Chapter 24: I'm Dying & I Know it

A/N: Hello, readers! Chapter 24 is finally here! I'll keep it simple this time around ;) Thanks for reading and enjoy!! :D

Chapter 24: I'm Dying & I Know it

   A cold hand sealed over my mouth before I could make a single sound. Gavin Sinclair was leaning over my prone body, immovable as stone. He smirked down at me, not saying a word. My eyes flickered to the button that signaled for help, but the vampire holding me in place was quick to notice. He jerked me roughly out of the hospital bed, toward the window. Gently, Gavin stroked my back as we stood there; touching the stiches. "Might as well keep these intact. They'll open on their own anyway," Gavin whispered to me as he held me tighter.

   I bit my lip hard when he jerked my head to the side by the hair so he could look at my bare neck.

   Damn it, I had no weapons... no protection...

   "That scar of yours must hurt like a bitch if another vampire bites you there," he observed with a playful pout. "I wonder how much pain you can endure in this state."

   "S-stop... " I struggled to get past my dry, cracked lips. I felt exhausted, and I had a feeling as to why. The nurse had said I'd almost bled to death. Was that why?

   I made a small sound of protest when Gavin released his hold on my hair, only to yank my chin upward so that I was forced to look him in the eye. My body froze in place as compulsion-laced words washed over me: "You're not going to fight me. Don't make a scene, little hunter."

   My arms went limp in defeat, and the vampire sent me a look of satisfaction, triumph in those scarlet depths. My body moved mechanically as Gavin dragged me from the small hospital room and out into the dimly lit hallway. When the coast was clear, he continued pulling me until he hit the elevators that led to ground level. I didn't resist, but only because of the compulsion and the pain. If Gavin had promised even more pain, I wouldn't have been able to walk, yet alone stand. The vampire was holding most of my weight as it was.

   Helpless...

   The St. Luke-Roosevelt Hospital Center was far from empty, but all staff members that made simple eye contact with Gavin suddenly received a far-off look to their expression. More compulsion, I realized with numb dread. Damn it, Gavin! This wasn't fair at all!

   We passed the front desk, and soon we were out the front door, and out into Manhattan twilight. Gavin's smile widened at the sight of a jet black limousine parked at the dipped curb.

   Wait... was that Henri's limo? 

   I was jerked forward by my captor, pushed in the direction of Henri's main means of transportation. I hadn't seen it in what felt like ages.

   The question remained: why did Gavin have it?

   Vampire in question pulled open the sleek passenger door before roughly pushed me onto the familiar leather seats. The coolness of them seeped into my body, causing me to gasp at the slight biting sensation as the material brushed against my torn back. I shifted uncomfortably as Gavin slid in beside me, his gaze on the limo driver. "You know where to go."

   "This ain't no cab service-" the driver began sourly, but Gavin quickly shut him up with the cold glare he gave. "Now. My master's expecting us." He looked my way with a smirk. "Wouldn't want to keep him waiting." He was talking about my uncle. What the Hell did that vampire want now? According to my current predicament, the answer: me.

   The driver started the engine without another protest, and soon we were off. The pain in my back just wouldn't fade, no matter how I sat against the limo seats. It was overly uncomfortable, but the ride didn't last very long in the end. Under twenty minutes, a few sharp turns and honks from impatient New Yorkers later, we'd reached our supposed destination. The door on my left opened, and I came face to face with... oh, shit.