Chapter 4: Rebound Girl

A/N: I know it's not Saturday, but I surprisingly got done with this chapter early, but I'm not complaining! :D Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy this chapter ;) EVENTFUL CHAPTER AHEAD!!

Chapter 4: Rebound Girl

   After I'd spent some time walking around in Central Park, I ended up going to the Agency. It was around noon and I had yet to inform the Order. Only I couldn't. I had to wait until sunset. Call me impatient.

   The top floor of the Agency (the office space) was pretty quiet, but that didn't bother me. The other hunters must've been out scouting or maybe on daylight missions to gain intel.

   Down on the lower level, I found very little activity. Where was everyone? I couldn't find one hunter or even a member of the Order.

   What the Hell?

   The lowest level (#3) wasn't so quiet or empty. The door to the Agency's arsenal was open. Not swinging open, but enough for me to notice it. Inside of the room stood a bunch of hunters, including Ethan and Clary. The only adults in the room were Ryan Church and his sister, Hyacinth. They flanked a table of shiny objects, an assortment of sizes and shapes.

   Brand new weapons.

   What else to showcase in our arsenal?

   From what I could see of the elevated table that the other hunters were crowded around, the weapons consisted of silver daggers, stakeholders, vials of holy water, brand new crossbows, and... even guns.

   Guns...

   I reached Ethan and tapped his shoulder lightly. My friend was looking at the weapons like a giddy little boy on Christmas day.

   It scared me a little.

   My touch startled him, caused him to jerk his head around to face me. His eyes widened as realization dawned. "Toni, where have you been?"

   "I... slept in."

   "You never sleep in," he replied, eyeing me suddenly with suspicion. "I had to give the report on my own."

   I squeezed past Ethan to get a better look at our new defense against the creatures of the night. "You didn't try to call me," I pointed out, wiping my forehead absentmindedly. "How'd they take it?"

   "Two bodies drained of blood at a brand new nightclub run by vampires?" Ethan drawled with a scoff. "The results were inconclusive. No match to the murderer."

   That's because the vamp responsible was a rogue. Or... at least, new in town.

   "So... " I prompted when Ethan remained silent. He shrugged, icy eyes scanning the room lined with sharp objects. "The Order is trying to figure something out. For the time being, we're on alert."

   I swallowed. "Is that why we're-?"

   "Alright, settle down!" Ryan called over the noise that I hadn't noticed had risen. The chatter among the hunters was loud. Not one fearful whisper, but close to shouts. Everyone was excited - or maybe angry - but why?

   Ryan raised his arms. "Enough!"

    Immediately, the noise ceased, and everyone's eyes turned to the Order members, and the table of weapons.

   "We've gathered every one of you for an important meeting. The deaths in our sector have gotten out of hand," Ryan announced, his steel eyes steady and hard. "Does anyone know why? Any guesses?"