Chapter 5: Rogues Just Wanna Have Fun

A/N: Chapter 5!! :D Let's see if your hunches about the rogue were correct :P Enjoy and thank you so much for reading! ;)

Chapter 5: Rogues Just Wanna Have Fun

   The sun set, and not a word from Henri. Not that I expected him to say anything. I was going to The Wolfsbane Rubies without my damn escort.

   Somehow, I knew something would go wrong.

   Lily was unusually quiet at my side as we made our way to the blocked entrance. Jack the werewolf bouncer growled when he saw us approach. "Well, well, well, if it isn't Henri's little-"

   "Nice to see you, too, mutt," I stopped him from giving anything away. I didn't want Lily suspicious about my connection to a supposedly hidden convict.

   "Look, you know the drill, human," Jack looked over at the line of excited – and impatient – humans waiting to get inside. "Your kind isn't allowed without-"

   "An escort," a voice said from the doorway leading into the club. I stole a glance at the owner of the voice. Blonde hair caught the light of the bright neon sign above us.

   Russell Knight.

   He looked the same – not like I'd expected anything to change – and I think he was both surprised and happy to see me. It was written all over his face. Russ moved until he was next to Jack before saying something too low for me to hear. The were grunted in protest, and he looked unhappy, but he moved aside regardless. "You got lucky, human."

   I moved past him and my eyes met the vampire's fearlessly. They were black, like always, but they were far from dark. They almost glowed with a passion.

   Or that's what I thought.

   Damn it, Toni, focus!

   I shivered.

   Russ fangs fell down when he looked at my short companion. "And who is this, Antoinette?"

   "Lilly Grey is a hunter in training."

   "We don't usually allow hunters into the club but... " he leaned closer and gave me a dazzling smile, "I'll make an exception with you and your friend."

   My body practically melted under his heated gaze. God, what was wrong with me?! I had to focus on the mission...

   "Just as long as you don't cause a problem for my customers."

   I nodded and Russ gladly led us past the entrance and into The Wolfsbane Rubies. I could feel eyes on me and glanced around cautiously. Russ was attracting looks too, but they weren't nearly as hostile as the ones I was currenlty receiving. I was earning glares and guarded gazes from the women as well as envious looks from the men. I saw plenty of unfamiliar faces present, and there were maybe a handful of vamps in the club that I could see.

   I glanced over at Lily, remembering that she was too young to be here. She reminded me of Liz.

   Which reminded me of my uncle...

   Goddammit!

   "Where should we look first?" Lily asked over the music.

   I shrugged. "Just keep your eyes peeled for any suspicious behavior or activity. It's all we can do." I realized, of course, that just looking for a criminal we didn't know by appearance was going to be extremely difficult.

   A needle in a haystack.

   Russ had mysteriously disappeared, and left us on the edge of the dance floor.