The Devil In Me

By elizpua

This is AU as the original family do not have any supernatural abilities, though that will not stop them from... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 5

1.7K 59 37
By elizpua

A couple of days after the dinner party, Caroline was busy with lessons, and helping Katherine and Elena with their homework when Isobel came to the door of the parlour.

"Caroline, there is a gentleman here for you." she said, almost disguising her surprise. Caroline looked at her blankly, her mind unable to come up with one face who it might be, but one she terribly hoped it was not.

"Did you hear me! You have a caller! Elena, Katherine and I shall keep him occupied whilst you... fix yourself up" she said, waving her hand in the general direction of Caroline's hair. Jumping up, Katherine rushed through, with Elena a close second, and Caroline stole upstairs to make herself more presentable.

Slipping into her nicest day dress, and pulling her hair back, she wondered who it could be. Ready in only a few minutes, she went back to the drawing room.

Stepping inside the door, her heart pounded for a moment at the view of muscular legs by the fireplace, then raising her eyes, she found herself in the warm, embracing smile of Tyler Lockwood.

"Miss Forbes! I am relieved to see you so recovered" he said smoothly, moving toward her and kissing her hand.

"Mr Lockwood! Such European manners" Isobel purred, weighing up his prospects. She knew his family of course, and knew they had considerable pull in society circles here, not to mention an extremely profitable business that passed to the first son, which Tyler was.

"Well, I have been travelling extensively, though I am more glad than ever that I managed to return to London for the season" his eyes captured Caroline's as he spoke. Katherine gave a little cough to break the silence, and everyone laughed a little nervously.

"Have you been enjoying this season in particular then, Mr Lockwood?" Isobel asked leadingly, causing Caroline's cheeks to flush a little with her insinuation. Tyler simply smiled confidently.

"Well, it started well, sadly though, I have been deprived of my dance partner for a few weeks" he said.

Isobel watched with satisfaction. Mr Lockwood's obvious interest was promising indeed.

"On that note, I was hoping Miss Forbes would accompany me to the opera tomorrow night." he stated calmly, unaware of the looks that passed around the girls faces at the request.

"Ah, I am sure Caroline would love to accept, however, we have already agreed to go with the Mikaelsons, and Caroline could not possibly accompany you unchaperoned."

"I had planned for us to sit with my parents in our box. I believe it is right across from the Mikaelsons, the Salvatores are also joining us." Tyler said smoothly,

"Perhaps we could pick her up in our family carriage, and I assure you, my parents would not let her out of their sight." he smiled winningly, seeing the indecision on Isobel's face.

"Anyway, you'll practically be able to see into our box." he said, watching as Isobel made up her mind.

"In that case, I think I might be willing to make an exception." she said

"What! You'd never allow me to go out unchaperoned" Katherine pouted.

"Dear, this is a completely different case, as Mr Lockwood has illustrated." Isobel said pointedly.

"Well, I'm really looking forward to it." Tyler said, making to leave, sending the girls all rushing to their feet.

"Mrs Pierce, Miss Elena, Miss Katherine, it's wonderful to see you again, and I no doubt shall repeat the pleasure tomorrow at the Opera. Miss Forbes, I wait in anticipation of the morrow. And at the risk of sounding too bold, I hope to see you in blue, blue with gold would suit you perfectly" he smiled, his white teeth shining against his tanned skin.

He left with jaunty bow, whistling as he strolled out onto the busy London street, leaving the girls giggling behind him.

"Caroline! He is your admirer, how wonderful" Elena said happily, squeezing her shoulders.

"Yes, he is rather handsome isn't he. I do love dark good looks on a man." Katherine commented, as she peaked out at the street and Tyler's departing back.

"How fortunate you didn't wear the dress the other night! Now it will be the first time, with the man who gave it to you. How romantic" sighed Elena.

"I spy the Salvatores! I wonder that they did not tell us of his intentions sooner, for surely they must have known. Did you know they were coming to visit today?" Katherine said from the window, glancing at Elena and seeing the telltale flush on her cheeks.
"Of course not" she said weakly, sitting down and arranging her dress. Caroline caught Katherine's eye and shrugged helplessly, sitting beside her. Feeling her emotions swirl inside her, flattered by the attention of Tyler, she tried to imagine going to the opera with was her admirer. She wasn't sure how she felt about that, seeing as they had so far had an extremely brief acquaintance. Putting aside her unsettling thoughts, she smiled a little in anticipation of an exciting night, where her company had been actually been requested.

"Caroline, I do believe he is going to sweep you off your feet." Katherine sighed, falling back dramatically against the armchair.

"I agree, first the gift, now the opera. He has set his hat at you!" Elena exclaimed, much cheerier now they could hear the Salvatores ringing the bell.

"But, we have not asked Caroline what she thinks of the man. If you do not find him charming, then I doubt much foot sweeping will occur." Katherine pressed, gazing at Caroline for her reaction, her face in her hands.

"I find him... very pleasant indeed" Caroline said with a smile.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Covent garden was a writhing mass of humanity the night of the opera, carriages filled the streets, lamps flickering over cloaks concealing fine jewels, and music was already filling the square as they arrived,

His parents guided them toward their private box, introducing her to people as she went. They were warm and kind with her, and she liked them instantly. She settled, and stretched to see if she could spot her sisters. Laughing with surprise, she saw they were indeed extremely close, and she could see Katherine waving at her, and then laughing as Elijah said something to her. She could see Rebekah sitting with Kol, and received a tentative smile from the blonde, and a grin from the latter. Waving back, she then looked down at the stage and the pit, soaking it all in. Tyler was conversing with his father, and Mrs Lockwood started to reminisce about home, and Caroline joined her. Damon and Stefan entered and Caroline soon found herself between Tyler and Stefan. She spoke with them both, and the only hamper on her happiness, was the tightening of Stefan's hands in his lap, when they saw Elena enter the opposite box with Klaus. Elena was pale, with a bright smile affixed to her lips, but her eyes were lost. Klaus, on his best behaviour escorted her in, and allowed her to sit next to Katherine, leaving himself alone at the end. Settling back in the chair, his eyes roamed over the hall, and Caroline felt an immediate jolt when his eyes found hers. Surprised, she quickly looked away, and spoke to Stefan who had fallen silent.

"Do you know much of this opera? Acis and Galatea." she asked, and watched sadly as he tore his eyes from Elena and looked to her.

"I'm afraid not... I know it is about love, and that is all. I am quite the fool, in matters of the heart, so I'm afraid I cannot give you any guidance about it's worth." he said, and Caroline's heart went out to him. He was clearly in anguish, to the point that she wondered why he had come, and put himself through it. Flipping open her programme she skimmed through the description.

"Well, apparently, Galatea is a fantastical creature, who is in love with the shepherd Acis. They are very much in love, and live in a rural setting, happily together. Polyphemus is an evil demon, a devil, who is in love with Galatea. He will try to destroy their happiness." she said, turning back to Stefan.

"Does that not sound entertaining and dramatic."

"I prefer stories that do not so closely echo the tragedy of real life" Stefan said, and Caroline's could bare it no more. Reaching out she put her hand on Stefan's, until he looked up at her through pained eyes.

"Dear friend. I believe you do know of matters of the heart, and now you are receiving the cruelest education. But, you must forebear. For yourself... and for her too. She will need you as a friend, her trials... have not yet begun." Stefan's hand clenched in a fist beneath hers.

"If he hurts her... I swear -"

"Hush. Do not let us talk of hurt, when we have no cause. She is braver than she looks, maybe even braver than she yet knows." Caroline soothed, as she heard the bell ring for the beginning, and saw people start to settle in their seats. Once all was quiet, the sweet strains of the orchestra warming up filled the air and she relaxed and started to enjoy the wonderful experience. She determined not to look at the Mikaelson's box, and to concentrate on the opera.

As the first act started and went on, she found herself utterly captivated by the characters, the songs and dances, even the costumes. Laughing at the jokes, and blinking back tears at the love songs, she felt a hundred emotions in that short time and when the interval came, she was ready for a rest. She decided to stay with Mrs Lockwood, who was not inclined to go out into the mob. The Salvatores and Tyler joined the throngs of people collecting outside, as they offered to brave the crowd to fetch refreshments. As she fell once again into easy conversation with Mrs Lockwood, a knock on the private door of the box surprised them. As it opened, she was happy to see it reveal Rebekah and Kol on the other side.

"Rebekah! How lovely to see you. I didn't know you were coming tonight." she said

"I decided to come and keep you company, before you made other plans" she joked, and looked around.

Remembering her manners, Caroline immediately introduced Mrs Lockwood to the Mikaelson siblings.

"Where has Mr Lockwood gone to? I must have a word with him about leaving me all alone with my brothers, by stealing my friend." Rebekah said lightly and Caroline laughed.

"Why, Lady Rebekah, we have a spare seat. Why don't you sit with us for the second act? I am sure Caroline is awfully bored, surrounded by men there." she said politely, Rebekah hesitated, looking to Kol,

"Why I think that sounds like a splendid idea" Kol said, helping his sister into the chair previously occupied by Stefan. He said down on the other side of Caroline and she felt her heart lighten again in their company. As Rebekah engaged Mrs Lockwood in conversation, Kol turned to Caroline with a slightly serious look on his face.

"Miss Forbes, or... may I call you Caroline outside of company? I feel we are too good friends to go by titles, I am just Kol from now on." Caroline smiled even brighter, grateful that her affection for the siblings was reciprocated.

"Of course." she replied.

"And as your friend, there is something I should dearly like to ask you."

"Please, by all means..." Caroline said, watching as his face became a little nervous.

"I -" he broke of, his hands twisting a little and Caroline suddenly realised how anxious he was.

"Kol... you need not worry about what you say to me, it shall be in the strictest confidence." she promised and watched as his hands went to his waistcoat, and pulled out a thick letter, written on creamy parchment, sealed with his family crest on a glob of red wax. Debating with himself, he finally handed it to her, then collapsed back in the seat as though exhausted. Without speaking, Caroline turned the letter over, seeing an elegant script – Miss Bennet – it read. Feeling a slight thrill of shock go through her, Caroline suddenly realised the importance of this letter to her friend, as he looked at her intently, waiting for her reaction. Smiling at him reassuringly, she opened her bag and slipped it inside,

"I promise she shall get it." she said, perching beside him on the seat. As the silence played out, she glanced his face,

"Do you wish to talk of it?" she asked gently, and he shook his head slowly.

"No. Giving her the letter... it is enough. Thank you Caroline." he said, and she saw such a bittersweet smile on his face.

Below a bell started to ring, signalling the end of the interval and Kol stood up.

"Ladies, thank you for the refreshing company. I shall collect you after the performance sister." he said, leaving the box, meeting Damon and Tyler as the returned with drinks.

Damon sat next to Rebekah and Tyler beside Caroline, the lights already dimming as she twisted back around to the door.

"Where is Stefan?" she whispered to Damon, watched as his lips tilted downward.

"He decided opera is not his to his tastes, he went home." Damon said, shrugging. She sighed and turned her attention to the stages, where melancholic notes, and minor keys were preparing the audience for the destruction of Acis and Galatea's innocent love.

The blue dress fell perfectly over her slender form, and made the blue of her eyes glow. Her smile, so carefree and wide, pulled at him, and he longed for it to be directed at him. Like a child, begging for attention, he moved distractingly in his chair, causing Elena to look to him in askance. Stilling as the lights fell, he realised he would see not one moment of the opera, nor hear one note of song, when such brilliance sparkled in the darkness across from him.

She had barely glanced at him all evening. Only that first moment when their eyes met, and she had looked away immediately, and spoken intently with the youngest Salvatore. Now, she smiled and whispered with Tyler Lockwood, who had moved his arm over the back of her chair. Klaus glanced angrily at Mr and Mrs Lockwood, cursing their lax chaperoning skills.

"A dress like that does not come cheap, no indeed. I dare say it is the most expensive item Caroline has in her possession now." Isobel's grating voice filtered through his black mood, and he paid more attention at Caroline's name.

"And don't forget the colours ma'ma, he must have spent a good deal of time looking at her, to appreciate which hues would match her so beautifully" Elena murmured back.

What were those idiot women talking about, he wondered, as he suddenly saw Caroline's dress in a new light. A new dress... someone had chosen for her, a man. Tyler Lockwood had presented her a gift and now she was wearing it. It was like a punch to the stomach. He felt a wild sense of possession, that he couldn't remember ever feeling for a person before. He felt like Tyler Lockwood had personally insulted him, though he knew it was absurd. Taking a deep breath, he scrubbed his hand over his face trying to dispel the thought of Caroline belonging to anyone but him and the simmering hot fury it poured through his veins. It was going to be a long night.

.

.

.

.

.

He barely remembered the rest of the opera. He now sat at a gambling table, and stared at the cards in front of him. He felt heavy with the whiskey he had been drowning his sorrows in all night, and his father words whirled in his mind, bringing with them the sense of horror he had been desperately trying to avoid.

"We need to talk about this blasted wedding." Mikael said shortly, barely glancing up.

"What about it?" he asked, his hands tightening on his knees, with the thought of the impending doom

"I am tired of waiting, I need their connections now. I want you to push forward with the date. You shall marry next month." he announced curtly, finally looking up to enjoy the scowl on Klaus's face.

"Next month? But, that is not enough time. We barely know each other. The Pierces will never agree."

"They already have. It is settled. Now, all that is left is for you to tell your sweet bride the news." Mikael said, with a laugh.

The queen of hearts came out the deck and Klaus stared at it blankly. The queen of hearts, it was like Caroline. To suddenly appear from the deck and make all the other cards he held worthless. Pushing his chair back, he swayed away from the table, and staggered in the direction of the exit.

God knows how much he had lost on the tables of late, he didn't bother counting.

No amount of money in the world could buy him what he wanted, and no sum could save him and Elena from the fate they were destined to share.

In the street a carriage brushed past him, and he swore as he pulled himself back from the road.

As he turned toward home, the streets swinging before him, he didn't notice the shadows detaching themselves from a dark lane and begin to follow him. In fact he had no idea he wasn't alone, until he came to a particularly dark street, where even the wind didn't howl. His alcohol consumption softened the first blow, and the second, and was undoubtedly the reason why he didn't even raise a fist in response or defence. He recognised the men, the ones he had saved Caroline from, and they weren't alone.

He rationalised that the drink must have made him too confused to defend himself, as he fell to the ground, and felt their vicious kicks vibrate through his body. Though, as he faced down his attackers, letting them do their worst, he realised he was almost welcoming their blows. It felt almost good to mirror his inner torment with outer pain, let his body reflect his ugly soul, his corrupt, hideous self.

As he lay there, long after the beating had ceased, whilst his blood wept into the pavement, he realised he didn't want to be found. He didn't want to move, didn't want to be helped. He looked up at the stars, so brilliant against their velvet background. He remembered the night in the maze, with Caroline and how she had smiled at him as he recited Blake's sweet words. Maybe if he hadn't scared her, maybe he would have had a chance, a real chance, maybe she would have permitted herself to consider him. Maybe if she hadn't seen the real him so soon, if his mask hadn't slipped. Now, everything was lost, so confused it could never be fixed. He was to marry, in four weeks. The news made his limbs fell heavier still, so moving became almost an impossibility. He didn't want to move. He didn't want to marry Elena Gilbert.

He didn't want to wake to see the next dawn.

The realisation was startling, and somehow relieving. A deep sense of exhaustion overwhelmed him, and he let his eyes close, and felt his consciousness float away.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Lady Rebekah Mikaelson rose promptly each morning at 8 O'Clock. She washed, dressed in day clothes and took her breakfast with her father in the dining room. Sometimes her brothers joined them, though more than often not. She would read the society papers, whilst he read the news, and it was usually a very somber affair, with only the clinking of glasses and cutlery as company for the silence.

A couple of days had passed since the attack on her brother, and she hated that she could do no more for him than sit by his bedside and read to him, or talk to him if he woke. She knew he was not without enemies, but she had never seen him hurt by them before. It had been Elijah who pointed out the oddness of his injuries, in that no defensive marks had been made, and Rebekah had realised what that meant.

Her dearest brother, the most lost and damaged of all of them... had wanted to die. The news had hit her hard, and she still found herself thinking of it constantly.

This particular morning, as she prepared to sit in the drawing room, catching up on her correspondence and watching the window for callers, a knock at the door startled her. Rising, she watched as a servant came in, announcing calmly,

"You have a caller Milady, Mr Damon Salvatore." Rebekah frowned, unable to imagine what he could possibly be calling on her for. The servant settled into the corner, as a chaperon, and the man in question arrived at the door, smiling, his hat in his hands.

"Lady Mikaelson, how good of you to see me." he said stiffly, coming into the room.

"Mr Salvatore, what a pleasant surprise." she said smoothly, sitting, and watching him pace a little around the room. The silence drew out between them, as she waited for him to say something, instead he just looked increasingly agitated.

"May I enquire after the health of Lord Niklaus?" he asked.

"He recovers, slowly but the doctor does not think him in any further danger." she replied, and waited for him to speak further.

"Was there... something I can help you with?" she asked politely, sure that this wasn't exactly a social call, considering they'd barely spoken since their introduction.

Damon came to halt before the fire, and looked at her in the mirror above it. She waited expectantly.

"Do you care for your brothers?" he asked suddenly, and Rebekah's face reflected her bewilderment.

"Why, of course I do. They are my family." she said, leaning back a little as he spun around and faced her, his face animated.

"Exactly. And as such, you want them to be happy...?" he continued, looking quite searchingly into her eyes. She fought down her confusion at this bizarre line of questioning and retained her gentile facade.

"Yes, their happiness is of the upmost importance to me" her words set Damon's head nodding as he resumed his pacing in front of her.

"I believe that. I have seen you with them. They dote on you and you on them."

Abruptly he sat down. Looking into the fire he finally spoke.

"I love my brother. He is the youngest, so I suppose I would have always felt protective of him. But it is his character too. He is moral and honest and far better a man than I, I confess."

"How... lovely" Rebekah said, unsure of what was being required of her.

"But, you see. He is completely capable of ruining his life... of never being happy... just by sticking to his damn moral code, which I promise you, would make a nun weep" Rebekah laughed and then stilled as she felt Damon's piercing eyes on hers. He pinned her down with just a look, and she was caught in his stare.

"Lady Rebekah, I need your help..." he started and what began as a somewhat strange and brief social call, become something else entirely.

.

.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.4K 2.7K 33
Klaus is the CEO of Mikaelson Enterprises. Klaus's visa is about to expire unless he can find a way around it. That's where his assistant Caroline co...
5.4K 82 44
💕⚜Some things are best kept under wraps, locked away in the depths of the mind, never allowed to surface. But when the occurrences of the past begin...
278K 4.8K 21
Meet Alexandra Mikaelson, Daughter of Klaus Mikaelson,pretty,charming,sarcastic and a really strong original vampire-werewolf-witch. . Currently livi...
12.4K 454 55
The Seven Families of the supernatural world. The elite. The oldest. The originals. All settled down in New Orleans with control around the world. Al...