into my mouth. He chuckles, "Well, it was a pleasure to meet you three." 

His gaze hovers on mine for a mere two seconds longer than the others. Butterflies flicker in my stomach, but I shove it away, swallowing my cheese. 

He makes to a stand, but before he goes, Prince Percy comments, "I am quite looking forward to seeing you tonight, Miss Chase. I'll try to make it not too boring for you." And with that he walks away, leaving Evie and Piper gaping.

Evie turns to me, "I cannot believe you called the prince stuffy!"

Crossing my arms stubbornly, I say, "I did not! I called the people at balls stuffy!"

"Prince Percy being one of those people Annie!" Piper whispers frantically.

"Oh hush, it's okay," I wave their worries aside.

After a few minutes, the two girls excuse themselves and join the group of debutantes, as they leave the gardens, preparing for the ball that night. As some walk past, they complain about not having enough time -- meanwhile, we have eight hours to prepare. 

I stand underneath a tree, the shade offering me perfect cover. My eyes trace the palace walls, scanning for any sign of disturbance from earlier. 

"Enjoying the view?" a voice pops out of nowhere.

I gasp, turning around too fast. My feet get caught in a blanket and I fall on the ground...no, sorry not the ground. I fall into a platter of berries. Red berries. 

Looking up I see Prince Percy running to come to help me up, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to startle you!"

Laughing, I say, "It's quite alright."

"Why're you laughing?" he asks, his smile broadening.

I am then suddenly aware of his hand still holding mine. Slowly, I take it back and say, "I just fell in front of a platter of berries in front of the crown prince." I laugh again, looking down at  my red-stained dress. Soon we're both laughing.

 "I hope that makes up for the stuffy evening tonight. But might I ask you something, Miss Chase?"

"Only if you'll stop calling me 'Miss Chase'," I say. 

His eyebrows raise, "Alright, then if only you'll start calling me Percy and not 'your Highness 'or 'Prince Percy.'"

"But I can't do that."

"And why not?"

I stammer, "Because I'm making you call me Annabeth if you want an answer, but you're demanding another thing from it!"

"Which means I'll owe you," Prince Percy says, pacing around me.

"Would you stop pacing, I can't think," I say. "Fine, you owe me. Now what's the question, your Highness?"

"Percy," He states.

"Right. Percy." 

The feeling of just his bare name on my lips is oddly comforting, with not adding the formalities. Makes him seem like a real person and not some higher being than I, even though that is what he is.

"Have you ever been to a royal ball?" he inquires.

I shake my head, "No, but I've been to enough community gatherings in my city."

"But you've never been to a ball."

"Weren't you listening?"

He smirks. "Just trying to clarify because how can you assume it'll be boring if you've never been to one?"

I open my mouth then close it. He's got a point, but I'm too stubborn to let him win. "I don't know, but if it's like this morning – a bunch of girls gossiping and flanking after you, I want no part in it."

He sighs, a soft smile gracing his face. His sea-green eyes search my eyes, "I think you'll rather enjoy yourself. Besides, it's only once a week. Also, there is a buffet table."

"I guess I'll have to decide that one for myself," I state, walking backwards. "See you there Percy."

"If you fall into more berries, it won't be my fault this time!" he calls after me as I turn around and make my way to the palace. I allow a smile to form on my face. 

But my mind keeps going back to that disturbance in the window. 

Have an amazing day/night wherever you are! - The Fangirl

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

21.4K 500 50
Hermione and her friends go back to Hogwarts for their final year of Hogwarts but things don't turn out how they expect. . J.K Rowling owns everythin...
2.2M 114K 64
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
1M 54K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
518K 13.8K 61
Here they are again. At the start of a new schoolyear. Hermione Granger is all ready to go. After having spend the summer at home, stuck in her house...