The Devil In Me

Af elizpua

This is AU as the original family do not have any supernatural abilities, though that will not stop them from... Mere

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 21

1.1K 34 17
Af elizpua

.

"How are you feeling this morning, brother?" Elijah asked as he accepted tea at breakfast and looked over at his younger brother, slumped in his chair. Klaus gripped his head, pounding for lack of slept instead of too much drink for once. Caroline haunted his dreams and he found night the most unrestful time. Elijah, deciding that he was to receive no answer turned to his food.

"Have you decided when to depart? I am sure Caroline will be worried over your absence."

"I would not be too sure" Klaus muttered with a grim smile. Elijah caught the defeated expression on his face, and set his cup down.

"Niklaus, you know you are always welcome as my guest, however, I cannot condone this... this hiding from reality any longer. You must address the issues between Caroline and you, and resolve them. Do not forget brother, you promised to make her happy, and you are far from it presently." Elijah finished seeing Klaus clench his eyes shut, rubbing a hand over his face.

"As it is, I'm afraid I will not be home much longer to host you"

"Why? Where are you going?

"Europe, for the business. I leave tomorrow"

"And you did not think to tell me this before?" Klaus asked irritably

"I saw no need, I had assumed you would have found the courage to return home by now" Elijah said, raising an eyebrow at him, and hiding his smile as Klaus's eyes narrowed in annoyance.

"Niklaus, you cannot stay here, staring at walls and snapping at everyone, when there is a very real woman waiting for you at home."

"Again, you misinterpret. I am sure she is relishing each and every day without me."

"Well, that may be the case, but you will not know until you go home." Elijah said with a sense of finality and Klaus knew he was right. He had to return, and face his wife, for as long as she may continue to be so. But the longer he stayed away, prolonged the inevitable, the longer he could delude himself that all might be forgiven.

As he wiped his mouth a servant entered, carrying a message on a tray, he quickly passed it to Elijah.

"It is from Rebekah. Mrs Saltzman has been secluded for the birth of her child. It should come quickly from now." he surmised scanning the contents.

"You must return home, and escort Caroline to London. They are family to her." Elijah said firmly.

"Of course, I shall depart immediately" Klaus said, this mind already racing ahead to Caroline and her reaction, how long it would take them to reach the capital. A small voice whispered in his ear, that now, she would be going back to the city... with all it's temptations, he would have no chance to win her over in his isolated estate, where the deck was as stacked in his favour as it ever would be, as little as it seemed to be when it came to her. Yet, the more reasonable voice knew he must take her, and that Caroline would not want to miss such an important event for her family,and he could no longer be selfish with her.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Caroline had watched him go, tears falling, then she had got into bed, with her heartbreak and tears and slept for two days. Now, eating breakfast on the terrace, her eyes kept going to the stables and she quickly averted them, when she realised who she was waiting to see. She was tired of feeling sad and hiding in her room, if the servants had opinions about her and Klaus, they could keep them to themselves, she thought, as she investigated the estate and tried to make herself feel at home.

She visited the stables often, trying to build trust with Theia, who she had fallen in love with, unashamedly. As she stroked the delicate grey mare, she realised that she had never thanked Klaus for the horse. For choosing her, a horse so kind and patient. Maybe she would have the chance, if he ever came back, she though wryly. Often, she stopped in front of the other building, the one with a chimney and a large expanse of windows that was one the way to the stables. She realised it was the only place in the estate she had not been inside. Deciding to investigate finally, she tried the door and found it locked. Resigned, she turned back to the house, they had so many secrets, how could they ever start to unravel them.

.

.

.

.

.

.

After a morning of cajoling, Caroline had managed to get out of Sophie that there was a spare key for the building outside, that the housekeeper held on to. Her next mission, was to wheedle it out of her, though Caroline knew how seriously the woman took her responsibilities. She stated her case in the plainest and most appealing way she could, and waited to see if it would be enough.

"Milady, his Lordship does not like people entering his... private space." she said cryptically.

"Well, I am hardly any person, I am his wife." Caroline said with a forced smile, and felt embarrassed at the skeptical look the older woman gave her.

'It has been no secret that my husband and I are struggling to find common ground... please, I think that only by eliminating the secrets between us can be truly begin." Caroline urges softly, and she saw the housekeeper's eyes soften a touch.

"Is it not better to simply wait until he returns? And you may explore it together?"

Caroline shook her head, frustrated, unsure how much to share with this woman, yet terribly lonely and in desperate need of an ally.

"He... he does not share... willingly" she said haltingly, and the woman's eyes became more understanding. She reached for the keys at her waist.

"If his Lordship finds out-"

"Nothing will happen, do not worry. I am practically forcing you. And besides, I have more of a say in staff and household matters than he." Caroline said confidently grasping the key she held out, barely containing her smile. The housekeeper smiled back, at the brave young woman before her, treading so determinedly into such dark waters.

"I am very happy that you are in his Lordships life, Milady, he has been waiting for you, a very long time, I dare say." she said and took Caroline's thanks and watched her skip off toward the building by the stables.

Feeling triumphant, she reached the door, and inserted the key. The wind had picked up, and her dress blew around, lifting and falling in the harsh breeze. She cast her eyes over to the valley and saw dark storm clouds gathering there. Turning back to the door, she gently turned the key, her heart suddenly pounding in nerves of what might be found there and pushed it open and stepped inside.

The room was warm and dry, and smelled of oils. The whole space was clearly dedicated to art, and she gasped as she saw a whole wall covered in oil paintings. They were breathtaking, capturing the valley and it's abundant beauty perfectly. They were from different seasons, different weathers, a wide array showcasing all the times he had stood by these windows and spread his talent over a canvas. She ran her hands over them, the oil brush strokes under her fingertips, making the same lines he had. She continued around the room, seeing yet more picture, stacked against a wall.

Feeling slightly like an intruder she went to them, and tried to look through them. They were portraits, some of them, and she gasped at the fine detail he had caught his siblings in. There a niggling feeling as she looked through them, one after another, so very many, and she suddenly realised what it was... he was not in any of them. Perhaps it was not so strange that an artist not paint themselves, but some were clearly family portraits, with his mother in, Mikael, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol and Finn, Caroline guessed. But he was nowhere. She frowned, continuing on through the hue pile, leant against the wall.

Finally she came across one of him, he had captured himself honestly, without a hint of flattery, if anything, a little depreciatingly, as though he could not see what other did when they looked at him. There was something else about it that disturbed her. Where his sister and brothers were surrounded in light, their eyes warm and alive, sunshine falling on them, his picture was dark. His eyes like those of a dead man, and all around him, a void, so dark and lonely, she shivered as she looked away. This was how he saw himself. This is what awaited him in his mind. Not part of his family, something that belonged in the dark, alone. Sitting back, Caroline pressed her hands over her mouth, before moving them up and covering her eyes with them. Her heart felt heavy and seemed to beat at a sluggish pace. It upset her, to see through his eyes, to witness such self-hatred. She could not pretend that knowing Klaus felt like that, that seeing him, his pain on canvas, was not upsetting.

Shakily, she stood, understanding more now, his desire for privacy in his studio. She checked that nothing was disturbed and turned toward the last easel she had not already seen. On it, a simple charcoal sketch, of her. It surprised her, though she did not know why, seeing as they had been here over a week by now, and he had had more free time than other men on their honeymoon. It was simple and beautiful, and she looked closely at her hair and realised it must he her wedding day. Sketched from memory, it included every twist of her hair, every fall of curl and placement of pin. He had been remembering that day, in here, alone, and recreating the Caroline that had smiled at him, taken strength from him, and agreed to be his wife. He had given her the space since then, the space that she had asked for.

A thought struck her then, and she genuinely wondered at it. He had given her what she needed, wanted. But, now, in his absence, standing in his quiet studio, she began to see the things he had needed from her, that she had withheld. It had hardly occurred to her, hardly been allowed to... that he needed something more than simply her acceptance and presence... that he needed her company, a companion against the darkness... if she could be it.

She slipped from the studio, and locked the door behind her. A wave of raindrops swept up the garden and she went quickly back to the house, the weather was not welcoming and closed the door to the main house, glad for the warmth and protection it gave.

She sent instructions for a light dinner to be brought to her room, and told the servants she would retire early, knowing how it was a relief for them to have time to themselves.

A while later, as she turned in bed, seeing the rain fall harder, she struggled to sleep. This type of weather always unsettled her and she watched the rain fall on the moonlit hills. Suddenly, a clicking sound came from the door, and she sat upright in surprise. It swung open, and she could she a familiar curly head outlined in the dark. She held the blanket to her and watched him with wide eyes as he slowly entered the room. Her heart started to beat faster and faster still. He had returned. And she had not realised until this very moment, how afraid she had been that he wouldn't.

"Klaus?" she said, hesitantly, seeing him pause in the dark.

"Caroline? I had thought you would be asleep" he murmured and the familiar sound of his low, gravelly voice sent shivers up her arms.

"The storm... I could not" she explain, shifting back on the bed, she silently invited him to sit.

He came over, and perched on the edge, and she could feel his heat, the smell of the storm on him.

"You came back..." she whispered, softly and say whim nod wordlessly.

"Does it disappoint you?" he asked, with characteristic sarcasm, but in the dark, his quiet words seemed too sad to bear.

"It is your house, is it not?" she said lightly and saw him turn his head away from her, staring into the darkness.

"Ours" she heard, so softly, she doubted if she had imagined it or not.

"I had thought to wait until morning, but I have news of Jenna Saltzman. She is ready to deliver her child. I have returned to escort you to London, so be there with the Pierces, if you wish." he said, standing up. Caroline leapt up to follow.

"I do wish! I wish to go at once... a baby..." she said, and Klaus could hear the smile in her voice as she said it. Caroline went to the window and looked out.

"I do not suppose we could leave tonight... with the hour and the storm" she said, disappointed. Klaus resisted the urge to come up behind her and put his arms around her. He had missed her so much, seeing her again, being near her, it was difficult to concentrate on anything else.

"I came in Elijah's carriage, I just arrived, the roads were passable. I do not see the storm getting much worse." he said, and was rewarded by her smile as she turned around, as excited as a child on their birthday.

"Then, we may leave tonight?"

"We may leave now, if you wish..."

"I do" she said, already turning to the candle and lighting it, thinking how to pack as quickly as possible. As she started hurrying around the room, throwing open a case she realised Klaus was still standing there. She looked at him questioningly, he looked as though he were about to speak, but at her glance, he turned on his heel and went to pack his own belongings. Caroline grew more and more excited as she packed her trunk, placing in dresses on top of the gifts her friends had given her for the wedding, hoping for inspiration, thinking that she must find something to give Jenna and the little one when they arrived. Next, she shimmied into her drawers and chemise and pulled a thick travelling dress on, and sturdy boots.

Klaus clearing his throat from the doorway indicated that he was ready, and he came and picked up her case. They went downstairs together, quietly, and Klaus explained everything to the footman who had opened the door at the late hour. He took the cases, and started to attach them to the roof of the carriage as Caroline and Klaus climbed inside. The interior was damp and cool, and the rain seemed to be lessening as they started forward into the night. Caroline caught Klaus's eye, but he seemed preoccupied and looked away, grim-faced out of the window as they went.

Feeling a yawn threaten, Caroline let her eyes close and the motion of the swaying carriage to take her to sleep for the first time that night, oddly feeling safe and protected for the first time in days... her mind straying to the man opposite her for a moment, before shying away from the realisation that it was him, he made her feel safe and she closed her eyes and slept.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

The carriage rocked, and a deafening roar of thunder boomed, directly over their heads. Caroline sat up in alarm, as the seat shuddered under her. She was disorientated and confused for a moment, and then remembered, Jenna and the baby, they were going to London. She saw Klaus twisting around in front of her, pulling back the curtains and looking into the wild night, his face serious.

"What's happening?" Caroline asked.

"We are caught in the storm. I do not recognise this road, the driver must have had to detour." he muttered, as he pulled the curtains back and turned to her. He took in her scared expression, and tight features, and took her hands. Sitting across from her, holding her hands tightly, he squeezed them until she looked at him.

"I thought the storm was passing?" she asked

"Unfortunately, I may have underestimated it's strength." Caroline nodded, biting her lip, trying to silence her gasp as they hit a hole in the road and dipped dangerously.

"Caroline, everything will be well, I will take care of you." But Caroline saw the worry in his eyes. She went to reply, and suddenly, so quickly, she wasn't able to comprehend it, the carriage was flying, a loud rumbling noise, layered with a high screech filled the air. She was suspended, her body flying out the seat. She tried to grip onto Klaus's hands, but they were gone, his body going backwards, away from hers. It all happened in an instant, and then they were rolling, and rolling. The carriage picking up sped as it tumbled. She could not stop herself from falling with it, bumping and bashing against the walls of the carriage, until she hit the door, feeling it open beneath her, the last thing she felt was the stinging shock of cold water surrounding her body, covering her head, and the utter blackness that enveloped her.

Klaus came to as the freezing rain whipped his face. Groaning he turned over, finding himself face down, half way down a steep embankment, where he could just make out the road above, or what had been the road. Now, all that remained was the mud and rubble of a landslide.

Realising he could not see the carriage, he tried to pull himself up, the sharp shale and rocks digging into his flesh as he twisted around. It was dark, with barely a hint of moon to help. The storm was so loud, he could not hear anything else. Suddenly, a jagged bolt of lightening illuminated the destroyed landscape and he spied the carriage. It was lying some distance off, at the bottom of the embankment, half in, half out of a rapidly swelling river. The horses were churning at the ground, still tied, their harnesses broken and twisted, he could see no one else. Pushing himself to his feet, and ignoring the sharp pain in his body he staggered toward the carriage, sliding down the rest of the shale slope. He could hardly breath, his heart was pounding so loudly.

"Caroline" it beat, again and again... like a war drum. He struggled on. He had to find her. Reaching the carriage he tried to open on of the door, finding it pinned against the ground. He climbed up the wrecked box, and flung open the other door. Empty. Panic clutched at him as he fell back to the ground. Where had she gone? Another flash of lightening illuminated the scene and he searched desperately for some sign of her. There was nothing. Turning back to the carriage, he waded into the river, meaning to go around the other side and look there. Even in the relative shallows, he could feel the strong undercurrents grabbing at his legs. Reaching the other side, he looked for her, in vain, there was no sign.

"Caroline!" he started shouting, against the wind, again and again and once more, his throat raw and ragged. A flash of lightening lit the river, and suddenly, from the corner of his eye, he saw a something pale, too pale to belong to this dark night. Turning toward it, he saw a place in the water, where trees and rocks had fallen, created a sort of dam, and snagged against it, a ghostly white shape. Without further thought he dove into the icy water, heading toward it as fast as he could. The water stinging his multiple cuts and abrasions, he felt nothing as he pushed on, letting the powerful flow carry him forward.

Approaching the fallen tree, he had no way of slowing his momentum, and gritting his teeth, he slammed hard into the temporary barrier, feeling his breath whoosh out, for once glad of the cold numbing effects of the frozen water. Pulling himself along, he was finally close enough to reach out to Caroline. She was floating, pushed against the barrier by the water, her white dress and corsets dragging her down. Thankfully her face was managing to stay above the tide. He reached her, and pulled her body to his, tilting her face back, making sure she had air. She was unresponsive in his arms, and he tasted blood in his mouth as he clenched his teeth. He began trying to bring them toward the shore, but her dress skirts were trapping the current, pulling her away from him. His hands went to his boot, supporting her with his other arm, and still leaning against the barrier, he finally found his knife. Turning Caroline around, carefully slid the knife down the back of her heavy travelling gown, lacerating the back and sleeves, any fabric he could until the heavy weight suddenly dropped away and she bobbed in his arms. Thrusting his knife back in his boot, he started towing them toward the shore. It seemed so far, as the river worked against them and debris hit them, pushing them back to the dam, time and time again.

But Klaus fought back, his head down, using all his strength, they began to gain ground. Suddenly, he felt rocks under his feet and then he was making his way into the shallows of the river. Holding Caroline carefully, he laid her down as soon as he cleared the river bank and immediately thrust his fingers into her mouth, check for obstructions. Lowering his head, he listened, his hands on her chest, and felt relief echo through him as he heard the faintest breath. She was breathing, she was alive, for now, he reminded himself grimly as he picked her up and started further up the shore. Reaching the carriage again, he carefully laid her down and went to search for the driver.

It wasn't long before he came across him, his skull dashed on the rocks. Swallowing, Klaus turned away, going to the horses, the horror of the night making him shake with guilt. Taking his knife, he sawed through the leather ropes and knots holding the terrified creatures and saw with relief that neither seemed to be too hurt. Once free, they took off along the river bank in a flash, and Klaus turned back toward Caroline. Running to her side, he noted how she seemed to have gotten even paler, her face a porcelain mask, her lips tinged blue. He stood, running along the shale, grabbed at bags and cases that had fallen off. Slinging them across his body, and praying there would be something warm for Caroline inside, he reached down and picked her up. She murmured against his chest and his heart contracted painfully at the mewling sound.

He started up the embankment, his load threatening to topple him backward at every second. Dropping to his knees more than once, as fresh mud and rock slide down ways he battled up, and finally, reached the road. The road was barely discernible, and he pushed on across it, wanting to get out of the exposed areas, where more landslides were a genuine possibility and into more sheltered areas. The rain continued to lash down on them, as he started through the forest near the road. Here the trees were pack tightly together, big, old trees, with deep roots and the foliage provided a little protection from the rain. He trudged on, upward, into the trees. He wasn't sure how much time passed, if it had been long, or just felt long, but finally, at the corner of his vision, he glimpsed something that was not swaying with the wind, that was stone, yet more. A hunter's cabin. He struggled toward it, the lightening flashing, showing him the structure, as he scrabbled over tree roots and fallen trunks, each step uphill feeling like a herculean feat.

Finally, he got close to the door, and went to push it open with his foot, to his relief, it swung inwards easily and he went into the dark interior of the the hut. Inside was cool and damp, and seemed like it hadn't been used in a while. There was a covering of dust over everything and it was really quite bare. But, it had a grate and chimney for a fire and a roof over their heads, everything else was unimportant. He spied a cot against the wall near the fire and he went to lay Caroline in it. Realising she was still wearing her clinging wet chemise and drawers, he sat her on the floor, and went to one of the bags he had salvaged.

The cabin was dark and he cursed as he fell over boxes and chairs. Locating the bag, he pulled it open and roughly yanked the garments out. He found a shirt of his, worn and thick, and a pair of breeches, and another shirt, this one soft. Turning back to her, he felt his way toward the cot and found she had fallen sideways against the cold ground. Gently pulling her up, he started to strip the cold, tight cotton off her limp body. He worked to get her arms out of the thin sleeves, feeling frustration overwhelm him, again reached for his knife. Carefully, he sliced the clothes clean though at each side, and pulled them away from her body. They peeled back slowly, having been pressed hard into her white skin, leaving marks behind. Her skin underneath was like marble, tinged a delicate blue, her fingers and lips the bluest of all. Panic once again surged through him, and he swayed for a moment, suddenly lightheaded.

Leaning against the wall, he gathered himself and pushed on. He picked her slight body up and gently laid her on the cot, and with the soft shirt, started to wipe the clinging river water from her skin. He scrubbed up and down her arms and legs, desperately trying to summon some colour into her dead skin. When she was dry, he slipped her arms through his heavy, warm shirt, lifting her gently to tug down the back and then slid the breeches up over her thighs, making sure they covered as much of her legs as possible. Going back to his bag, he found a heavy coat and now he covered her with it, pulling her wet hair up and off her skin, wrapping it in the shirt he'd used as a towel.

His mind was strangely empty during his ministrations, so focused was he. The adrenaline pumped through his veins, and he moved with ruthless efficiency. Next, he went to the fire, relieved beyond words that there remained dry wood in the basket beside it. He quickly set the fire, casting his mind back to years before, when Mikael had forced the boys to learn real skills. His lips twisted in an ironic smile as he kindled the fire, and felt elation at the sparks and smoke that grew, that he should feel grateful to Mikael for something... he had never expected that.

A noise from the cot broke through his concentration, and at an instant he was at Caroline's side. She was murmuring again, her eyes fluttering, her teeth chattering.

"So cold" she gasped, her eyes clenching shut, her forehead wrinkled. He stroked her face, checking that she was fully covered.

"Rest Caroline, you will be warm soon." he murmured, about to stand up, when she suddenly opened her eyes and caught him in her clear blue stare.

"Do not leave me again" she pleaded, and he felt his heart break a little, that she would think him capable of leaving her, perhaps that she had suspected he would not come back to her... as though he had any choice, as though his fate to remain beside her, as her husband or her shadow had not been decided almost from the first moment she had bestowed smile on him. He gripped her hand hard and her eyes widened.

"Caroline, I am here, and I am not leaving." he said, his voice determined, and she slowly let her eyes close again, shuddering with chill again.

He stood, about to go back to the fire, when he swayed again, his head dizzy and his knees suddenly felt knelt before the fire, and took a deep breath.

Outside the wind and rain were lashing the cabin, and lightening and thunder punctuation marks of the storm. But for now they were safe, and Caroline was getting warm. The orange firelight was growing around the room, and he could see her, bundled up, warming slowly.

He went to stand, and found he couldn't. Looking down in confusion, he realised his own clothes were still soaking wet. He began to strip of his shirt and breeches, his boots already long abandoned on the embankment. As he carelessly pulled his shirt off, he groaned as it stick fast to his abdomen, and came away painfully, glancing down, he felt his blood run cold as he saw his shirt, with a seeping dark stain marring the whole left side.

Dropping the shirt, he leaned down to see the wound. Another wave of dizziness came over him and he looked to the ground, realising that he had actually left a trail of blood around the cabin, a lot of blood. Clenching his fists, he steeled himself and looked at his stomach. It was hard to comprehend at first, the dripping blood, and jagged hole, speared through by something black and twisted. He gingerly lowered his hand to it and hissed as touching it drew more blood.

It was a tree branch, probably from when he smacked against the barrier in the water. It was embedded in him, and he had no idea how deep, but he was losing blood, too much that was clear. He couldn't leave it in there, but he feared pulling it out, incase more blood fell. Touching around the wound, he tried to get an idea of how deep it was. He swayed again, falling back off his knees. The impact jolting the branch and he cursed.

"Klaus - " a quiet voice came from the cot, and he turned to see Caroline sleeping fitfully, still shivering. Caroline needed him, he had to make haste. Turning back around, reaching for his knife, he bit carefully down on the wooden hilt, and then, bracing himself against the fireplace, without another thought, ripped the branch free.

As it came out, he sagged forward, feeling his blood fall on the floor, a wave of breathlessness washing through him. He looked down, but couldn't see anything, it was dark and the wound was not easily visible, sitting just below his ribcage.

He rose, holding onto the walls and chairs as he went. He took the soft shirt he had dried Caroline with and wrapped it around his middle. He groaned as he pulled it tight against the wound, stemming the dripping blood. Feeling the heavy pull of oblivion tugging at him, he staggered to the cot, falling on it's edge. Lifting his legs, he turned toward Caroline with the last of his strength, and pulled her tight against his chest, he held her there, clasping her back tightly to him, their bodies moulded together as one, his eyelids dropped shut, he hoped that any warmth he had, would be hers.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

88.7K 3.2K 45
| Ranked#1 | Caroline's life takes a big turn when she meets a killer vampire and ends up being in the middle of the Mikealson Family. Highly scrutin...
59.1K 1.9K 35
"It's you. It's always been you." . . . Caroline has always been living under a strict household. Her mom expects the best out of her meaning a brigh...
85.4K 2.7K 33
Klaus is the CEO of Mikaelson Enterprises. Klaus's visa is about to expire unless he can find a way around it. That's where his assistant Caroline co...
17K 740 31
AU starting at Caroline's Birthday. Klaus saves Caroline to get his plans in motion. She was supposed to be nothing but a means to an end. But someth...