Chapter 21: Abomination

A/N: Done extra early! :D As promised, chapter 21 :) This one took me FOREVER in my opinion, but it turned out AMAZING :D Trust me... Go ahead and enjoy, everyone! ;) This chapter might contain one of the biggest foreshadowings in Antoinette Drake history! See if you can spot it as you read chapter 21! Thanks for reading! <3

Chapter 21: Abomination

    "It's magnificent, isn't it?" Robert strode into the room, closing the door behind him and locking it... for good measure, of course. I nearly rolled my eyes at the over-the-top gesture. I mean, it's not like I was going anywhere.

   Not with a psychotic, mind-reading newborn and a freaking master vampire in the same room.

   This wasn't going to end well... for me, that is.

   My uncle nodded at his creation in acknowledgement before he straightened and walked past me, white-gloved hands clasped behind his back. Per usual, Robert was dressed up in a jet black suit and matching black tie. Some strands of his hair bled into the dark of his padded shoulders. My uncle wore a knowing smile as his gaze shifted from Stephen to me, a purpose in his dark eyes.

   The newborn let out a hiss when I took an unwilling step toward Robert. The master vampire chuckled, eyes flashing a dangerous red. Glancing at Stephen, I'd finally come to a conclusion: he was beyond help, and it was my duty to end it before it got out of hand. To end him before he killed more. If only I had a more suitable weapon that wasn't out of my reach. If only Henri were here in the room with me. If only, if only.

   I was in such deep shit.

   "Is this yet another test, uncle?" I bit out, barely managing to avert my eyes from Robert's pulling gaze. "Another challenge to force me into vampirism?"

   Robert only continued to smile as he watched me intently, his stance suddenly guard. "Now, why would I do that?"

   Because you're just like that, I thought, but refrained from speaking aloud. It was probably smart of me to keep my damn mouth shut. It has gotten me in – and sometimes even out – some pretty bad shit.

   Like now, for instance.

   "I'm surprised you came here, Antoinette. Especially when you knew the consequences. Then again, you had a job to do, didn't you? The Order assigned you to this suicide mission." He shook his head, chuckling a bit. "They must've thought that you were invaluable. Replaceable."

   "What are you trying to get at?" I questioned through clenched teeth. I didn't like where this conversation was going, and I sure as Hell didn't like how nonchalant my uncle was acting. A few nights ago, he was forceful and chock-full of threats. Now? Nothing. It made absolutely no sense, and I didn't like that.

   "Kill the killer before the human population drops some more, huh? Is that what they told you?"

   "The Order?" I asked, eyebrow raised in question. He was focused on the hunters... why? "The Order-"

   "Never mind," my uncle waved it off, his conversation switching gears as his coal-black eyes fell upon Stephen. The master vampire grinned suddenly. "I wonder... what's worse, Antoinette?" Robert asked as he took another slow step toward me, a predatory glint in his eyes. "Being turned into a never-dying, practically indestructible vampire, or dying? There is a difference, my dear, I can assure you that." He chuckled, his eyes settling once again on Stephen.

   Again, I didn't answer, afraid of the reaction. I frowned at my uncle, clearly not enjoying this situation one bit. Then again, who would? Locked in a room with a dead corpse and two vampires was surely not a good thing, especially when I had a heartbeat to hold on to.