Chapter 23: Hide & Seek

A/N: So late... XP But at least it's done! Here's chapter 23 :D Hope you all enjoy it ;) Only 2 more chapters (3 if you include the bonus/epilogue... ) until the end of The Wolfsbane Rubies! It's sure to end in a bang... just like this chapter! Enjoy ^_^

Chapter 23: Hide & Seek

   I was going to do it.

   I was going to confront the Order about their secrets, and let off some secrets of my own, of course. It would be hard, telling them about Henri and all of the other things I'd kept out from under the Agency's radar. In turn, I hoped they would shed some light on my family; the members that had somehow escaped my memories so mysteriously.

   It was early afternoon when I entered the courtroom, full of hunters and Order members. The atmosphere was high tension and rightly intimidating. Ryan Church met my gaze intently, as if challenging me. What the Hell did I do?

   "You wanted to call the hunters together, Ms. Drake," he stated, lips thinning into a single narrow line. "Begin when you're ready."

   I took a deep breath and looked each member of the Order in the eye. "Thank you for accepting my request. I'm sure it wasn't easy to gather with all of the deaths in Manhattan claiming for your immediate attention." I briefly closed my eyes, feeling Henri through the Mark. He'd be dead to the world by now, but I still felt his presence somehow. It comforted me.

   I went on confidently. "Since Stephen's head was found, the body count has gotten added onto."

   "Who do you think is doing this?" Miranda Church spoke up, her voice ringing through the large room.

   I resisted the urge to scratch my forehead. "I don't know who is, but I can tell you who isn't. Henri Sinclair is not the killer."

   "But his DNA-" Lily's Father – Alexander Grey – cut in, but I shook my head in response. "Henri has an identical twin brother. Gavin Sinclair killed your daughter, Mr. Grey." When the Oder member sat back, fell into silence, his face ashen, I swallowed, letting the truth come out. "Gavin is also responsible for the death of Hannah Bellz."

   Silence fell over the room. No one dared to make a sound. Bated breath was held without pure consciousness. I gripped the wood of one of the chairs beside me for support. "Mr. Church, Henri Sinclair is innocent."

   The Order member's eyes widened to cartoonish proportions, and his jaw unhinged. As he gaped at me, the other hunters tried to make sense of my words.

   "Did Giselle Beauregard turn my son into a vampire?" Miranda hissed softly, blue eyes rimmed with fresh tears that threatened to fall. I bit my lip. I wanted to let the truth shine, but I couldn't reveal the master vampire. Did the Order really not know who my uncle had turned into, even after the last master vampire turned to ash?

   One way to find out, I guess.

   "Robert Drake, the master vampire here in Manhattan, turned your son, Mrs. Church."

   I heard gasps from all around. Ryan's body naturally stiffened. I couldn't have softened that blow even if I tried.

   "Isn't Robert Drake family to you?" a hunter called from somewhere behind me, but I refused to acknowledge them. I kept a steady gaze on the imposing figures of the Order that sat before me.

   "So it is true," Ryan murmured, almost to himself. "He's master vampire now."

   "Yes."

   More whispers and accusations could be heard behind me from the other hunters – hunters that had barely known the truth. Scratch that... they'd never known the truth, according to their so-obvious reactions.