The Hunters Saga #2: The Wolf...

Av RJ_City

"DEATH IS QUICKLY CLOSING IN..." "You don't know what control is." I blinked. "Okay, so... I'm stuck with... Mer

Copyright & Dedication
Chapter 1: Keeping Up Disappearances
Chapter 2: The Wolfsbane Rubies
Chapter 3: Lip Locking With Lycanthropes
Chapter 4: Rebound Girl
Chapter 5: Rogues Just Wanna Have Fun
Chapter 6: Sibling Secrets
Chapter 7: The Ties That Bind Us
Chapter 8: Heirloom
Chapter 9: Family is Blood
Chapter 10: Moving Target
Chapter 11: Bloody Birthday Candles
Chapter 12: Little Hunter Blues
Chapter 13: Annabelle
Chapter 14: Code Red
Chapter 15: Fatal Attraction
Chapter 16: Be Still My Unbeating Heart
Chapter 17: Risk-Taker
Chapter 18: Charmed, I'm Sure
Chapter 19: Re-Marked Love
Chapter 21: Abomination
Chapter 22: Weakness
Chapter 23: Hide & Seek
Chapter 24: I'm Dying & I Know it
Chapter 25: Fresh Blood
Epilogue: Proditor
TEASER - Book Three: The Hawthorn Pearl

Chapter 20: Stakes Not Included

5.1K 263 72
Av RJ_City

A/N: I'M ALIVE! XD Bet you thought I wasn't coming back, that I would NEVER finish book 2 (or this trilogy for that matter... ) Well, have I got news for you :) Chapter 20's finally here, guys! As promised! :D Thanks so much for being patient, hope you love this chapter as much as I loved writing it ;) Thanks for reading and enjoy! <3

Chapter 20: Stakes Not Included

   I was apparently exhausted when we arrived at The Dakota because as soon as my back hit Henri's silky covers, I was out like a light.

   For a long time, it seemed that I was stuck in the nightmares of the past and of the future. My uncle killed me in some, while others involved Gavin or even Henri. Then I would be thrown back to my wishful past, when my parents were alive. This scared me even more, it seemed, because the images made my heart squeeze painfully in my chest.

   For some reason, a certain childhood memory arose from the horrors of my dreaming state. See, when I was in Kindergarten – yes, I actually went to school... before my parents died, of course – I made plenty of friends, most of which I've broken off with due to vampire hunting. I was much more friendly and social back then, more than I was currently. It must've been some weird personality change that ultimately resulted from my high-end hunter life and occupation.

   Anyway, out of all of my friends – both close and barely acquainted with – one stood out from the rest. It wasn't because he was more outgoing, it wasn't because we'd known each other the longest, and it certainly wasn't because we were closer than close.

   It was because Joshua Wood was a bad boy; a troublemaker who made messes, lied and cheated constantly. He didn't act interested in school, he barely showed up half the time. On a social standard, every girl steered clear of him.

   Every girl except for me.

   I remembered being enamored by his alluring yet aloof personality (guess I really liked the dangerous type), and usually found it hard to focus on anything when Joshua Wood entered a room.

   My parents were the first to notice my strange behavior.

   "Toni, sweetheart, what's this boy good at?" my Mom asked me one day after school. Her question barely stumped my Kindergarten-educated mind. I thought about it, then said. "He's good at being bad, Mommy. He doesn't like to follow the rules." She stared at me as if I'd gone insane. Which I guess was close enough. I still had no idea where my strange, sudden attraction to the stereotypical kid had originated.

   My Father eventually stepped in to intervene. "Honey, being bad isn't good. It's dangerous."

   Oh, how right he was!

   Thankfully, I eventually got over my fascination for Joshua Wood. I guess you could consider him to be my first ever crush. My parent's deaths, of course, wiped out any thought of friendships – much less romantic relationships – to focus on. At the mere age of 7, my life had changed dramatically, and not in a good way, either. Yes, I gained strength over time thought the traumatic event. I've gained a lot and lost a lot, but that's required with the life I've been living. What did I have today? A life of pure Hell. Emotional, physical – hell, even mental – baggage claimed me, but that's life, I guess.

   The image of my parents dissolved into nothingness as I woke up slowly, my mind the first thing awake, then my body caught up. I was in Henri's bed yet again. Sighing in slight annoyance – when really I didn't mind whatsoever – I stretched out my stiff limbs. Why was I always so Goddamned tired?

   "Toni?"

   I glanced over my shoulder, finally noticing the occupied space beside me beneath the silken sheets. I barely held back a giggle at the sight of Henri's outrageous bedhead. How the Hell had that happened when the vamp hadn't been sleeping?

   He quirked a confused eyebrow at me, his eyes scanning my face shrewdly. "What's so funny?"

   I shook my head quickly. "Oh, nothing. Uh... good morning, fang-face."

   "Good morning, little hunter," Henri greeted with a fanged grin. "It's not dawn quite yet." He was close enough to lean my back against, so I took the opportunity. "How close?"

   "A little over three hours."

   I turned to face him on the comfy mattress, a sigh lightly passing my dry lips. "I should probably get home." I had to make sure Ethan was safe. Checking my phone again, there was nothing from him. That sure didn't mean that he was simply asleep.

   Then again, at around 3 in the morning...

   "This has been great, Henri," I admitted with a cheeky smile. "Crashing here for a while, you and me cuddling like some cheesy love couple... It's nice, really. But I should probably get home now."

   Henri looked about ready to protest, but he changed his mind at the last possible moment. "Do you want me to drive you home?"

   "This close to dawn? I don't think so," I replied hotly and sat up, giving the vamp a playful smile. "Besides, it's almost your bedtime, Mr. Vampire. Shouldn't you be a vamp-zombie soon?"

   Cold hands wrapped around my abdomen, securing me to the spot. I shivered, but it wasn't from the sudden chill that fell over my body.

   "Don't forget that I'm stronger and older than most vampires," Henri stated, smirking with just a hint of fang showing. It made me scoff harshly. "Don't be so arrogant, Mr. Sinclair. Arrogance leads to dominance, and dominance is an ugly trait in my eyes."

   Henri kissed my forehead, boggling my mind with his sudden sweetness. He leaned down to whisper close to my ear. "Did you just call me arrogant?"

   "You heard correctly."

   His grin became wicked. "Oh, Ms. Drake, the rules apply to you, too."

   "I'm not arrogant," I gaped at him.

   "No, but you like to be dominant." I couldn't believe what he'd just said! Oh, the context threw me for a loop, that's for sure. "Huh? I do not!" I snorted loudly. "I have no idea what you-"

   "Tell that to the bed covers." His laughable words forced me to look at the bed we were both in. All of the covers were bunched around my body, and Henri had none on his side.

   "Whoops."

   "Cover hog."

   "Hey, it's not like you need them. You don't need to regulate your body temperature." I rolled my eyes. "You don't get cold, Henri."

   Henri laughed and pulled me closer, until his body was pressed up against mine. "You're right, I don't. Not when you're here."

   I felt a blush creeping up my face, and did my absolute best to try and hide it, turning my face from him.

   "So, can I drive you home?"

   "Sure, why not?"

   It took me around 5 minutes to get ready, and then we were off in the Mustang. I ended the journey knowing for sure that I'd see him against at sunset.

   "Until sunset," I reminded with a wave of my hand before Henri disappeared in a blur. I thought I heard Henri echo my salutation, but I couldn't be entirely sure. It still made me unusually happy, which must've been the effects of the Mark. I didn't care, either way. I felt good. I'd see Henri again when the sun went down.

***

   The next morning, I woke up to the aggravated voice of Ryan Church, who I still considered my true boss.

   At least he was bossy.

   "Antoinette, this is an emergency," Ryan's voice echoed through my cell, feigning urgency and fear. "I need you to come to the Agency right now to be debriefed."

   Wow, was he subtle.

   Ha, not!

   I frowned, rubbing my eyes of sleep as I sat up a little straighter. "What's wrong? Is it Henri Sinclair?" I really should've kept the 'is it Henri Sinclair?' bit to myself. I didn't want to show too much emotion, especially not in his presence. If Ryan Church had been more cunning than he pretended to constantly be, he'd have heard my voice and my tone, which wasn't to be expected of a simple vampire hunter.

   Especially towards a vampire.

   Ryan must've glossed over my outburst as something unimportant, for he continued flatly. "It's my son. We've found him."

   That did not sound good, not at all. If anything, it clearly meant that New York was in trouble. Big trouble. And I was once again the one standing between human and monster.

   Woo-hoo...

   "Stephen is a vampire now, according to the witnesses, and his newborn nature is out of control. He's destroying dozens of-"

   "Okay, I got it, Mr. Church," I cut him off sharply. "I think I get the picture. Now... do you know where he is, exactly?"

   "That's why I – we – need you here, with the other hunters." Ryan paused before replying. "We need him to stop him – destroy him – before he kills more."

   "What about Henri Sinclair?" I dared to ask. There was only one vamp I knew would have the location of the newborn wreaking havoc on Manhattan, and that was Henri.

   "The Agency can only be focused on one murderous supernatural maniac at a time, Ms. Drake. Now, stop stalling and get your sorry ass down here!" I knew better than to protest. He disconnected before I could even mutter a polite "goodbye". Static met my ears, and I ended the call, taking a deep, measured breath.

   This should be fun...

***

   Naturally, the hunters had all afternoon to search for clues and ready themselves before night fell upon the city and the creatures of the night awoke from their power naps. We saddled up – figuratively, of course – with our weapons. Almost every hunter headed out with a stake, for dire emergencies.

   If you can totally believe it, newborns are a big deal, and an assured threat to civilization. Depending on their sire, a newborn can grow to either become a killing machine – and most do – or a vamp that likes to keep it cool, emotions in check at all times. The only ones that felt the need to 'keep it cool' were the older ones; the larger threats, although newborns were considered more vicious, wild, most regularly uncontrollable and dangerous. They made the best soldiers, after all.

   Ethan, Clary, and I headed the force, since we were the highest ranked of the hunters in our sector. That simply meant that we'd killed and/or hunted more vamps than the others.

   Big accomplishment.

   We all had our duties, but I had my secret weapon of information: Henri. He'd know where Stephen was... hopefully. If not, I had no plan B...

   Awesome.

   "There's been word of a supposed victim trail left by our target," Clary mentioned as we walked the crowded streets. Half of the hunters had taken to the streets, while the others remained underground. If we stayed alert, we might've been more likely to discover more.

   "A victim trail?" I murmured in thought. "Exactly how many people were killed? This all sounds so... "

   "Classic?" Ethan offered from my side. "Maybe that's what he wanted. It's what he was going for."

   "Probably what his master is going for," I corrected with a frown as my eyes wandered over the crowded streets and sidewalks. We were in the damn center of New York City, the heart of it all: Times Square. The crowd control was absolute madness in these extreme conditions, but then, what did I really expect? This was New York, for shit's sake.

   "I thought you staked his master," Clary pointed out, much to my sudden horror.

   Oh, shit...

   "Uh... " I racked my brain for a logical excuse – Hell, even an illogical one would've been better than nothing – but came up with none. Clary's expression hardened as she stared me in the eye, her grass-green orbs suspicious to say the least. "Toni?"

   Ethan shook his head at me. "Might as well just tell us." Surprisingly, my friend didn't seem at all shocked by my confession; he appeared actually calm and composed, which was more than I could say for Clary. She crossed her arms, a frown etching her face. "What's going on?"

   "Could you not rat me out if I tell you?" I asked hastily, my shoulders bunching with built-up tension. When Clary nodded her head somewhat reluctantly, I caved. "Stephen's sire is still around. Actually... his sire is the master vampire."

   I'd expected an outbreak of denial, and maybe even some anger. Clary willed me to explain further with her intense expression. Ethan continued to frown at me. "Of Manhattan?"

   I nodded, and his jaw seemed to twitch ever so slightly. "Really?" When I nodded yet again, his eyes seemed to darken, maybe with suspicion. He had a right, there was no doubt about that. The Order barely ever messed with the affairs of the master vampire of any clan in America. It was unlawful – not to mention incredibly stupid – to hunt a master vampire down. They were supposed to be respected citizens, but, in my opinion, they were worse than their children and fellow vampire.

   "How did you know he was the master vampire?"

   I almost – key word being almost – blurted out the fact that he was my long-lost uncle, a person I couldn't seem to remember for the life of me. The other hunters were most likely in the same boat. I swallowed the truth down, and replied instead. "It was on his vampire business card, duh!" My friends continued to give me dubious glances, but I refused to squeal. Who knew what would happen then?

   Certainly not me!

   "Okay, look, it doesn't even matter-"

   "Actually, it does if we want to find Stephen before he slaughters half of Manhattan's human population," Ethan pressed in interruption, successfully preventing me from walking away with a firm hand latched onto my shoulder.

   "How do we even know it's Stephen?" I countered, feeling panic begin to settle within me. I was practically begging for a subject change.

   Ethan nearly snorted in response to my question, as if it were silly and unnecessary. "You didn't hear? It's all over the news!" When I sent him a look that blatantly said 'do I look like I watch the news?', he sighed in exasperation. "He signed his own name in a victim's blood at the scene of the crime." Ethan pinned me with his gaze. "That proof enough for you?"

   Oh, shit... Robert had turned Stephen into a psychopath with fangs. I managed to sigh before my teeth clenched in irritation. "Let's find him then, when the sun sets."

   Clary chuckled suddenly. "Actually, Toni, Ethan and I were planning to go to dinner before our scheduled patrol." She set her emerald eyes on me, and my hopes dimmed a bit. Ethan stared at her longingly, almost as if he'd never seen her before. Seriously...

   Those two... Could they be any more obvious with their feelings for each other?? God, I had no idea they...

   Oh, forget it!

   I had far too much on my plate to figure out as it was. Frowning, I shook my head. "You two have fun, then."

   "Toni... " Ethan called out to me, eyes full of genuine concern. I was still worried about him. My uncle's killing streak had been unusually silent – unlike his creation, of course – and purposefully undetected. That didn't mean he'd given up...

   I managed a small, albeit sad smile at my two friends. "I'll start early."

   "Toni, you shouldn't really be going anywhere on your own. Henri Sinclair might-" Clary began, but Ethan stopped her advance towards me. He took her shoulders gently. "I'm sure she'll be fine, Clary." His icy blue irises rested on me, and I nodded, my mouth suddenly dry. He was covering for me.

   I'd owe him one day.

   Glancing down at my watch, I learned the time: 5:50 PM. Close to sunset. Really close. I had to talk to Henri about Stephen and a possible idea as to where the newborn could've been hiding out.

***

   About an hour after sunset, I found myself in my cherry-red Mustang, hood down, with Henri behind the leather-clad wheel, of course. We were heading to Gavin's mansion, just outside of downtown Manhattan, closer to the East River than anything else. Henri had a hunch that Stephen was hiding it out with Gavin on Robert's orders. Not that he could be wrong... Stephen could be virtually anywhere, especially after the sun set and he could escape his vampiric bonds that daylight caused. Unsurprisingly, Henri was already aware of what the newborn had done since he'd been turned, and, according to him, the only vampire capable of stopping the hazardous newborn menace was my uncle.

   Big surprise.

   "Gavin!" I yelled at the closed double doors. "Open up! The Order's here to evict you!"

   The door immediately swung open, and Gavin stood there, a smug smile on his thin, colorless lips. I took his smile as a truly unlucky sign.

   Had the vamp known that we were coming?

   It was an appropriate guess...

   "Oh, I'm so scared, Antoinette! You and what army?" He glanced sideways at Henri, looking strangely amused and bored at the same time. "Is my brother all you've got?"

   "Shut up," I snapped rather boldly while getting up in Gavin's threatening face. "Where's Stephen Church?"

   "Out having a snack," the red-eyed vamp admitted with a devious smirk. "Is that really why you're here?" His smirk grew into a full-on smile. "Interesting."

   Why else would I be there? His words caught me off guard and caused me to contemplate for a few moments. Typically, the moment ended, and I growled. "Out for a snack?"

   "Translation: he's not here at the moment. Try again later."

   "Bullshit."

   "Scout's honor," Gavin drawled before unceremoniously placing a chilling hand on my chest and pushing me backward. I felt anger swiftly enter my veins and course through my body as soon as his hand made contact. Touching me was a big mistake, especially with Henri standing so close. Through the renewed Mark, I could feel the vamp's growing anger, not mine. His anger fueled me, and my emotions of the previous days didn't help me whatsoever.

   I was sick of this. The vamps in New York had become unmanageable, and I was tired of constantly failing the Order as well as my fellow hunters. Gavin thought I was innocuously cute, with my brave little words.

   He honestly should've been more careful.

   I stumbled backward a bit before I felt Henri's steady hands press against my lower back to steady me. Gavin chuckled as he leaned against the oak doorframe in a casual stance, smirking all the while. He was seriously asking for it.

   "Henri," I whispered the vampire's name through clenched teeth. Gavin's dark eyebrows rose in reaction, and he stretched his arm out, successfully blocking the one and only entrance to the mansion. "Sorry, ma princesse, but I have orders to keep you out."

   "Orders from who?" Henri asked, even though he already had a feeling who. I met Gavin's scarlet eyes, and took a slow step forward again, mustering what confidence I had left from what I managed to find.

   "Where's Stephen exactly?" I questioned, my gaze no doubt demanding.

   "My orders were from our eminent master, Henri," Gavin spoke, ignoring my presence and my question. He sent a glare in his brother's direction, and I shivered at that cold gaze of his. It could effortlessly freeze the likes of Hell.

   "Our master," Gavin continued, his tone suddenly serious. "The one we protect and serve. Did you happen to forget all that?" He looked my way and sighed dramatically. "You were able to win her back, but at what cost? Robert Drake won't be happy to know that you two are connected yet again through the Mark."

   "Screw my uncle," I butted in, but again Gavin ignored me. It was like I wasn't even there...

   How rude!

   "Robert's our damn leader, Henri; he's the one you should worship completely. Not some... vulnerable, not to mention worthless, human."

   Darkness flashed across the vamp's gaze, and I instantly felt like backing down.

   "I don't worship Toni," Henri bit out, and without turning, I knew that his fangs had come down, a response to white hot anger that was hard to shake.

   "And I'm not worthless," I muttered sullenly under my breath.

   "No, but you love her," Gavin drawled, his lips pulling back to reveal razor-sharp incisors. When I stiffened but refused to back down, he continued on. "And love, Henri... Love is a dangerous thing. It screws with your emotions, and it makes you weak." His eyes left his twin for a moment and raked over me. "Or did you forget that, too?"

   I saw the vamp move toward me at half-speed, and felt my body tense with adrenaline. "Henri," I murmured, but the vamp behind me knew what I was about to tell him.

   Run...

   As Gavin leaned away from the doorframe, I saw the golden opportunity. The doorway was unprotected, and I took a step toward it just as Gavin surged forward at that unimaginable speed of his. My head whipped over my shoulder at Henri, who easily read my expression. Gavin growled low in his throat, a dangerous sound of warning. I tried my best to ignore the predatory look in those red eyes of his.

   I reached for the wooden frame and clung onto it when wood met my hands. Gavin came at me just as Henri grabbed his twin by the collar, roughly jerking the vamp backward. Gavin lost his balance suddenly and fell unto the well-cut lawn. Henri locked eyes with me a split second before he yelled. "Go! Now!" I began to protest, but Henri wouldn't allow it, his face hard. "Go, Toni. I'll be fine." Just then, Gavin regained strength, using his entire body to try and overthrow his brother. It was no use, of course.

   Henri was just stronger, it was that simple.

   While they grappled on the grass, I took the advantage and ran inside of the towering beauty, closing the front door behind me with a well-deserved slam.

   Jesus, that was too close...

   The mansion seemed empty at first glance, and something felt different about the place. It was almost as if the home was empty of any vampiric energy whatsoever, but how was that possible? Gavin lived here...

   I didn't relax just yet.

   There was no sign of life – undead life, that is – sure, but... if Stephen wasn't here, where could he possibly be? Gavin's place hadn't changed much since the last time I'd been there. I started to climb the marble staircase, and when I reached the second floor, I froze.

   There was blood everywhere. Human blood...

   The scent of rust made me nearly gag as it hit my senses with full force. I covered my mouth, trying so hard not to scream. The urge to run was suddenly overwhelming.

   Unwillingly, I took a small step into the bloodstained corridor. None of the doors were open but-

   A piercing scream filled my ears, and the noise caused me to shudder. That sounded like a human scream... Was Stephen here? The scream was cut off sharply, plunging the hallway into dead silence, and I vaguely wondered why... Was the human dead? It was female...

   I trudged down the hall one hesitant step at a time. I had to have a plan once I reached the newborn. I already knew that Stephen Church was far too dangerous, and was probably better off dead, so there was no way I could take him to the Agency and deliver him to the Order.

   He'd just kill more victims on the way. Innocent ones. There would be absolute chaos, and the hunters sure didn't need any more of that. I had to choose for the good of the hunters and the Order, but there was really only one choice in this case. Death of the newborn was inevitable; it was the only option I could come to terms with.

   Great.

   There were doors to my right and to my left. All of them were closed, and an ominous feeling hit me. The scream hadn't returned, and it was deadly quiet now. All I could seem to hear was my hitched breathing. My heart pounded harshly, and my body felt unnaturally tense. The fact that I could hear my erratic breathing meant that they could, too.

   Nice.

   "Antoinette?"

   My eyes widened at the sudden sound of my uncle's voice. It blew over me softly, and a trickle of vampiric power gently caressed me, familiarizing me...

   Wait, my uncle knew I was here?!

   Well, shit!

   "Antoinette," the voice called again, sounding close, and I tried to ignore the sliver of compulsion within the weight of the master vampire's voice. I couldn't follow his voice... shouldn't, really. He'd find me so much easier, after all. I had weapons on me, but could I face a master vampire? I didn't want to take any chances...

   The soothing voice – my uncle's – that called to me was pulling me almost unconsciously toward one of the two doors at the very end of the hallway, past the stairs that led to the next floor.

   Stephen and his victim(s) would be behind one of those doors...so would my uncle, apparently. Damn it, which was worse: a newborn who could – and would – easily rip me apart, or my uncle, who wanted to force me into vampirism?

   Oh the choices I had...

   I let out a shaky breath before carefully opening the door on the right. Time to face...

   The room only had one piece of furniture in it: a king-sized bed. A modified one, at that. Metal chains connected to shackles hung from the tall bedposts. There were no bed sheets or pillows, from what I could tell. There was, however, something lying on the bed. It was a girl – probably the one who'd been screaming – with fiery red hair and teenage features. She had a young, pale face. The red of her hair mingled with the red of the blood that coated the left side of her face. She lay on her back, being purposefully held down by a dark form. Still attached to her torn throat was Stephen Church.

   My blood ran cold at the sight of my fellow hunter, the blonde-haired, red-eyed newborn vampire. He looked up as soon as I took a hesitant step forward into the strange room. Stephen sat up, giving me a chilling smile as he wiped his bloodied mouth with the back of his hand. "I knew you'd be coming," he said in a low, sinister voice that caused a shiver to ripple throughout my body. Numbly, I reached for my stake, but Stephen had vanished before my eyes.

   What the Hell?!

   A body crashed into mine from behind, forcing me to lurch forward. The stake slipped from my grasp and rolled away. My hopes plummeted. I had other weapons, sure, but the stake was my plan A. I wasn't sure I'd even thought of a plan B yet.

   "You're so predictable, Drake," Stephen growled from behind me. I spun to face the newborn, keeping my eyes trained on anything but his reddish irises.

   Stephen chuckled in response. "Aren't you going to ask how my new life has been for the past week?

   I shook my head, only then realizing that Stephen had anticipated my move. He hadn't even seen the stake at all...

   I swallowed hard, and boldly met the vamp's eyes for a brief second. "How's vampirism, Stephen?"

   "I've never felt more alive," he mused, flashing his dangerously long fangs at me. Damn, Stephen had been intimidating before he died. Not much had changed, apparently. The newborn chuckled and his arm shot out without warning. Long pointed nails dug into my arm as Stephen dragged me to my feet. I was quaking with fear, I realized in quiet shock. It only goaded him on.

   "You know, Drake, your mind isn't as sharp as I thought it would be. Reading your thoughts has been such an easy feat; it's a little boring. Not much of a challenge, if you ask me."

   I went for a blow to the young vampire's head, but he anticipated my move yet again, a wide grin on his sharpened features. I ignored his mocking tone – or tried to – but the vamp's reflexes were undoubtedly faster than my own human ones were. What did I really expect from a newborn?

   Stephen released my arm suddenly, and I fell forward. I barely caught myself before I flew face-first into the carpet. I glanced over my shoulder at the smirking newborn.

   "I'm not just a newborn, Toni, am I?" he murmured with a sickening smirk. Jeez, his face had more emotion when he was dead than alive. Huh...

   I clenched my teeth as Stephen casually wiped more blood from his face. "I was turned by a master vampire, Drake. Know what that means?"

   Unfortunately, I did. I knew exactly what that meant... My heart seemed to race faster as my pulse soared in fear and anticipation. You have a special ability," I grounded out, my muscles clenched with held back tension. The newborn nodded firmly, kneeling down so that he was on level with me. I refused once again to grant eye contact, but it wouldn't last. I never felt right to threaten and curse at someone I wouldn't face full-on.

   "Yes," Stephen hissed in a deadly whisper, his eyes drowning pools of red and practically pulsating with hunger. "Can you guess what my power is?"

   I couldn't guess; I could barely even think! I shook my head, remaining on my knees, even when traveled across the room, a casual hop to his step.

   He was happy about something... unusually happy.

   It unnerved me to no end.

   Suddenly, there was a pulling sensation from within the far corners of my mind. I let out a pained gasp.

   God, it hurt so much!

   I finally met Stephen's red glare, and was instantly frozen to the spot.

   Damn compulsion.

   "Your thoughts are so vulnerable, Toni," Stephen replied gleefully. "So unprotected. Maybe that's why you're such an easy target for vampires." He was about to move toward me but something crossed his face, and he froze, his body stiff. My brow furrowed almost unconsciously. Why had he just stopped his advance? There had to be a reason... He was about to attack me, wasn't he?

   The newborn's lips pulled back in a snarl and he growled. "He's coming... " His eyes locked on mine, and his look of surprise instantly morphed into one of sick delight. "I was about to attack you, Toni, that's right," he chuckled at my stunned expression. "Yes, that's right. I read your mind, hunter."

   Stephen could read minds?!

   I swallowed down a nervous laugh. "What are you-?"

   The door behind me opened suddenly, and the vamp that appeared in the doorway threw me off guard.

   It was my uncle.

A/N: Sorry for the cliffhanger! XP Good news, though... chapter 21 will be posted within a few days ;) That's right; your wait will be short and sweet now that my classes are OVER! :D Chapter 21 will be posted on Monday, December 22nd! Stay tuned, remember to vote + comment, and thank you so much for reading! See ya! ^_^

Picture: Inspiration for the walls of Gavin's mansion, now coated in blood :O

Song: Murder by Within Temptation

*Follow me on Twitter @AuthorRJCity and like the Antoinette Drake, Vampire Hunter official Facebook page - all links found on my Wattpad profile!*

 ~ Fangs & Kisses ~

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

95.8K 5.9K 29
"THE AFTERLIFE CAN BE A REAL BITCH, RIGHT?" "Henri-" I began, but Henri's hand snatched up mine and squeezed tightly enough to break bones. I bit m...
124K 1.8K 9
I felt the bed dip as he sat down on the other side but I focused solely on my task until I was done. "This is a pillow barrier. Meaning, you don't b...
448K 8.4K 54
Raven Rodriguez has grown up a normal life with the future of the mafia looming over her back. A new guy moves to her school and seems to make it hi...
Hunter Av Tori

Äventyrsromaner

73.4K 2.1K 44
Book 1 of the Hunter Series A family with hunter blood running through their bodies. This family kills any mythical creature they come across, and th...