Chapter 1: Keeping Up Disappearances

A/N: Hey, everyone! Thank you so much for being patient! As much as everyone was, the first chapter was just waiting for a while collecting dust, so I decided to release it EARLY :D I think you'll really enjoy the second book as much as (even more than) The Blood Diamond :D For new readers, thanks for taking an interest in my story! ;) I apprecite it completely <3 If you're new hear, you might want to read the first book before starting this one :P For ongoing readers, remember, feedback is encouraged! (my computer doesn't catch EVERY mistake) Now... buckle up for the first chapter of The Wolfsbane Rubies! Whoo :D Thanks again for reading!!

Chapter 1: Keeping Up Disappearances

   Vampires are stupid.

   Okay, more like idiots, since stupid is such a strong word.

   They always seem to think that no one will catch them feeding and stop them. That's why they're idiots. Do you know why they're stupid? They don't expect vampire hunters like me, Antoinette Drake, to rain on their artery party.

   Welcome to Manhattan, New York. This place can be quite dangerous, and I don't just mean with thugs, muggers and prostitutes; I mean with vampires. Not to mention werewolves, witches and their magical counterparts (warlocks, if you want to get technical and nitpick), necromancers and much, much more.

   Okay, just kidding.

   Those are the only major groups in the entire state. Maybe even the country. At least, as far as I knew. Of course, not all of these... beings broke the law on a daily basis, easily capturing our attention. Witches and warlocks tend to stay far away from hunters and they also barely mingle with any of the other species. Weres are pretty much the same way, except for the fact that some (and I mean 'not all' when I say that) can't help but cause havoc. It's in their DNA, and it's uncontrollable at times, so the Agency usually overlooks them, too.

   Our main source of rule breakers and convicts are the vampires; smartass bloodsuckers who, as I mentioned before, are too confident for their own good.

   Which, of course, brings me to one vampire in particular: Henri Sinclair, the city's richest among the undead.

   Yeah, he's a bastard - I mean, vampire.

   No, seriously... bastard.

   Plus, he claimed to love me. Then hate me.

   Dude, just pick an emotion, already...

   That vamp was in serious trouble these days; first with the Order for escaping imprisonment... and for all they knew he'd disappeared with the rest of the damn clan. He was hiding, and Goddammit, I was helping him hide.

   Boy was I the stupid one after that!

   Henri was also still being punished - in a way - by his master, AKA my vampire uncle, Robert Drake. When my parents had died at his hands, Henri had protected me.

   Bad move on his part.

   Now, my uncle was coming back to Manhattan. For me.

   When? Hell if I knew!

   His intention: to turn me into a vampire.

   Yeah, like that'll ever happen...

   Keep in mind that hunters who are turned by vampires out of revenge or something else are usually so depressed that they stake themselves to end the pain.