Chapter 11: Bloody Birthday Candles

A/N: Hey, everyone! :D I hope you enjoy this very long, eventful chapter :D Think of it as an indirect birthday present since TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY! ^_^ I want to thank everyone who left birthday wishes! Thank you so much for reading, and enjoy (Warning: may end in a cliffhanger. You have been warned)

Chapter 11: Bloody Birthday Candles

   When it was morning, I had an outrageously large headache thanks to the vampire who'd bitten me. The wound wouldn't heal quickly, which was why I put a scarf on to conceal it. Other than the bright red scarf I now wore, I was bundled up in my all-black hunter uniform. I still hadn't gotten used to the feel of the trench coat, but, whatever.

   I opened the front door, and cautiously peered out into the hallway, prepared for any surprises or attacks. There, at my booted feet, were two bouquets of the most beautiful flowers I'd ever seen. Not that I get a lot of flowers, but... you know what I mean.

   There was a bundle of pure red roses, while the other was all rosy pink carnations. The fresh scent of them calmed me down long enough to wonder who they were from, since they had to be from two different people.

   Since both bouquets were wrapped separately, I took them both into my apartment at once. Wrapped securely around the roses was a black ribbon, and tied to the ribbon was... Henri's family ring.

   Whoa.

   The blood diamond ring that was supposedly cursed with black magic. Why would Henri give me something so precious to him?

   So, if the roses were from him, what about the carnations?

   The card fitted into the wrap around the roses read: "Because I love you. Happy birthday, Toni."

   Oh, my God, Henri! He said he loved me!

   I momentarily forgot about the other bundle of flowers, but when I focused on them, I plucked the card attached to the blue ribbon that held the carnations together. It read: "Hope this brightens your day, birthday girl." The cursive at the bottom was unfamiliar, but I had a feeling I knew who it was from: Russell. I looked between both bouquets, and realized that I had a serious problem. Two vampires shared feelings for me. Who should I have feelings for?

   Well, beats me!

   My cell rang, and I looked at it instinctively, almost sighing in relief when I discovered that it was Ethan. He must've been at the Agency.

   "Toni, you need to come down to the Agency immediately," he said in greeting, his voice urgent.

   "What's wrong? Was there another attack?" Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if there was.

   "Just get here ASAP, okay? I'll explain when you get here." He hung up without as much as a further explanation.

   Hmm... Weird.

   Ethan usually gave me more information than that.

   Definitely weird.

   Once I was ready to go, I headed out to the Mustang. The drive from my home to Lincoln Center's subway terminal at 66th Street was a breeze, and I was there before I knew it. This was so much better than taking the subway to work every single day. Although, there was morning traffic...

   What a nightmare...

   The amount of cars and impatient taxi drivers on the road delayed me, but not by much.