What It Seems | Wattys 2023

By kayleeix

Adalynne Claire finds an old family photo album filled with pictures from her childhood. She holds hardly any... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue
Sequel (PLEASE READ!!!)

Chapter 44

4.1K 96 8
By kayleeix

I was woken up by my hair being tugged lightly, being twisted around long fingers. My eyes fluttered open, my eyesight blurry as it became adjusted to the light. I squinted my eyes at the blurry figure, but once I blinked twice, his image was full. There laid a bare torso Baylor, his eyes staring deeply at my long hair being played with - as if my hair was very delicate and fragile. His vibrant brown eyes met mine and he pecked my forehead.

"Good morning, sleepy beauty." Baylor smiled and laid his head on my pillow.

I realized I was on Baylor's side of the bed, with the sheets and comforter wrapped around me in a cocoon. Had I been sleeping like this all night?

"Good morning, handsome." I grinned back and debated on kissing him because I was afraid he'd say something about my morning breath.

How long had he been awake? He looks nowhere near vulnerable and he had on a pair of different shorts (he actually had on sweatpants last night). He smelt like mint and body wash.

"When did you wake up?" I asked weakly.

"About an hour and a half ago." It looked daylight outside just by the sun shining through the blinds of Baylor's room.

"What time is it?" I quizzed again.

He looked passed me, over at the clock on his bedside table. "7:30."

Oh, yeah - it's Wednesday and school doesn't start until 9. I tried unwrapping the covers from around my body, but I failed terribly.

I heard Baylor cackle at my failure. He helped me open the cocoon and I was finally out. I just wanted to lay here for at least five more minutes. His bed was comfier than mine and I was just horribly lazy. Aiden never let's me sleep in past 6.

Baylor leaned in towards my lips, but just before he became two inches close, I pressed my hand against his mouth. He was deadpanned and confused as to why I wouldn't let him kiss me.

"I have morning breath."

He shrugged his shoulders. "Your excuse is?"

"At least let me brush my teeth," I whined. I tried not to talk louder than I am right now. If Aiden complains about my morning breath, so will Baylor and I'd be afraid Baylor wouldn't want to kiss me anymore.

"Why? No good morning kiss?" he frowned in a pout.

I shook my head in a negative manner and picked up my weak body from the comfortable, warm bed. My arm had been tugged back sharply, not painfully, and I was practically thrown back onto the bed with the power of Baylor's strength. He pinned his hands on my hips and hovered over me. His hands moved from my hips to my hands, which were now clasped in Baylor's large hand frame, and my wrists were pinned beside my head.

"Do not make me hold you down," he warned in a serious state.

His face was only three inches from mine, and I didn't want to speak. But I had to, so I mumbled, "Please let me brush my teeth at least." I begged, trying to bribe him with my puppy-dog eyes. He only inched closer, not falling for my looks.

"We can have a full make out session," I promised, which might not even happen since I won't have a lot of time considering getting ready for school.

He peppered kisses on my forehead, my cheeks, and lastly before my lips, my nose. He kissed me so softly yet so sweetly with so much passion. He pulled away and kissed the place between my eyebrows.

"Happy?" I sarcastically asked with an arch of my brow. I so badly wanted to cross my arms over my chest.

"Very."

I began to pull at the clasp around my wrists to free myself. Once I ran out of energy, I whined. "I kissed you so now let me get ready."

He only stared at me with a gaze with sparkling eyes that were so captivating. I removed his hands from around my wrist, but he remained his statue above my body with his elbows propped beside my head in a plank position. I poked his chest.

"Do not make me push you off." He smirked and planted his lips onto mine again.

I palmed his face with my hands and slowly removed his lips from mine. "Let me get ready."

He moved over in a quiet manner and plopped on the opposite side of me. I got up and walked towards his bathroom to brush my teeth and comb down my hair. After I had brushed both my teeth and hair, I realized I didn't bring anything to wear for school.

I exited the bathroom and found Baylor's room empty. I pondered over the thought of where he might be and I figured the living room or kitchen.

I walked down the staircase and found him on the lounge chair with his phone up to his ear. I could hear his faint voice in a murmur, and as I got closer I could hear what he was saying.

"Yeah, I'll be there soon. I'm bringing a surprise, too." He paused for a brief moment to let the anonymous person speak through the phone. "Yeah, I love you, too. I think Adalynne just got out of the bathroom so I'll call you later."

My heart stopped and my chest pang for the beat to continue. My stomach dropped. Is he telling another girl he loves her? No, he couldn't be.

I decided to let it slide until I get the right chance to ask him instead of being the pesky girlfriend that doesn't allow her boyfriend to talk to anyone, hang around anyone . . . I just want to ask him at the right time.

"Are you okay?" Baylor asked, sliding his phone into his jeans pocket.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine," I lied. I tried to glue a smile upon my lips to assure him that I was alright, which I'm not.

"No you're not; what's bugging you? You were just fine five minutes ago."

I shook my head to try to prove my pout. "I don't have any school clothes," I admitted, shoving the real point off of my tense shoulders.

"I have some of your clothes here," he said. I followed him upstairs and into his room. I wonder who he was talking to over the phone. I hadn't even payed attention at the words he was saying, but all I could hear was a faint laugh as he opened his closet door.

"Which shirt and which pair of jeans do you want?" Baylor asked as he stood in front of four outfits of mine on hangers, in his closet.

"Surprise me," I lightly smiled.

"Cover your eyes and don't look," he grinned, as if we were playing hide and seek.

I done as he told and waited for him to pick out a shirt and a pair of jeans. "You can open now."

He handed me the outfit he chose and I sat the clothes on his unmade bed and looked at the outfit he picked out. I hadn't even realized I was missing this shirt; it was one of my favorites.

"I like the jeans because they make your butt look amazing."

I chuckled at the cheesy boy and shook my head. "So that's giving an excuse to the rest of the guys at school to look at my butt?" I crossed my arms with an arched brow, seeking his point.

"Nope, only I can look and touch." He smirked.

"Huh," I huffed.

I scooped the floral shirt in my arms and padded to the bathroom to change my (Baylor's) garments. Just before I shut the door, Baylor had stopped me.

"What's wrong?" he mocked the same question; a tint of demanding in his throat.

"What?"

He crossed his arms against his chest and walked closer to me. "I can tell when you're upset just by the way you look and talk."

I sat my clothes on the toilet. "Nothing's wrong; I just don't wanna go to school today." Well that's not what it's actually about, but it is the truth. I want to spend all day here and bake, playfully fight, watch movies, and talk heart-to-hearts.

"You never want to go to school, but you never act upset about it." He has a point.

"If I were to tell you, you'd think I was the most paranoid girlfriend, so don't worry about it," I insisted. I really did not want to come out with the point of being called paranoid.

"You're not, now tell me what's bugging you," he dictated. "So I can handle anything that's wrong with you," he lilted.

I puffed. "Who were you on the phone with earlier?"

He didn't hesitate at all to answer my shaky question. "My mom."

He dug in his pocket for his phone and unlocked it. After a quick five seconds, he held up his black iPhone and the bright, white screen read 'Mom'. My lips formed an 'o' as in response.

"There's nothing to be paranoid about, I'll never have any doings with any girl except you." At this, I smiled. It sounded as if he really meant what he spoke, which made me really cheery inside.

"Sorry for being paranoid," I apologized.

He hugged my neck with his arms, his arms wrapping around my whole torso with his hands resting on the small of my back. "Don't apologize; I'd be paranoid if I were you, hearing my boyfriend tell someone else he loves them. The only women I love is you and my mom."

The fact that he has actually made a bonded connection with his mother has made me happier. And how could I think of him being disloyal to me? God, I'm such a terrible girlfriend.

"And the only men I love is you and my brother," I replied. I kissed the spot just behind his ear. He squeezed my bum in response.

"You," I clenched my teeth as I warningly poked his chest like he was in trouble. His chest rumbled in a cackle against the pad of my finger.

Baylor wouldn't let go of me. "It's like forty-five minutes before class starts and you're holding me back," I informed him. I was too weak to pull from him.

"We can't just be a little late?" he begged intensely with his brown, piercing eyes.

"Nope." I popped the 'p' with my lips.

"And you need to be working harder instead of wanting to skip classes just because of me. You want to be a doctor, right?" I asked, already knowing the answer. He nodded anyway with a look of pure amusement.

"Then take school seriously."

He let go of me then. I guess the last part of my demanding speech got to him.

Just when I closed the bathroom door, I heard his low voice rumble with a huff of released air. "You drive me insane."

I smiled. Once I was dressed, I took in a good view of my hair. It had a few waves here and there, and the ends of my hair ended just at the band of my jeans. I left it alone, realizing I had no time to mess with it. And with my makeup, I only wore eye makeup since I realized I left all of it at home besides mascara and eyeliner.

I walked downstairs to a very concentrated Baylor, whom was standing over the stove. I didn't speak one word to him but just simply snaked my arms around his waist and placed my chest to his back. My head had rested peacefully on the middle of his back. I smelt something cooking and I snuck under his arm to where his limb wrapped around me.

"You're a great chef," I complimented Baylor as I smelt the delicious breakfast being cooked. He flipped the egg, the yellow food landing perfectly well in the pan.

"At least I know how to take care of another person and I cook good," he smiled.

I rolled my eyes at his arrogance. "You're only eighteen," I chuckled.

"I'll be nineteen in a month," he commented, proving, somewhat, a point.

"And still in high school," I replied.

"Well I should be graduated by now but they held me back because I made wrong decisions and I skipped school for almost a solid school year."

I patted his back and slung my arm across his front to hug his side. I then pulled away. Five minutes later it was time to eat. I rarely have time to cook a prepared meal instead of a breakfast bar. But Baylor's breakfasts are amazing.

"I'll be graduating when I'm nineteen because I had to retake the seventh grade because of the plane crash." I took a bite out of the egg and mentally moaned in satisfaction. I saw a frown approach his lips.

"And because I have a late birthday," I finished. I'm pretty sure he knew all of this because he knew about the coma way before I found out about it.

"I don't have an excuse," he shrugged it off. He finished his meal in a span of three minutes.

I huffed and took my plate to the sink so I could wash it. "Well you're doing really well in class so I'd count that as success." I smiled.

I ran the sponge across the glass plate and the bubbly dish detergent cleaned off the food. I rinsed the plate and dried it off with the cloth. I then began to wipe the counters and the stove as Baylor finished washing leftover dishes.

"You don't have to clean, it's my mess," Baylor told me.

"Well I stay here a lot," I counted, manipulating him to let me finish my job. Baylor's home was my home, really.

"I don't care."

I ignored him and continued to help clean the kitchen. While he was washing the dishes, his back to me, I left to make his bed just for the heck of it. Who cares if he gets upset.

I laid the pillows on a chair in Baylor's room, and disconnected the wrapped up sheets. Once I had managed to break the embrace of the sheets and the duvet, I laid the comforter on top of the pillows. I began to fix the bottom sheet by stuffing the edges under the mattress. By the time I was done with that duty, I laid the navy blue sheet on top of the bottom one, arranging it how it should be. I then tucked the two bottom corners of the sheet under the mattress like I had done with the other. And on with the heavy, red comforter.

The bed was made, but the pillows had to be put in place. "Has your OCD kicked in this morning?" Baylor asked.

I snapped my head to him leaning against the door frame with his shoulder.

"I'm just making your bed, Baylor," I sighed. I threw the pillows on the dressed mattress and watched them plop on the bed in the correct spot.

"And I don't have OCD," I corrected with a pitchy voice to revive my feelings, albeit they weren't offended by any means.

He chuckled and eased his way closer to me. "I'm just kidding, babe." He swiftly picked me up and laid me on the bed; his body hovered over my side.

"Why don't you just move in with me already?" Baylor begged through the stare in his eyes.

"It's too early for that. We're both still in high school," I responded with my opinion.

"When you're a senior, move in with me then," Baylor insisted.

I giggled, "You'll be in college by then."

He rolled his eyes and began to play with my hair that framed my face. "I'll be a freshman."

"What if you happen to get into a college that's hours away? We'll never see each other," I stated the what if's and cons of us going by Baylor's desires.

"I'd take you with me and take care of you."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck to bring him closer. "That's so not going to happen."

He pouted heavily and tried to come up with a creative scenario to change my mind. "That's what a man is supposed to do, take care of his family," he concluded.

I grinned at the thought of him mentioning "family." Does Baylor see a future with me? I mean, we've been in a relationship for a few months but we've already fallen in love. I'd at least take things a lot slowler so I could get my education first and accomplish my goals before creating a family.

"That's a long way down the line."

He rolled his eyes at my stubbornness. "Wait, so if we go to the same college, then we could share an apartment with each other." He smiled hugely, just enough to make me cave in.

"Okay, okay. We've got to slow down a bit because our future comes first if we're willing to be successful." He nodded slowly and beamed at the same time.

School had crossed my mind, and I looked at the alarm clocked that was by Baylor's bed: it read 8:35.

"Should we get going?" I asked, gesturing to the clock with the neon numbers.

"I guess," he groaned in laziness.

I grabbed my bookbag downstairs and waited for Baylor who was in the kitchen cutting off all the lights. He had his keys and wallet in his hand and that was my cue that he was ready. I opened the door and escaped his condo while I watched him lock the door behind him.

He grabbed my hand and clasped my fingers with his. For some odd reason, we were walking slower than we normally do when we're walking with each other, and I had a feeling that I knew he didn't want to leave his own home. But I didn't mind, because I didn't necessarily want to go as well.

By the time we were down in the lobby, there were a group of boys who were possibly in their late teens, early twenties. I couldn't help but smile into Baylor's arm as he pulled me closely into his side, with his hand on the curve of my bum.

By the time we were in the car, Baylor had brought the engine of his car to life and Cage the Elephant roared through the system of his Jeep. Cigarette Daydream had just came on, and as I began to sing quietly along to the lyrics, Baylor turned it up.

"You like this song, huh?" Baylor looked over to me with a vibrant smile. I returned the same grin. I took his hand and cupped both of my hands around his, and placed his hand in my lap. I ran my thumb over the mountains of his sharp knuckles. Just when he had taken his eyes off the road to glance at our hands, a truck hit Baylor's side of the Jeep, and luckily it was in the backseat.

"Shit!" Baylor cursed as I had screamed as the Jeep spun in circles in the middle of the four-way. My head was spinning from the other car's hit, making the Jeep jerk. And just when the crushed Jeep had frozen for two milliseconds, a different car had hit my side this time. There was a sharp pain around my right leg, making me scream in agony. The tears were spilling horribly down my face as I tried to hold my shaking, bloody hands onto my leg.

Glass was shattered all over the place; pieces of my window were in my hands and in my arms. My skin was sliced open, making blood run down my fingers and onto my jeans. There was a stinging, sharp pain on my forehead and practically everywhere in my upper body. From too much pain and the sight of too much blood, I began to fade in and out of consciousness. My eyes were droopy as I looked at Baylor, who looked like a deer in headlights with a long piece of glass dug into his leg. Blood had sept around the hole of his jeans.

I wept, making his head turn to me. I leaned my head back and hissed at the contact with the head rest. My neck felt as if it had snapped and my head had began to spin. My vision had become blurry and the people around the Jeep who seemed to be on their phones were two instead of one being.

"No, no, no. Adalynne, look at me." I heard Baylor's shaky, frightened voice. He palmed my cheeks with his bloody hands.

My eyes were heavy and I couldn't keep them open. The darkness was one place that I had no pain for a moment which was pleasing, and my eyes had closed like I was falling asleep. Loud sirens were from a distance, but they didn't keep me conscious.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.8K 2.4K 30
As they say, everyone hides secrets, and some people, very deep ones. An emotionally scarred and physically abused Dina McCarthy is considered danger...
665K 12.7K 46
[18+✔️] (Completed. Ongoing bonus chapters.) When Kaitlyn finds her four year relationship ending the day she finds out about her parents separating...
1.2M 26.9K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...
1.2M 45K 25
Life was suppose to be easy or so they say. Haley Gardner had everything she could have ever wanted; a hot boyfriend, a loving family, and the chance...