Headstrong

By wheeleregg

Amanda Potter was separated from her brother after that night. Growing up in a Pureblood family, she understa... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Author's Note
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Author's Note

Chapter 54

81 1 1
By wheeleregg

One day Harry informed Amanda that Sirius was in Hogsmeade and wanted to meet up.

She spat out her coffee in surprise.

"He's in Hogsmeade?" She spluttered. Harry nodded. "Well, I can't wait to see him again!"

"He better be safe. I'm gonna warn him to stop being so reckless." Amanda finished.

...

When the article about Hermione and her 'love interests' was released, Amanda collapsed into fits of giggles as she read it. Hermione, Ron and Harry were sitting with her for lunch near her favourite tree.

Amanda was quoting some of her favourite lines, causing the boys and Hermione to laugh as well. "She's seriously losing her touch." Amanda wiped tears from her eyes.

Harry explained how he had eavesdropped on Karkaroff and Severus talking, and was confused about what they were talking about. Amanda was confused, but asked about the rest of the lesson.

"There's no need to worry, Harry." She reassured him. "He won't use Veritaserum on you. He can't. He'll loose his career if he did, because it's illegal."

"Well that's reassuring." Ron said sarcastically.

...

On the day of the Hogsmeade trip, Amanda went by herself. She carried her satchel, and she went into a few stores before meeting Harry, Ron and Hermione to go and see Sirius.

When they turned past Dervish and Banges, going into a side street, they saw him in his dog form, carrying some newspapers in his mouth.

Amanda took the newspapers from him, placing it in her satchel, before the group followed the dog all the way up a mountain side through a narrow fissure in the rock until they had reached his hideout.

There they saw Buckbeak and Amanda tossed him a dead rat she had stolen from Care of Magical Creatures class.

As he turned back into human form, Amanda tossed him the newspapers as he called out hoarsely, "Chicken!"

Harry handed him the food he had brought. "Thanks," Sirius said, tearing into the meat. "I've been living off rats mostly. Can't steal too much food from Hogsmeade, I'd draw attention to myself."

He then turned to Amanda. "What did you bring?" He said suspiciously.

"Well," She said, opening up her satchel. "I've got Butterbeer, your favourite sweets and chocolates, lots and lots of food, a cooler to keep the food in, with ice packs that won't ever melt. Ooh, I also brought a spare change of clothes, some soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a late Christmas present."

"Wow." Sirius said, surprised. "Thank you so much, Amanda - you are a lifesaver. How did you even fit it all in your bag?"

"Undetectable Extension Charm." She said with a grin, before Harry started to get to business.

"What are you doing here, Sirius?"

"Fulfilling my duty as godfather," he said casually, finishing his chicken drumstick and slowly opening Amanda's present. "Don't worry about me, I'm pretending to be a lovable stray."

Amanda scoffed and he grinned.

"Really, I want to be on the spot. Your last letter...well, let's just say things are getting fishier. I've been stealing the paper every time someone throws one out - nice article about you, by the way Amanda - and by the looks of things, I'm not the only one who's getting worried."

He then finished opening his present with a grin. "Really, Amanda?" He said, holding up a box of dog biscuits.

Ron and Amanda chuckled while Hermione gave her a bemused look. Harry was getting frustrated.

"What if they catch you? What if you're seen?"

"You four and Dumbledore are the only ones round here who know I'm an Animagus-"

"What about Fred, George and Ginny?" Hermione questioned Amanda.

"They only know that he's Padfoot." Amanda explained.

The group started talking about Crouch, but her attention was grabbed again when they started to speak about Ludo Bagman.

"I don't know anything about Bagman, except that he used to be Beater for the Wimbourne Wasps," said Sirius. "What's he like?"

"He was put on trial once and found innocent." Amanda said thoughtfully.

"How did you know that?" Ron inquired.

"Francis used to work in the Wizengamot. He was at Bagman's trial. Apparently he was friends with a Death Eater that Karkaroff turned in, and he could have been giving information to the guy. It turns out he didn't know and was found innocent."

"He's OK." Harry said, "He keeps offering to help me with the Triwizard Tournament."

"Does he, now?" said Sirius, frowning. "I wonder why he'd do that?"

"Says he's taken a liking to me," said Harry.

Amanda scoffed. "Bagman likes to make a lot of bets. He's probably in danger of bankruptcy, and so made another bet on Harry winning the Tournament."

The others continued with their theories before Amanda said, "Bagman isn't smart enough to be a Death Eater. Trust me, he's not the one we should be looking at. What were you saying about Crouch?"

Sirius continued, before one bit of information stuck out. "Crouch had a son?"

Sirius nodded. "Hanging out with people who are definitely Death Eaters. Went to Azkaban. It was Crouch who sent him off. He died about a year after he was brought in. The Dementors buried him outside the fortress, I watched them do it."

Amanda was thinking. Something was tickling the back of her head, but she didn't know what. Then she stopped.

"Wait, did you say he snuck into Snape's office?"

Ron nodded. Amanda got up and started to pace. "I feel like I know something, but some sort of block is preventing me from reaching the information."

"So you think Snape could be up to something, then?" asked Harry, but Hermione broke in.

"Look, I don't care what you say, Dumbledore trusts Snape-"

"Oh, come off it, Hermione," said Ron impatiently, "I know Dumbledore's brilliant and everything, but that doesn't mean a really clever Dark wizard couldn't fool him-"

"Why did Snape save Harry's life in the first year, then? Why didn't he just let him die?"

"There's a reason for that." Amanda but in, causing Sirius to give her a look of warning. "It wasn't just because he owes Dad his life."

"What do you mean?" Harry asked.

"He used to be friends with-"

"Snape knew more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in seventh year." Sirius cut Amanda off. "He was part of a gang of Slytherins who nearly all turned out to be Death Eaters."

He held up his fingers, and began ticking off names. "Rosier and Wilkes - they were both killed by Aurors the year before Voldemort fell. The Lestranges - they're a married couple - they're in Azkaban. Avery - from what I've heard he wormed his way out of trouble by saying he'd been acting under the Imperius Curse - he's still at large. But as far as I know, Snape was never accused of being a Death Eater - not that it means much. Plenty of them were never caught."

Amanda rolled her eyes and kept pacing, racking her brain.

"Wasn't Wisteria Snape's cousin?" Amanda she then asked with a grin. Sirius scowled.

"Don't remind me."

"Who's Wisteria?" Harry asked.

"Wisteria is our Godmother - Sirius' old girlfriend."

Harry, Ron and Hermione looked at Sirius. "You have a girlfriend? What's she like?"

"She disappeared shortly after Amanda was born. Amanda never met her. Wisteria saw Amanda once, while Amanda was sleeping. She was a wonderful woman. She was a Ravenclaw, and a Seer. I first met her when she was talking to Snape, and me and the guys decided that we would rescue her from Snape. It was only later that we found that she was a relative."

Later in the day Sirius led them back to Hogsmeade so the four of them could walk back to Hogwarts. Amanda knelt down next to Sirius before they went and whispered, "Stay safe, and have a wash. You kinda smell."

Sirius gave Amanda a doggy grin, and they departed.

...

Two days after at breakfast, Amanda looked over to her brother to see Hermione be surrounded by a cluster of owls, all trying to deliver mail.

She grinned and walked over. "Since when do you get this many owls, Hermione?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and started to open the envelopes. Amanda looked over the envelopes, and as Hermione went to open one, Amanda called out, "Don't touch that!"

"Why not?" Hermione asked.

"It's got undiluted Bubotuber pus!" Amanda explained.

"Really?" Hermione inquired.

Amanda smiled and casting a charm around the envelope, and when she opened it, the pus oozed out. "I get mail like this every now and again. I generally either ignore it, or use it as fire starters." She smiled good-naturedly.

Hermione stared at the envelope. "Thanks Amanda. You saved me a lot of hurt."

"What are friends for?" She grinned. "Can I take this?"

"Why?" Harry asked.

"Pranking materials." Amanda's eyes sparkled.

...

When the Easter chocolates came around from Mrs Weasley, Amanda, Harry and the others got massive chocolate eggs, filled with homemade toffee, while Hermione's was smaller than a chicken's egg.

Hermione's face fell.

"Your mum doesn't happen to read Witch Weekly, does she Ron?" She asked.

"Yeah she does." Ron said, eating toffee. "Gets it for the recipes."

Hermione looked sadly at her egg.

Amanda wrapped her in a hug. "It's okay, Hermione, you can share with me."

Hermione brightened a little.

"And by the way, Harry may be on to something with bugging." Amanda winked, grabbed her satchel, and went off to class.

...

In the last week of May, Professor McGonagall told Amanda that the Champions would be meeting at the Quidditch pitch to be told instructions for the Third Task.

So at the allotted time, Amanda met with Harry and together they walked to the Quidditch pitch.

"What've they done to it?" Amanda said indignantly.

The pitch was no longer smooth and flat.

"They're hedges!" Harry said, bending down to examine the closest one.

"Hello there!" called a cheery voice. Amanda rolled her eyes and Harry chuckled softly.

Bagman was striding up the pitch with Viktor and Fleur. Harry and Amanda made their way towards them, climbing over hedges to do so.

Amanda and Fleur bumped cheeks before she turned to shake Viktor's hand in greeting.

"Well, what d'you think?" said Bagman happily. "Growing nicely, aren't they? Give them a month and Hagrid'll have them twenty foot high. Don't worry," he turned to Amanda and Harry, "you'll have your Quidditch pitch back to normal once the task is over! Now, I imagine you can guess what we're making here?"

No one spoke for a moment. Then they all said in unison, "A maze."

Amanda pulled a face, causing Harry to chuckle.

"That's right!" said Bagman. "A maze. The third task's really very straightforward. The Triwizard Cup will be placed in the centre of the maze. The first champion to touch it will receive full marks."

"We seemply 'ave to get through the maze?" Fleur inquired, although they all seemed to know the answer.

"There will be obstacles," Bagman replied. "Hagrid is providing a number of creatures...then there will be spells that must be broken...all that sort of thing, you know. Now, the champion who is leading on points will get a head start into the maze."

Bagman grinned at Amanda. "Then Mr Potter, followed by Mr Krum and finally Miss Delacour.

"But you'll all be in with a fighting chance, depending on how well you get past the obstacles. Should be fun, eh?"

Amanda grinned, knowing too well what type of creatures Hagrid would put in the maze.

Bagman dismissed them and Viktor walked over to the Potter siblings.

"Can I haff a vord?" He asked Harry politely.

Harry nodded and Amanda said, "I'll come with you. I'm walking with Harry back to the castle anyway."

Viktor shook his head slightly. "It's a little private, Amanda."

Amanda smiled. "You don't need to worry, Viktor. Harry and I discuss everything."

Viktor nodded slightly and the three left the pitch.

Viktor started talking to Harry about Hermione, making Amanda have to conceal a smile in her hand.

"You both fly very well." Viktor said. "You are an excellent Chaser, Amanda. And Harry, you are a fantastic Seeker. I watched you both when you were playing Beauxbatons. You've gathered a very good team. To be honest, our team felt a little threatened."

Amanda smiled good-naturedly before noticing something in the trees behind Viktor.

She slipped a hand into her robes and drew out her wand, holding it at the ready.

Next moment a man had staggered iut of the trees. Amanda soon realised it was Mr Crouch. He looked as if he had been travelling for days.

"Vosn't he a judge?" Viktor said. "Isn't he vith your Ministry?"

Amanda nodded cautiously as Crouch muttered strange things. He seemed to be caught between different periods of time.

Harry called out to him cautiously,  but Crouch continued to mutter. He then lurched forward towards Harry, calling for Dumbledore.

Amanda pushed Harry behind her protectively.

"Harry, go get Dumbledore, we'll look after Crouch." She said quietly, and Viktor nodded, understanding that something was wrong.

Harry raced off and Amanda readied her wand.

Suddenly, Amanda and Viktor turned around as they realized Crouch had disappeared as they watched Harry leave.

"Where is he?"

Amanda shrugged, worried. She looked around once more and heard a muffled shout.

She turned to see Viktor on the ground, and standing above him was a young man she recognized as a memory finally broke free from where it had been trapped.

"You." She hissed.

"Amanda Potter." The man smirked.

He shot a spell at her and they duelled. Finally, the man shot a spell that worked through her defences and she was knocked back into a tree. As her eyes started to close, she saw the man stand above her, whispering, "Obliviate." His hand then appeared in her vision for a breath second before everything went black.

...

Harry hurried alongside Dumbledore as they walked towards the forest. They saw bright lights sparking in the darkness, as if someone was duelling, before they stopped.

Dumbledore quickened his pace as Harry started to jog. He sensed something had happened to Amanda.

When they found Krum, he was sprawled on the forest floor. He had been stunned.

Dumbledore revived him and he stood up saying, "The mad old man attacked me! He came from behind and attacked me!"

Hagrid arrived with Fang, followed by Professor Moody.

They started to discuss what to do but Harry stopped them.

"Just wait one moment!" He cried. "Where's Amanda?"

They all paused as they realised the girl was not there. Krum disappeared into the trees surrounding them and soon came back, carrying an unconscious Amanda. He laid her gently on the ground.

"I found her like this." He said gravely, showing she was bleeding from the back of her head.

Karkaroff appeared yelling about treachery. It was Viktor who spoke up. "Professor Karkaroff, one of the Hogwarts Champions has been attacked, and has suffered injuries worse than my own. Hogwarts has done no wrong. They are just as much victims as we are."

Karkaroff finally stopped acusing Dumbledore.

Dumbledore turned to Harry. "I want you to go straight Gryffindor Tower. Owls can wait until morning. You can see Amanda in the Hospital Wing tomorrow morning."

He turned to Hagrid. "Will you take Harry back to the castle? I'll bring Amanda to the Hospital Wing."

Harry followed Hagrid, casting one last glance to his older sister, sprawled on the ground.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 50 15
Love shouldn't be torture, but it is for the one and only Y/n Malfoy. She is the first person in her family to have been sorted into Gryffindor, othe...
356K 19.8K 75
Y/n Grindelwald is boy born into a powerful but feared wizarding family. At the age of 11 he has received his invitation to learn magic at the famous...
745K 23.8K 100
madison taylor, a 'slytherin' who was broken. who needed fixing. who needed someone to keep her in line. who needed someone. hermoine granger, a gry...
44.1K 919 68
The loyal, stubborn, kindhearted Lucy Potter had always been an odd girl to the rest of the world. Living with her awful relatives in a world of bori...