Chapter 2: The Wolfsbane Rubies

A/N: Here it is, you guys! Thank you so much for reading :) I love all of your comments; they certainly motivate me to edit faster :D I honestly thought this chapter would be longer but :P Enjoy!

Chapter 2: The Wolfsbane Rubies

   If you thought The Blood Diamond Nightclub was ostentatious, you ain't seen nothing yet! The Wolfsbane Rubies just screamed "Monsters Only" from every single angle of it. The entrance, the sign, the noise coming from inside. Oh, and the stench.

   Can't ignore that stench.

   Humans stood behind the velvet rope, but none were being allowed in... Henri had been telling the truth, at least.

   Speaking of the vamp, I hadn't spotted him yet, but I didn't want to – because of Ethan, who was oddly okay with his seemingly simple job for the night.

   "So, I just stay out here and keep watch while you go inside and check it out?"

   I nodded, giving him a nice smile. "Walk around the back a couple of times and keep a sharp eye. Who knows, maybe Henri Sinclair is here."

   Now why did I have to go and say that?! I was so stupid!

   Ethan's eyes went wide with what I guessed was delight. "Oh, yeah! Maybe he is."

   Jesus, what did I just do?

   I laughed nervously and glanced over at the club that was pulsing with life. Body odor, countless perfumes, and incense filled my nose.

   Shit, how many creatures were here for the opening?!

   "Be careful, okay, Toni?" Ethan called to me as I turned to go.

   Numbly, I nodded. "Of course. You too, Ethan." I turned completely just as a frown creased my friend's face, but soon, all was forgotten and drowned out by the club's literal energy. A room full of vamps is suicidal to endure alone, but a club full of vamps, weres, and witches?

   Shit, maybe this was a bad idea...

   Too late, a voice whispered in my head.

   Sighing heavily, I made my slow way to the entrance. As planned, Henri was there, but he wasn't in line like I'd expected him to be.

   Expect the unexpected whenever Henri Sinclair was involved.

   The vampire stood against the building, talking to the bouncer in a low voice. Both had lit cigarettes in their hands. The bouncer, when I got a better look at him, was a werewolf. Not one I'd ever met, of course, but still... Why were the two of them merely chatting? Buying time? Henri seemed completely relaxed and at ease next to his supposed mortal enemy... and since when did he smoke?

   I walked right up to the vamp, uncaring to the fact he could blow smoke right in my face, and asked. "You smoke?"

   Henri opened his eyes, and his fangs instantly came down to rest on his full lower lip. They'd come out at the mere sight of me... Shit.

   My pulse sped up but my face remained calm. Henri regarded me with cool black eyes and gave me a killer smirk.

   You could murder someone with that smirk...

   The were bouncer took a slow drag and when his eyes found me, he frowned. "No humans allowed unless accompanied-"

   "Actually she's mine," Henri replied smoothly, his fangs catching the light. The Mark throbbed at his words, and the feeling only increased when he took my wrist and pulled me against him, sniffing my throat, his breaths deep. He smelled like smoke, cinnamon and blood, and I whimpered softly when his nails dug into my arms and his tongue ran gently over his Mark.