What It Seems | Wattys 2023

By kayleeix

Adalynne Claire finds an old family photo album filled with pictures from her childhood. She holds hardly any... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue
Sequel (PLEASE READ!!!)

Chapter 46

4K 90 22
By kayleeix

If there was one thing about me, I'd be labeled as a light-sleeper. The door creaked open, and the figure was dark. I could tell it wasn't daylight out. I moved my hand and felt a hard, rocky stomach: Baylor. He was asleep, and I felt relieved that he was finally sleeping.

"I just wanted to come in and check on you. Do you need anything?" one of the doctors asked in a quiet tone. I whispered "no" and the doctor glanced over at my boyfriend.

"That young man wouldn't sit down for nothing," she chuckled. "He was up and at it. He was so worried about you. When you were induced into the coma, he'd come up to the desk and asked when you were going to wake up. Lord bless his soul. He'd come in and just stand over your bed for hours on into the night. He really loves you, y'know? He drove us crazy these past few days," the lady doctor giggled again. She walked over to Baylor's side to where he was sleeping on. She patted his shoulder.

"It's good to see him sleeping and not so worked up anymore." Baylor stirred, and the nurse backed away.

"Alright hun, get back to sleep. You need your beauty sleep," the nurse ordered sweetly. When she opened the door to walk out, I laid on my left side and watched Baylor finally sleep. How could anyone go three days without sleep? That's seventy-two hours.

Since he was laying on his stomach, his head turned the opposite way of me. I kissed his shoulder and laid my head there. He didn't feel anything nor hear a word. Like I always had done when he was the one asleep and I was the one awake, I'd lay right beside him and trail my hand up and down his back, squeezing his taut skin that laid right on top of his toned muscles. I loved to see him in comfort and admiration with what I can do for him. By finding out what he loves, which are back massages, is something I adore because it's normally the lady who loves back massages.

His wrinkled shirt moved up and down as my hand kept at a steady pace. I didn't want to wake him, so I stopped and kissed him again.

***

Finally. I finally got him to go home and shower. It took some time to persuade and assure him that I would be fine, that Jo and Aiden were here. Baylor looked different and better; he didn't have exhaustion patted into his face and bags under his eyes.

I took another spoonful of my favorite hazelnut spread. I have the most best friend in the world. She also brought my paper work to catch up on while I was bed-ridden for a few more days. I decided to copy her notes later on, but right now, I'm enjoying Nutella and the presence of my brother and my best friend.

"Good news is that you're getting out tomorrow," Aiden grinned wildly, like one of those circus clowns trying to make kids happy.

I gasped in shock and excitement. "Are you serious?"

He laughed, "Yes, I'm being serious. You just have to take it easy."

I nodded in agreement. "That's fine with me! I'm so ready to go home because the more I stay in here, the more I get homesick."

Jo chuckled, "I bet you're ready to take that itchy-looking cast off as well."

I widened my eyes and nodded my head. "I know, this thing is so annoying."

There was a moment of silence, therefore my brother and Jo just stared off into space.

"I'm gonna go down to see if we can't get you out earlier." Aiden ruffled my hair and went downstairs. Jo moved to lay beside me, in Baylor's spot.

"How are you and Baylor?" Jo interrogated.

"Really well. He's such a sweetheart."

Jo smiled. "Yeah, he's a really good friend. You have no idea how much he talks about you," she giggled.

"Oh, really now? Thank you for giving me the idea of teasing him," I chuckled.

"Noooo, you cannot tell him I told you that. He'll hate me," Jo begged.

I sighed, "Okay."

"I know this is a bit personal, but . . ." Jo trailed off, shakiness in her voice like she's unsure to tell me what she's about to speak of.

"What is it?"

"You're gonna freak."

"No, I'm not."

She threw her head back onto my pillow and groaned. "Have you ever, y'know, done it before?" she inquired.

I shook my head. "No."

"So you and Baylor haven't-" I shook my head with saucer eyes.

Jo bit her lip worriedly. "You promise not to tell?" Jo asked as she held out her pinky finger.

I clasped mine around hers and promised. "Oh my gosh, did -"

Her lips were inside her mouth, clutched between her top and bottom teeth. She nodded positively, and I gasped.

"Okay, before you think about all of the 'what if's', no, I am not pregnant."

I scrunched my nose up in disgust. "Ew, not with my brother."

She slapped my shoulder. "Hey, I'm just happy I didn't give mine away to someone I didn't love."

She has a point there. "But you and Baylor haven't?"

I shook my head no. "Is that bad though? I mean, I feel as if I'm like the only teenager that hasn't had that experience yet."

"What?! No, it means that you're strong enough to wait for the right person."

I frowned, "But I want it to be Baylor. I just can't imagine it being with any other person besides him."

"Then you need to tell him when you're ready; rather it be after you're healed and perfectly fine, or if it's years from now." It felt really good to have a heart-to-heart with Jo. I haven't had a best friend since my father passed away.

"I just feel bad because I know that he's a guy and he needs some activity in his life and I'm just being a coward about the whole situation. He hasn't said anything about it, hasn't pressured me into anything I didn't want to do. I just don't know when I'll truly consider myself being ready."

Jo hummed and took a spoon from the plastic bag the Nutella came in. She dipped her spoon in the huge jar. "Just think hard and listen closely. That's what I did. You'll know it when it's time."

If there was one thing that was true, it'd be that I wanted Baylor to be the only person I was ever with and I'm sincerely selfish over him. No matter how early it may be, Baylor is the one who knew how to steal my heart and treat it right.

The door bursted open with an excited Aiden. "You get to go home kiddo!"

I screeched in excitement and threw my arms in the air in victory. I chanted a little and nearly peeled myself off of my bed.

"Woah, woah, woah. We have a wheelchair and you will be wheeled out of here. When you get home, you have to get used to crutches. Sorry little sis." I shrugged my shoulders.

Aiden's phone beeped. He checked it.

"Baylor's on his way up to get you." I nodded excitedly.

"Okay, I need to get up because my butt is numb," I exaggerated. I literally was getting so sick of being stuck, practically glued to this bed. I wanted to walk around, get some exercise.

"Fine, but once you get up, you'll be sitting in a wheel chair until you get home," Aiden commanded.

"Yes, father." I groaned.

As he was folding my duvet, he shot me a bird. Aiden and Jo were packing up my things so I could go home today.

"Let's go home!" Baylor busted through the door like a maniac.

"Are you sure you both have her stuff? I can stop and get her medicines," Baylor offered kindly.

"We got it all, thanks man. She just needs to get out of here 'cause she's getting on my nerves." Aiden glared at me and I rolled my eyes. I scoffed and began to get up.

Baylor speedily walked to me, and Aiden clutched my left arm. "Would you wait a damn minute!" Aiden yelled.

I punched him in his shoulder. "Stop being such a douche, you fag," I scolded. Baylor unhooked my IVs and let them sling to the side of the machine. He grabbed me by my sides and carried me over his shoulder. He placed me onto the wheelchair.

"You two are unbelievable; you can tell y'all are brother and sister," Jo commented. She packed my MacBook into its computer case and placed my pillow on top of my comforter that was folded.

"She's just too impatient and that gets on my nerves," Aiden's voice thrilled.

"Aiden . . ." Baylor and Jo harmonized. I slumped in my wheelchair, just about to roll out by myself.

"You're such a freaking asshole."

"Oh, yeah? And you're a bitch." That made my eyes squint and tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Aiden, what the hell, man?" Baylor's voice boomed.

"Don't stick up for her just because she's your little girlfriend," Aiden flared. Why was he getting so angry? Stress-related? I hear you, big bro. You aren't the one with a broken leg, I spoke to him mentally. If my leg weren't broke, I'd kick him where the sun doesn't shine. I could use my other leg, however . . . but wait, I might get yelled at . . . again.

"You've seriously been a jackass, Aiden. That's your little sister," Jo glared at him. He rolled his eyes and huffed.

"Can we please go?" I whispered, begging Baylor. I was already sobbing, not believing the argument that's going on between my brother and me. We haven't had an argument like this in ages.

He grabbed my phone from the table that was beside my recently used bed. He stuffed it into his pocket and told Jo "bye." Baylor grabbed the crutches that were propped against the wall and handed them to me. He rolled me out, and the only thing that I heard was my sniffling.

When we got to the parking lot, I remembered that Baylor didn't have his Jeep that I fell in love with.

"What are you driving?"

"It's a black Charger. Just for rental until I get a new car," Baylor answered. Once we reached the sports car, he wheeled me by the passenger side of the car. He took my crutches and placed them in the backseat.

"You ready?" he interrogated, waiting for my reply. I nodded yes and he opened the passenger door. The dinging of the car sounded while he picked me up and placed me into the freshly scented car. He tried buckling me up, but I told him that I was fine buckling my own seatbelt. The wheelchair was folded and placed in the backseat along with the crutches.

Once we were on the road, Baylor placed his hand on my thigh and squeezed it lightly. He fumbled around with my hand and placed my hand in his lap. One thing he didn't do was take his eyes off the road - not once.

"Aiden and I haven't argued like that since. . . I can't even tell you when. It's been ages."

Baylor stroked my hand with his long thumb and then snaked his fingers with mine.

"Well, you're not a bitch; although you do get a little feisty when you're on your . . . you know what." I chuckled at the awkward conversation that this had lead to.

"You are such a dork." If there was one thing I knew about Baylor, well, it's that he can lift my spirits up higher than the sky and he knew how to make me happy.

When we had gotten to Baylor's home, Baylor was making quesadillas and I was busy gathering the lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, onions, and the rest of the ingredients that went in the quesadilla.

The chicken smelled magnificent. "Who gave you cooking lessons?" I asked, breaking lettuce apart and placing it into a bowl.

"Coluer." Once the chicken was cooked, Baylor added in some more chicken and squirted a bit more olive oil into the pan.

"When you're able to walk again, I'm taking you out on a real date. We haven't been on one in a while," Baylor noted.

I limped slowly to stand behind him. I pressed my front to his back and wrapped my arms around his waist. His sharp muscles in his back worked as he was stirring the chicken. I heard him set the wooden spoon on the stove. He turned around and snaked his arms over my shoulders.

"As long as I'm with you; rather being in bed, doing absolutely nothing to playing thumb war, I just love being around you," I told Baylor and kissed him.

He picked me up by my waist and placed me on the same counter he always sets me on. Baylor palmed my left knee, leaving my right one alone, and placed himself between my legs. He came close to me, his hands on my lower back, holding me firmly. My arms snaked around his neck, pulling him closer to me, right where I wanted him to be.

"Well, y'know . . . I would like to show you off since you're my girl," he smiled. His deep brown, hazel irises moved back and forth between mine and he placed his forehead on mine. His lips touched the tip of my nose, and I reached his lips with mine.

"My perfect, wonderful Rose."

***

I moaned in ardor from the delicious, juicy quesadilla. Mexican food was my all-time favorite, and Baylor knew how to spice up some ingredients.

"Are you eating the quesadilla or having sex with it?" Baylor asked with an amusement tone and smiled brightly.

I finished chewing and sat my quesadilla on my plate. A loose piece of a chicken was on the white glass and I picked it up and threw it at him, hitting him on his forehead. Baylor's laugh was deep, a rumbling noise vibrating; I laughed in unison.

"Oh, I'm definitely having sex with it," I sarcastically spoke. I took another bite and moaned in the process, making Baylor laugh uncontrollably.

I've encountered so many people when they talk while they're eating to the point where I couldn't stand it, so here I was, speaking while I had food in my mouth.

"Stop laughing, you're gonna make me choke," I hollered.

"Ahahaha!" he laughed louder, making me grin. I didn't want to open my mouth so it was a laugh that had to be held in.

Baylor sat his empty plate on the coffee table and then pulled my legs into his lap one-by-one. Beginning with my right limb, he placed one hand beneath my thigh and the other underneath the hard plastic, bringing my right leg in his lap without my leg bending. But for my left leg, it was easier. Once I was done, I sat my plate right beside Baylor's. He gazed at me for the longest time. I covered my face with my hands like I was about to play peekaboo with a child.

Baylor clasped his hand around my wrists so my hands could unprotect my features.

As silence built between us two as we sat there, watching a movie on Netflix, I recalled back to the conversation with Jo.

I glanced at Baylor whose eyes were settled upon the TV, quite lost into the movie.

Was I ready? Ready to give myself away to him, for him to see all of me like no one else has? Ready for him to make love to me? I wanted him to; I definitely want him to be the one who takes my innocence and keeps it sacred, his forever to keep.

When Baylor glanced at me, I decided to play a game with him by turning my head sharply. My eyes danced upon the TV screen. I bit down on the inside of my lips to stop myself from smiling, which was impossible. Once I thought Baylor had turned to face the TV, I glanced at him but he only had his head lulled back on the sofa with a smirk spreading ear to ear.

"I knew you couldn't keep your eyes off of me."

I snorted, "Yeah, because you're so hot." Baylor's eyes were scrunched together from his cheeks pushing up from his arrogant smile.

"C'mere," Baylor spoke. It took some adjusting, but I wounded up in his lap in the meantime.

I took Baylor's hand that was recently resting on my stomach. I fumbled with his long fingers and pressed our palms together. I traced the indents of lines on his palm and then twisted my fingers with his.

"When's the AM concert?" I pondered.

"In July. Are you ready to go?"

I nodded, "Yes! You can't just get me worked up about something," I chuckled and pinched his cheek.

He squeezed my nose and grinned, "Sorry babe."

My phone began to ring, causing us to squirm around. It was all the way in the kitchen on the charger. Once I missed the call, Baylor's phone began to ring.

"Oh my gosh," I sighed. Baylor picked up my casted leg and propped my limb on the pillow that his arm was propped on.

"It's Aiden," his voice echoed from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes.

"Do you want me to answer it?" I glanced at him and he was waiting for my answer.

"You can talk to him, but I don't want to." He nodded and pressed his phone to his ear. Baylor jumped up on the counter and lumped over as he talked to my brother over the phone. I watched the characters on the TV, but listened to the conversation Baylor was carrying on with Aiden.

"I have to defend her - she's my girlfriend."

"If Jo had an older brother, you'd understand."

"Yeah, but that wasn't cool, bro."

"She said she didn't want to talk to you."

"No, I already asked her."

"I don't know, it's up to her. You can't force her to go back home."

"I'm not coming in between you two!"

"Alright, see ya."

Baylor threw his phone on the counter and padded back to sit beside me. He shook his head, "Your brother -"

"I know."

Baylor stood over the couch. "Let's go play Mario Kart."

I reached my arms out to an extent and he wrapped his arms around my back and picked me up. He easily slung me over his shoulder and I was steady laughing.

Baylor managed to walk upstairs with me over his shoulder and he placed me on the love seat that was upstairs. He held two Wii remotes that were on the entertainment center while he placed the disk in the console. I turned the TV on and the music of the Wii played a bit loudly.

"I'm gonna beat you," Baylor bragged.

"Don't say that until we're actually racing." Baylor sat right beside me, and I dipped in toward him to where our thighs were touching. His arm dropped over my shoulder and his remote was held with both hands. I took the other remote and waited to connect mine.

"I think it's hot when a girl plays a video game with me."

I hummed and he chuckled. "You're on, Rose."

"Don't get too cocky, Kent." Baylor's grip around my shoulder tightened and his body warmth warmed me up. He was that close to where I could smell Old Spice deodorant and fabric softener from his shirt.

He doesn't even smoke anymore. In fact, he hasn't smoked in a while. He barely even drinks anymore, which is a good thing because he's underage anyway.

"I'm Yoshi," I commented before he could pick Yoshi. Everyone loves the little green dinosaur.

"You suck," he groaned. "I'm Mario, then."

"I must not suck that bad enough since I'm still your girlfriend," I spoke monotony.

"True."

Once the game was over, I was the one who won. Hence a little disappointed opponent sitting right beside me.

"That isn't fair because you cheated," he scoffed.

"Don't show bad sportsmanship," I ordered. I sat my remote in my lap and yawned.

"Tired?" Baylor placed his hand over my mouth. I struggled to breathe out, which caused a weird vibration on Baylor's hand.

"You're such a fag," I complained.

"I must not be that bad of a fag since I'm still your boyfriend," Baylor mocked with amusement seeping through his voice.

"True."

***

I pulled out a pair of boxers and a t-shirt from his drawer. I could feel his eyes staring into the back of my head.

"Don't look," I demanded.

"Can't promise you that."

"Baylor!" I screeched and heard his cackling echo into a pillow.

I turned around to make sure he wasn't looking, but he was turned over on his stomach like he always sleeps. He was shirtless and only had on a pair of sweats.

I peeled my tanktop off and threw it on the floor. I then slid my jeans down my legs and unfolded the clothes so I could dress into them.

"Y'know, you could go to bed in just that." I turned to see Baylor propped up on his headboard with a broad smirk over his lips.

"Baylor, you perv!"

He chuckled, "What? You're hot." He shrugged his shoulders and I rolled my eyes at him and scoffed. I slid his boxers over my panties and climbed into bed beside him, knowing that I would be safe enclosed in his strong arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.4K 2K 37
"I'm scared" I whisper as a tear trails down my cheek. Hayden's eyes soften as he stares down at me. He pulls me into his chest, resting his head on...
354K 7.9K 39
Haley Jacobs is not your typical teenager. Her once perfect life, long gone. She has gone through hell and back, and is barely hanging on by a thr...
138K 4.2K 34
One girl. One boy. One Christmas. ~~~~~ "This is so good!" - @Rubyredprimrose "I'm gonna miss reading this book. ❤" - @Theodorables "Omg I love it so...
1.3K 242 51
"I loved knowing she was scared of me. My insides were hurting from all the build up anger. It was all her fault. It was her fault my life was a mess...