The Girl Who Changes

By ShadowhunterNovak

On the run to protect her foster family she is determined to find out what happened. Ashley Parker is a 17 y... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 2

48 2 2
By ShadowhunterNovak

Finally leaving the classroom, where I did not listen to a single thing that my teacher told me, was a relief. I was obsessing over that kid and what he knew about my biological parents. After I found out they didn't want me, I didn't want anything to do with them. I was still curious though, who were they? Why did they give me up? Who do I look like? Whose personality do I have? These questions have been plaguing me since I read that note.

They were all that was on my mind right up until I hear my name. I turn my head, but there was no one. I took my time leaving and now I am late to my class. I didn't want to go. I was confused and wanted to go home.

'Ashley!' I spin again, no one there.

Shaking my head, I blame it on my imagination.

'I'm not your imagination.' I hear. I look up and down the hall, Am I losing my mind?

'Of course not! Don't you know?'

"Know what?" I ask aloud. I feel stupid. Talking to myself at school.

'Oh, you don't know? Your parents haven't told you?' The voice says

"Natalie and John?"

'Are they you biological parents?'

"No. I'm" I pause lowering my voice to a whisper, "Adopted."

'This is a problem. I recommend getting out of here."

"Why? This is the first day of school I can't miss it."

'Your choice. But if you don't want to create havoc in this school I recommend leaving. You're going to shift.'

"Uhh, shift? Shift into what?"

'Into a wolf stupid. I'm your wolf. Aurora. Please tell me you at least want to keep your school safe.'

I shake my head still confused. A wolf?

'You heard me, now get out of here.'

At that I knew I was going crazy I mean, wolves? Werewolves? God I shouldn't have come to school.

Shaking my head, I continue walking. Until a bout of pain stops me. It felt like my legs were being inverted. The bones snapping to face another direction. I scream. The pain was too much. I fall to my knees sobbing. My books falling everywhere.

Then I remember what my wolf said. I turn to leave and get out of this school. I can't risk anyone here. Not Ali.

That thought gives me the strength to stand up again. I stand up, the pain momentarily forgotten as I run out of the hall. Leaving behind everything. I sprint out to the paddocks that led to my house, if I ever wanted to walk I went through there, but now I spare no time to look at my surroundings. The burning feeling of my bones breaking over and over again had kicked in.

I stumbled in a hole, I fall to my knees once again.

The pain was unbearable. I felt my vision tinging a dark colour. Slowly fading until there was nothing.

xX---Xx

Opening my eyes, peering through the groggy film, blinking that away, I see that I have perfect vision. I could see the far tree in my backyard that I fell off when I first came here. One of the first thing I realise was that I was naked. The second was that I was at my back door and that there was a slight metallic tang in my mouth. Looking around I wonder how I got here. Last thing I remember was walking home thinking I was crazy.

Then it hit me.

I'm a werewolf.

No, that's impossible. I don't know what I did but with that taste in my mouth I know it wasn't good.

I trip my way into the house looking around. Natalie and John weren't home yet. Thank God. I attempt to climb the stairs only falling to my knees once. My legs are weak. I can't hold my own weight for long.

I make my way into my room and rip some clothes off the coat hangers and chuck them on. I can't stay here anymore. I don't know what I did but it can't have been good. I taste blood in my mouth for Gods sake. That's not normal.

'Of course it's not, you were just a wolf. I chased some bunnies.'

I shriek as I hear that voice in my head again, am I too young to be diagnosed with schizophrenia?

'You don't have schizophrenia. I told you before, I'm your wolf Aurora.'

I ignore the voice. I don't want to acknowledge the voice, it would mean that I am definitely crazy.

I don't know what just happened, but I have to get out of here.

With that thought in mind, I cram as many clothes into a bag as I can and jog downstairs to grab some food.

I jam all the food into that bag and get ready to leave. I put on some runners and was about to leave the house, when I realise that Natalie and John would be looking for me. I make a split-second decision to run back upstairs to grab one of the notebooks left in my room and write a note. I try to make it long enough to convey how much they mean to me. I try to make it seem like I didn't take anything for granted.

Dear Natalie and John,

I just wanted to let you guys know, I love you so much and am proud to call you my parents when my biological ones abandoned me. You were the best thing to ever happen to me. I don't regret anything I did before I met you, as it made me the person you got to know. I'm running away as I am afraid. I am afraid of what I have become. I don't want to hurt you guys, you mean the world to me. But I'm afraid that if I stay, I will hurt you. Don't show this to anyone. If you do, they may think you're crazy. But I'm afraid of what has happened to me in the past day. I'm hearing voices and I just fainted outside in the back. I woke up and I tasted blood. I don't know what I did but it would kill me if I did anything to you. The voice in my head says I am a werewolf. Impossible right? I'm not so sure anymore. Please don't come after me. I will come back one day when I feel like I am safe around you.

Natalie and John. Mum and dad. Thank you for everything that you did for me, I feel like I will never be able to repay you for the life you were able to give me. I am so sorry that I have to do this. But I don't want to hurt you. Please forgive me one day.

Love, Ashley

PS. Please give Ali my note.

I decided to write another note for Ali. I can't leave her without telling her anything. She's also a sucker for this kind of stuff.

In that note I tell her everything that happened. What happened at school with that new kid. What happened on the walk back and how I don't want to hurt her. I never want to hurt her. I tell her that I will be back. I'm doing this to make sure she is safe. I tell her, I'm doing this to keep the ones I love safe and that this is the only way I know how to at this point.

The tears slide off my nose and blur some of the words. I can't believe that I am leaving.

I had thought that this would be the place for me to stay. My forever home. I've been here since I was 12. They were the family to take me in and believe that I could do good. They didn't get rid of me.

And now I am leaving them. Not even saying it to their faces. Just leaving.

I pick the note up off my desk and read it through once more. Fresh tears spill over my cheeks. I slowly go downstairs and put it on the island bench at the kitchen.

I pick up my packs and I am ready. Ready to leave this place once and for all. At least, until I think I am safe. But who knows how long that will be. I don't even know what I am.

I'm slowly leaving the front door. Delaying the inevitable.

'You're making the right choice.'

I shake my head. That voice is going to be the death of me.

'Can you stop calling me that voice? My names Aurora.' It growls into my head. Not it, Aurora.

'Thank you' she exclaims. The relief evident on her voice.

'Okay, I know you are panicking now. But what I need you to do is head over to the forest that is around 20km out of town. There I will take over, this time letting you see what I see, and I will lead you to where there should be a pack.' She says.

'How do you know that? Your just part of my mind aren't you' I ask in my head. This was going to take some getting used to.

'Everything will make sense once you find a pack.'

'Why do I have to find a pack?' Confusion lacing my voice.

'It's for the best, we won't survive without a pack.'

At that I take my chance to get a last glance at the place that has been my home for the past 5 years. I thought I wouldn't cry anymore, but the tear are still drying on my cheeks. My eyes water, the stinging sensation of holding back tears got to me. I let them go, like a waterfall, they fell. My nearly dry cheeks now wet again. I cry for the fact that I am leaving. I am saying goodbye to the place I called home.

I turn my back and walk down the road to school. The only forest was that way. I prepare myself for along walk. Long and lonely.

I walk down that solitary road and don't look back. Not once. 

A/N

So there may be some confusion about when Aurora is talking and when Ashley is thinking to herself. 

'this means Aurora'  (With the quotation marks)

This means she's thinking (No quotation marks but still italics.) 

Hope that will stop some confusion (If you are confused)

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and the book so far, I am having fun writing this. 

Oh and so you guys know, I'm highly inconsistent while updating. Like it might be two in one night, one a day, or I might not post for a month. There is pretty much no in between. And with school holidays up, I would like to assume I will be somewhat consistent. 

Doubtful though. 

Thanks for reading!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

584 111 58
Caleb, a 17-year-old boy, discovers that he is descended from shape-shifting dragons and wolves but is unaware of this fact. He leads a difficult hig...
66.8K 2.5K 31
Mia Kimberly Ashton is not very simple. Whether it be her clothes or the way she acts, she is not girly by any means. Her parents were killed when sh...
988K 37.3K 25
F/M/M Story - Kali Edridge looks like your every day, average all-American college student. But Kali has a secret. She's not like most people. She is...
1.9K 28 12
Somewhere in the north an army of Hybrids, a lethal combination of Shifter and Vampire, was being created. An army with an ability to shift between a...