Don't Say Anything

By arose4u

Jessi is one of the few business majors in an almost all arts college. Her goals for life include; graduating... More

1. Rosie
2. He Gets Around
3. Not Everyone Is A Jerk Like Will
4. The Game
5. You're So Easy To Read
6. Analysis
7. Are You Following Me?
8. Tastes Like A Cherry Tree
9. A Dagger
10. It's Too Quiet In Here
12. Chocolate
13. You're Driving Me Crazy
14. Accidents
15. Waiting
16. I'm Fine
17. Explanations
18. I'm Better Than I Look
19. Trust Me
20. Good Luck Bad Luck
21. A Different Game
22. I Know
23. Secrets
24. He's A Prick, But He's Not Stupid
25. Hot Chocolate
26. Baseball Stars
27. Jealousy and Coffee Creamers
28. Family
29. Just Something Small
30. Overwhelmed
31. Unexpected
32. Not A Good Word Choice
33. Uncharted Territory
34. I'm Not Scared
35. Everything
36. Texting
37. Merry Late Christmas
38. Ready Rosie?
39. The Art Show
40. Girlfriend Phobia
41. Oh.
42. Advice and News
43. Come Over
44. This Isn't Will
45. It's Over. She's Gone
46. You Can Be My Just In Case
47. Finally! Finally, Finally
48. Is It Vandalism?
49. About Valentines Day...
50. What's The Worst That Could Happen
51. Lies And Fights
52. You Won't Regret It
53. Is That A Challenge?
54. A Perplexing Phenomenon
55. The Wedding
56. First You Have To Pay Me Rent
57. Somewhere Better
58. Old Friend
59. Because We Stay Inside Too Much
60. I Can't Think On The Spot
61. In The Kitchen
62. She Doesn't Want To Be Found
63. I Should Hate Him
64. Don't Touch Me
65. Don't Kill Anybody
66. You're Unbelievable
67. Accouterments Has Two Cs
68. Oblivious
69. Prince Charming
70. What Crawled Up His Ass?
71. He's Happy
72. Voicemail
73. You Made Me Look Like A Fool
74. Just Listen To Me
75. It Would Be A Death Wish
76. Hell No
77. It's Not What You Think
78. My Northern Star
79. I Have One More Question
80. Metal Monster
81. First Date
82. I'm Training To Be Plato
83. I Was Trying To Be Flirtatious
84. I Don't Really Know Anything Except...
85. No, Don't Scream
86. Sweetheart
87. People Change
88. Threaten Me With Cats
89. Gossip Page
90. Chex Mix
91. You Crash It, You Pay For It
92. I Got It
93. It's Not A Game To Me
94. Speaking Of The Bastard
95. Your Foolishness
96. Shenanigans
97. Meaningless
98. Nothing Else Is Important
99. Don't Say Anything
100. A/N

11. I'm Just Curious

3.2K 122 46
By arose4u

Will's POV

Jessi sits next to me quietly humming along to the music as we drive out of the library parking lot and down the street. She wanted to walk in the damn rain all the way there while I drove, but I called her crazy until she finally got in the car. I'm glad she did, because I probably wouldn't have left without her. We'd still be in the parking lot right now if I didn't threaten to stand there all night. She didn't believe me until I actually sat down on the pavement waiting for her to get in the car. Nobody talks back to me or tells me no... and I kind of like when she does. Even though I normally win in the end.

"Am I really the first person you've invited to your house?" She asks quietly. I can tell she's testing out my mood.

"I didn't really invite you. The only choices you gave me were my house or that silent jailhouse." She laughs a little at my response and I smile back at her. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm driving and I can't stare at her.

"Why don't you want people to come over?"

"You ask too many damn questions," I say to avoid answering.

"I'm just curious," she pouts and looks back out the window. I love how she's interested in me. It's fucking adorable. No one has ever cared enough to ask questions about my life. But she can't know everything. I can't trust her with everything. I can't trust anyone, but she's making it really damn hard to remember that.

"Almost there," I say as we pull off the main road. We drive for another couple of minutes down a path that I don't think I've ever seen another car drive on besides my own before I pull off to the side. Jessi looks over at me confused.

"You live in the middle of the wood?" She asks looking around.

"No," I smile. "It's just ahead. I wanted to remind you-"

"Don't say anything," she interrupts. "I got it the first ten times." She must think I'm insane but the last thing I want is a million questions. That's really the reason I don't bring anyone back here. Too many people ask questions and too many people talk.

I drive a little farther into what seems like never ending trees until we get to a clearing of grass. Our gardener must have just cut the grass because it's a perfect straight line across the top of the lawn right up to the house. It takes him most of the day, so he doesn't do it very often. The rain has turned the flowers along the edge of the house vibrant colors, which reflect against the white paint of the house behind them.

"Oh my-" Jessi starts saying but I cut her off.

"Don't say anything, Rosie."

She's so hypnotized that she doesn't even notice the name I called her. The look on her face makes it seem like I just showed her the lost city of Atlantis. Who knew I would get so much enjoyment out of her amusement. I never really appreciated the house when we moved in two years ago because I was still pissed about Leah and Ethan moving across the country with me. We could have moved into the White House and I wouldn't have given a flying fuck. Although, Ethan always says it's 'technically' the same amount of square feet as the White House or something like that. But watching her, it's like I'm seeing everything for the first time again in a new light.

I almost drive off the path into the grass a few times from accidentally looking over at her too much. I park outside of the garage and open the car door but she doesn't move.

"Are you planning on studying in the car?" She looks over at me to say something but I put my finger to my lips and she closes her mouth. I'm suddenly really excited to bring her inside. It's like bringing a five-year-old to Disney World for the first time.

I grab her notes and textbooks and wonder how she carries the weight of a baby elephant to all of her classes everyday. Her promise to be silent looks like it's killing her as she follows me through the side door. I never have anyone over and Ethan always brings people in through the front door so this side one always stays unlocked. As soon as we're inside, I put her books down in the living room and sit on the couch.

"Do you, uhhh, want something to drink or something?" I ask as she stands awkwardly in the door frame. I don't know what I'm supposed to do when people are in my house. Drinking seems like a logical thing. She points to her lips and shrugs her shoulders.

"Oh, sorry. You can talk now."

"Will! This house is absolutely-"

"Not about the house," I say and she looks a little annoyed but she's still smiling.

"I would love a water." I get up from the couch and motion for her to follow me two rooms over to the kitchen.

"Do you import your water from the Caribbean Islands?" She asks as I go into the fridge.

"Very funny smart ass," I say as I throw her a bottle and take one out for myself.

"Am I really not allowed to ask you anything?" She studies the granite counter tops and racks of wine bottles like she's never seen a damn kitchen before.

"Nope," I say popping the 'p' at the end. I love her frustration.

"Come on Will. I'm serious. You can't just bring me to your castle-house and expect me to just pretend like it's no big deal."

"Because it's not a big deal," I say and she tilts her head to the side giving me big eyes.

"Cute faces don't work on me, Rosie," she furrows her eyebrows together at the name and opens her water bottle.

"I'll let you get away with that one if you explain just the very basic reasons for you living in house that could double as a bed and breakfast for ten families," she says and I roll my eyes.

"Ethan owns all the Hilton Hotels in America. There's like a couple thousand of them or something."

"Is that your brother?" She asks completely engrossed in what I'm saying.

"I don't have any siblings," I simply state.

"Then who is he?"

"He's Leah's boyfriend."

"Who's Leah?" She doesn't give up does she? I sigh and drink the rest of the water in the bottle. I want to say "mind your own fucking business" but I promised myself that I would try to control myself. I walk over to the fridge and grab another water. I think it's getting hotter in here. Or I just can't stop sweating.

"I at least should know who you lives in the house I'm standing in," she says trying to make the conversation lighter. It doesn't feel any lighter though. It feels like a thousand pounds and I can barely stand on my feet. Does she not realize how hard this whole 'opening up to people' thing is for me?

"Is she like your babysitter?" She asks and I actually laugh a little.

"Basically," I say a little out of breath. I should be comfortable here. It is my house. I should be comfortable telling someone about my family. It's no big deal. Fuck. I haven't been like this in years. What is she doing to me?

"She's.." I try to take a few more gulps of water and realize it's empty. I throw it away and rest my arms on the island where Jessi is leaning. "She's..."

Jessi's small hands reach out and cover my fidgeting ones. I look up into her blue eyes. I can see them searching mine and I hope she doesn't find anything. Nothing breaks me. But I didn't realize how hard it is for me to trust people, even with the simplest of information, until now. I hope she doesn't see right through me.

"You don't have to tell me anything," she says and squeezes my hands slightly. "Let's go study." She picks up her water and I follow her into the living room. Relief takes over by body, but also guilt. She doesn't have to know all my secrets, but I can't keep her in the dark from whose house she's in.

"She's my Mom, I guess." Jessi looks up at me in silence waiting to see if I'll continue. "You can just call her Leah though. But, yeah, she's my Mom. She's been dating Ethan for at least four years I think. My Dad lives somewhere in southern California. I haven't talked to him in... in a while. Leah loves art, like me, so that's why we moved here to North Carolina. LA is too commercialized." Once I start, it all flows out. "So Ethan and Leah live on the north side of the house and I live on the south side. We share the kitchen but they hardly use it. So just don't go past the kitchen." I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding in.

"I won't," she says with a smile that makes me feel proud of myself. Those thousand pounds on my back was just cut in half. No one knows anything past my first and last name in this state. Well, no one except her now, and she doesn't push me any farther.

"If you fail Business Analysis, Professor Moore is going to kill me." And with that, any personal talk stops.

I want to tell her not to tell anyone, but something tells me I don't have to. I'm safe with her. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Vote and Comment because I love you. x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.9K 3.4K 20
Emily has everything she has ever wanted; popularity, a handsome, all-star athlete boyfriend and a top spot on the cheerleading squad. So why does it...
366 51 26
Jake- As an architecture student Jake has no time for a girlfriend. He barely has time for his friends, so he keeps his social obligations on the li...
86 1 49
Andi, a girl that is now going to high school across the country,and is leaving her town of Buleburn to study. She hopes that if she studies here sh...
97 0 12
Daisy never knew love. Daisy only liked to study, and get good grades. But when a special someone comes to school, everything, changes.