Don't Say Anything

By arose4u

Jessi is one of the few business majors in an almost all arts college. Her goals for life include; graduating... More

1. Rosie
2. He Gets Around
3. Not Everyone Is A Jerk Like Will
4. The Game
5. You're So Easy To Read
6. Analysis
7. Are You Following Me?
8. Tastes Like A Cherry Tree
9. A Dagger
10. It's Too Quiet In Here
11. I'm Just Curious
13. You're Driving Me Crazy
14. Accidents
15. Waiting
16. I'm Fine
17. Explanations
18. I'm Better Than I Look
19. Trust Me
20. Good Luck Bad Luck
21. A Different Game
22. I Know
23. Secrets
24. He's A Prick, But He's Not Stupid
25. Hot Chocolate
26. Baseball Stars
27. Jealousy and Coffee Creamers
28. Family
29. Just Something Small
30. Overwhelmed
31. Unexpected
32. Not A Good Word Choice
33. Uncharted Territory
34. I'm Not Scared
35. Everything
36. Texting
37. Merry Late Christmas
38. Ready Rosie?
39. The Art Show
40. Girlfriend Phobia
41. Oh.
42. Advice and News
43. Come Over
44. This Isn't Will
45. It's Over. She's Gone
46. You Can Be My Just In Case
47. Finally! Finally, Finally
48. Is It Vandalism?
49. About Valentines Day...
50. What's The Worst That Could Happen
51. Lies And Fights
52. You Won't Regret It
53. Is That A Challenge?
54. A Perplexing Phenomenon
55. The Wedding
56. First You Have To Pay Me Rent
57. Somewhere Better
58. Old Friend
59. Because We Stay Inside Too Much
60. I Can't Think On The Spot
61. In The Kitchen
62. She Doesn't Want To Be Found
63. I Should Hate Him
64. Don't Touch Me
65. Don't Kill Anybody
66. You're Unbelievable
67. Accouterments Has Two Cs
68. Oblivious
69. Prince Charming
70. What Crawled Up His Ass?
71. He's Happy
72. Voicemail
73. You Made Me Look Like A Fool
74. Just Listen To Me
75. It Would Be A Death Wish
76. Hell No
77. It's Not What You Think
78. My Northern Star
79. I Have One More Question
80. Metal Monster
81. First Date
82. I'm Training To Be Plato
83. I Was Trying To Be Flirtatious
84. I Don't Really Know Anything Except...
85. No, Don't Scream
86. Sweetheart
87. People Change
88. Threaten Me With Cats
89. Gossip Page
90. Chex Mix
91. You Crash It, You Pay For It
92. I Got It
93. It's Not A Game To Me
94. Speaking Of The Bastard
95. Your Foolishness
96. Shenanigans
97. Meaningless
98. Nothing Else Is Important
99. Don't Say Anything
100. A/N

12. Chocolate

3.3K 117 42
By arose4u

Will and I study in his living room almost every day. The term "study" being used lightly because we talk and joke more than half the time. I lose track of the days because they go by so smoothly. Avery has become my best friend and I'm also getting closer with Kira even though I don't see her as much. I've made some friends in my other classes, but I don't hang out with them because that would mean taking away my time with Will. Professor Moore told me long ago that I don't have to continue tutoring him, but I just said okay and pretended that the conversation never happened. I don't know if Will would still want me to come over his house if I don't have to.

He used to bug me all the time in business class, but after the professor called him out for the twentieth time, he settles with just staring at me half the period. We have more freedom in painting, even though his seat is across the room. Last week, we had an assignment to use only primary colors to paint an imaginary animal and he walked over to ask me if I had any extra purple paint he could borrow. Yesterday, we had to use small brushes (sizes 1-5) to paint the "crazy thoughts banging to get out of your ingenious little heads" and he asked me if he could barrow my size 10 brush. He gave up on thinking of good excuses to come talk to me after the first week.

I've tried to ask him more questions when we're at his house, but only one every couple of days. It tends to put him in a sour mood and I never really get any answers like I did the first day I came over.

"Why do you call your Mom by her first name?"

"That's personal."

"Why haven't you talked to your Dad in so long?"

"He's none of your concern, or mine for that matter. Drop it."

"How come you live separate from your parents?"

"I'm an adult."

"Do you ever see them?"

"Hardly."

"Will I ever get to meet your parents?"

"For your sake, hopefully not."

And that's the end of the conversation. It's easier to talk about myself and have him listen. I can tell it's hard for him to tell me things so I'm not very persistent. Once or twice we've heard people in the kitchen but Will pretends he doesn't hear it, so I do the same. I would love to meet his parents, but it seems like a sensitive subject to bring up.

I know he still goes to parties and probably gets drunk and hooks up with girls. I've asked Avery if she's seen him and she says that she has. Will has asked me to go to a few but I always say no. My experience with parties is not very good and I'm honestly a little scared to go to another one.

I hate the knot in my stomach that forms when I think of Will with other girls. Of course I have no say in what he does. I would be stupid to think that he would want to stay with one girl. Especially if that one girl is me. I have no experience in the things he does every weekend and it would just be a big letdown for him if he ever did want to be with me in that way. He never tries anything with me, which is a relief. I think I should feel insulted, but I don't. It's better if we just stay friends and other girls can take care of the rest. Even though it makes my heart drop every time I think about it.

"What are you doing? There isn't even a two in your previous answer!" Our roles of student and teacher have switched since Will started reading his book and statistics got twice as hard.

"I didn't even know I was supposed to be using that answer!" I say back just as irritated.

"Oh my God Jessi," he says rubbing his hands over his face. "How the fuck are you getting an A in this class right now?"

My phone rings and pulls my attention away from the dancing numbers. I look to see that it's my Mom and press ignore. I'll call her when I get back to my dorm.

"I don't really know. I think the professor just really likes me."

It rings again. I press ignore.

"Maybe you should try understanding the class instead of just flirting with the teacher."

It rings again. I'm going to kill her.

"Who is that?" Will asks when I press ignore again.

"It's just my Mom. I'll call her later." I turn off the ringing sound and put the phone back on the table. "So if I take the two and put it in the next equation, it still doesn't balance out because-" The vibration of a text message interrupts me and Will grabs my phone off the table.

"Will! No! Come on. Give it back." I stand up but he does too and my height is no match for his. He seems to think it's hilarious when I jump up only reaching as high as the bottom of his wrist.

"The teacher takes all phones that are distracting to the class," he says in a voice that sounds exactly like Mrs. Frizzle. Laughing is just making my mission to retrieve my phone ten times harder.

"It's just your Mom again," he says looking at the screen. I know it is. And I know why she keeps calling me.

"Hi honey!" He starts reading.

"Will!" I try to get him to stop but it only encourages him.

"I'm sure you're busy with your friend Will right now," he stops and gives me a sly smile. "You told her about me." I try to take the opportunity to grab my phone but he brings it up above his head again.

"Don't flatter yourself," I say my face suddenly feeling really hot. "I tell my Mom about everything." His smile widens like he's caught me in a lie but he really hasn't. To an extent. I tell my Mom about my classes and all my friends, but I might have left out the part about being drugged at a party.

He continues reading, "I hope you're having fun. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for not calling yesterday. I had a big art convention, but that is still no excuse for forgetting my daughter's..." He stops and his expression goes serious.

"It was your birthday yesterday?" He asks and I blush even more. I absolutely hate birthdays. I would rather suffer through a whole day of doing impossible statistics problems than random attention and awkward singing.

"Yeah," I say quietly and snatch my phone back. "But back to my homework-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Because it's the most uncomfortable thing in the world to bring up. What am I supposed to say? 'Hey! On November 13th, make sure you celebrate the fact that I'm alive.'

"It's no big deal." I say mocking his words from when we first came to his house.

"What did you do on your birthday?" He asks like he's going to get a really exciting answer. Yesterday was Wednesday, and Will decided to go to a party, which means that I stayed in my dorm and watched The Great Gatsby while eating cheese popcorn.

"Just stayed in," I say casually. "I don't like making a big deal out of it."

"We need to celebrate." If he throws some sort of party, I'll cut all of the hair off of his head in his sleep.

"Will please. We don't have to-"

"Shhhh," he puts a finger to my mouth which immediately shuts me up. "Don't say anything." I roll my eyes as he continues. "You don't have a choice. Follow me." He stands up and walks out of the room and I hesitate before following.

As soon as we're in the kitchen, he pulls out a big book from the cupboard and slams it down on the table.

"Pick one." He scoots the book closer to me and I read the title. The Hastings Family: Favorite Cakes. I open the front cover and see little messages handwritten by family members. Will flips the page for me before I get a chance to read any of them. I look up at him, but his eyes are fixed on the first recipe. Don't push him, Jessi.   

Vanilla is the title of the first page.

Chocolate is the next. "How about this one?" I say pointing to the page.

"You would pick the most boring cake in the whole book," he says flipping to the next page. "Be a little creative, Rosie." I've learned that he only calls me Rosie when he's joking around and in a good mood so I let it go from now on.

I make a big deal of taking fifty pages at a time and flipping to the back of the book where the names seen just as long as the recipe.

"This one," I say pointing Old Fashion Milk Chocolate Fudge Cake With Triple Dark Chocolate Chips Layered With Swirl Chocolate Frosting.

"Perfect. I think we'll need some chocolate," he says going into the fridge. I read through the list of ingredients and start my hunt around the kitchen for anything I might stumble across that we would need. They have a crap load of food for a family that hardly spends any time in the kitchen.

Once everything is out on the island, we get to work adding and mixing and folding and tasting. Will is a terrible baker and I'll be surprised if it actually comes out as an edible cake. I'm almost on the floor laughing when I see him trying to measure out two cup of sugar with a 1/16 cup.

"What happened to the 1 cup measuring cup?" I say when I can catch my breath.

"Some dumb ass used it to measure the flour," which just makes me laugh harder.

"You can't rinse it off?" And he pauses for a second, thinking.

"I can make this cake however I want, damn it." It seems like the world doesn't exist during times like this. Just me and Will and an overly chocolaty cake. It's so nice to be able to forgot everything and just laugh. That's what happens whenever I'm around Will.

I tune out the rest of the world so he's the only thing I'm focused on. It frightens me in a way, putting all my time and energy into someone who has mentioned multiple times that he will never date anyone, but I like this too much to overthink anything. For once in my life, I do something illogical just because I want to. And if hanging out with Will is the most illogical thing I've ever done, then I think I've pretty much got everything else under control. 

"I'm amazing at catching chocolate chips in my mouth," I say while he's mixing the batter.

"Prove it," he challenges. I pick a piece of chocolate from the bag and throw it up into the air. It falls perfectly into my mouth.

"Impressive Rosie. But you've got to throw it a little higher than that." I repeat the action, throwing it so it almost touches the ceiling, and catch it in my mouth.

"Throw me one." He opens his mouth and takes a few steps back. I throw it and it bounces right off of his nose. "You have terrible aim!"

"You have to move to catch it, genius," I say. He grumbles something under his breath about excuses and opens his mouth again. I try to aim better but he moves his head so it completely misses his face.

"Okay it's my turn," he says grabbing a handful of chocolate chips and throwing them all at me at one time.

"Hey!" I yell and grab a little bit of flour to throw onto his face. I can't help but to laugh at his glare when it gets all over his nose and mouth.

"You want to play that game?" He says filling both his hands with flour and covering me before I can run away. I shake my head back and forth and watch flour fly around us.

"Oh Rosie, you have a little something on your chin, let me just wash it off.." he grabs a bowl of measured water and pours it over my head.

Now dripping wet and half covered in flour I look up at him, "You asked for it." We had a lot of a chocolate/butter mixture left over because of Will's poor measuring skills and I pick up the bowl smirking at him. He starts to back away.

"Don't even think about-" And I throw everything in the bowl at his face. Most of it meets its target and the rest drips onto his shirt and the floor.  He freezes and for a moment I think he's actually mad until he wipes his eyes and take the first thing he sees to throw back at me. It's just a cup of sugar that sticks to me where the water is but runs onto the floor everywhere else. I pick up an egg as he turns around knowing it's my turn to act. I jump onto his back laughing as I crack the egg over his head.

"You're such an ass," he laughs as he runs around the kitchen. He keeps going in circles until I'm laughing too hard and he wiggles out of my grip. I pick up an egg and throw it at him across the kitchen being careful not to throw it near anything that might break. He surprisingly catches it and throws it back. I duck and it hits the fridge behind me. I pick up another one and he jumps out of the way when I throw it with a little more force. It breaks against the opposite wall right next to somebody's head and I freeze.

"What's wrong?" Will asks when he sees my face but I'm unable to respond. He follows my gaze and drops the egg that he was holding.

"Leah."         

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ooooooo.... Vote and Comemnt Please! Thank you. x 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 393 53
Eighteen year old Alexis begins college with her mind set to face her studies and be on her best behavior but almost immediately she resumes, she fal...
5 2 16
Roni Mac, 21, College student on her way to graduating with honors with a bachelors in English and Business. Her uptight attitude makes it hard for h...
1 0 1
Rose, a young girl living in an abusive household finally finds the love of her life after spending most of her years alone. She meets Connor by acci...
1.8K 54 21
One High School graduation trip, one trip to the bar, and one simple hook-up. She didn't see it opening up a door to a big adventure that she never s...