Experiment Zero

By dangeroustoken

There's more out there than you think. Ashley Cartwright works on a secluded island for her father as a... More

1. New Arrival
2. Confrontation
3. Into the Lion Den
4. Man Child
5. Patient Zero
6. Eat My Dust
7. Woah, Superman
8. Anger On A New Level
9. A Goodbye Gone Wrong
10. Sleepover
Character Interveiw
11. Midnight Scare
12. Queen Of Tasers
13. Caught Sylvia-Handed
14. I Hate Dresses
15. Crashing The Party
16. A Water Bottle, Anyone?
17. Explanations And Spilt Coffee
18. Fartherly Issues
19. Anger That's Not My Own
20. A Syringe Too Many
21. A Very Stupid Plan
5k Views!
22. A Hindrance And A Tragic Departure
23. A Strange Stranger
24. Sleeping Assassin
10k Views!!!!
Bonus Character Interview
26. The Wildside
27. Merchant Sons and Fainting
50k views!!!!!!!
28. Darklings, Death, and Drinks
29. Lager
30. Highclere, The Furnace House
31. Queen of Whips
32. A Dark Lightling
33. Dark Pasts and Zero's Confession
34. Interruptions and Staring Contests
35. Peter And The Big Reveal
36. The Big Reveal Continues....And Oh Yeah There's Peter
200k Views Lager's POV
37. And The Plot Developes
Halloween Bonus!
38. My Annoying Shadow
39. Let's Make A Trade
Christmas With A Cripple
Christmas Bonus
40. The Ultimate Showdown
41. The Core
42. A Resolution?
43. Goodbye For Now
Q And A
Bonus Character Interview 2
Bonus Character Interview 3
Epilogue/ Different Character P.O.V.
Sequel

25. Sudden Escape

54K 2.6K 451
By dangeroustoken

Gathered in the center of camp, everyone from Scientists to guards stand in a packed circle, discussing plans.

A few attendants had dared to accompany us, and I managed to grab one of their uniforms. 

Becky hadn't taken kindly to dressing as a helper, but she sucked it up once I threatened to kick her out of camp.

Finally in disguise after a few minutes of waiting outside the tent as Becky dressed and pouted, we hurried to the center of camp, the sun rising in the morning sky.

I push my way through the crowd, Becky following a few yards behind and staying at a distance. I stop at my dads side, right in the middle of the crowd. Mrs. Clark is also there, and she sends one of her classic smirks my way.

I ignore her and instead wave at Coach Jackson who I haven't seen in a while. He winks back, and I turn my focus back on my dad, who has a sketchy drawing in his hands which looks like a poor map of the island.

"This is the best image we could conjure up with Zero's description of the island." Dad explains. 

I study the map, and all I can make of it is a bunch of scribbles and something that looks like a mountain. Glancing back, I scan all the people for Becky, and find her a few yards away, standing with her arms crossed, looking bored. She definitely stands out from the rest of the attendants, and when I catch her eye, I motion for her to uncross her arms, to which she rolls her eyes.

Scowling, I turn back to the inner circle of adults.

"Has Subject Zero given the location of the core yet." Mrs. Clark asks, also studying the map.

"The core?" I question.

Mrs. Clark glances up at me, as if forgetting I was there, and says exasperatedly, "The core of the island. The area where the Lightling territory and Darkling territory meet."

I inhale sharply. "You know about the Lightlings and Darklings? Since when?"

"The Subject was quite talkative on the ship, once I used my methods."

I hold back the urge to snarl, hating the intense wave of guilt that hits me. I knew I should have found Zero sooner on the boat. My hate for Mrs. Clark increases, if that's even possible.

"Calm down Ashley." My dad speaks up. "I made sure no harm came to Zero."

I exhale in relief, and this time it's Mrs. Clarks turn to snarl. Would it be childish to stick my tongue out at her?

"So what about this core? Why do you want to find it?" I ask, ym dad, and when mrs. Clark answers instead I glare at her.

"Well it would be stupid to surge one of the Lightlings of Darklings territories. We wouldn't stand a chance. But Zero gave some very valuable information. The core of this island is sacred, and any Lightling or Darkling that is not chosen to go there is immediately disintegrated. It would be the most idealistic place to set up camp, and begin our exploration."

I frown at her use of the word exploration. We are not exploring anything. We are taking it over."

"The core," My dad says, butting into the glaring contest between Mrs. Clark and I, "Is located just Northwest from here, at the valley of this mountain." He points to the trinagle shape on the paper which I had guessed was a mountain.

"We have two ways to get to it. Either the long way, where we travel the border between the Lightling and Darkling territory, or the shorter way, where we cut through the Lightling territory."

"I vote the shorter way." Mrs. Clark instantly declares.

"The longer way is safer and my daughter is with us, so I'm going for the long one." My dad rebuttles.

Coach Jackson looks up from his watch he'd been fiddling with. "I'm staying neutral." He syas. "I have no clue about this stuff, and what would be the best course to take."

Then all adults eyes go to me.

"Me?' I ask in sharp surprise.

Mrs. Clark rolls her eyes. "Yes, you. Don't think this is something big, we just need one more vote to settle it."

I'm frozen on the spot, wondering which one to take. I honestly want to stay neutral like Coach Jackson, but their eyes are staring into my soul, demanding an answer.

I open my mouth, but turns out I don't have to answer because suddenly there's a commotion behind me.

I turn to see Becky on the ground, holding her left cheek. One of the scientists stands over her, his face red in fury.

I rush over, crouching to help Becky up, but she pushes me off her, standing up on her own. She removes her hand from her face and there's a faint red mark.

I stand up with her too, turning to face the Scientists.

"You hit her." I accuse.

"Yes I did." He says with no shame. "This is one of the single-handedly most useless attendants I have ever seen. not only does she refuse to bring me my equipment, but she also has the dare to disrespect and insult me."

Becky is trembling beside me, and at first I think its out of fear, but then I get a glimpse of her face and am shocked to see the pure fury written there.

For one moment, I'm terrified, because Becky wasn't there anymore, Becky was gone. In her place was a raging monster, demanding vengeance.

A blast of light surges out from Becky, slamming into the male scientist and sending him flying backwards. 

A hush falls over the gathered crowd, and everyone who wasn't watching is now at full attention. I'm frozen on the spot, shocked as the injured scientist writhes on the ground. 

Becky stands, panting, before glancing up and looking around at the people standing in shock, the guards with their hands on their holsters.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

A terrible fear overwhelms me, and I'm scared that they will take Becky away and lock her up just like they have with Zero.

I need to get her out of here.

Acting on pure instinct, I rush forward and grab Becky's hand, before sprinting through a small opening. The few attendants I'm running towards jump out of the way.

"Sorry." I yell over my shoulder.

"A Lightling!" I hear Mrs.Clark screech. "What am I paying you guards for?! After her!"

That seems to snap the guards out of it. Pounding footsteps and shouts to halt sound behind us, but luckily I got a head start. Becky, who seems drained from her use of power, lets me drag her along, and I tug at her hand.

We reach the forest and run through the clearing I had first met Becky.

Already I am panting, but I keep pushing.

Suddenly, there's a roar behind us and a terrible screech of metal coming from the camp. I'm tempter to turn and look, but I force myself to face forward and keep sprinting.

The pounding foosteps of the guards behind us fade, until I can't hear them anymore.

I manage to turn my head tot he side to just get a glimpse, only to meet startling grey eyes that are right next to me.

I scream and ground to a halt, Becky manages to stop an inch away from hurtling into me.

"Zero!" I exclaim, turning to face him.

"Ape man!" Becky also exclaims, a tired smirk on her features.

"What are you doing here?" I demand, almost angry.

"You were going to leave without me." He pouts, glaring down at me.

"I wasn't leaving, I just had to get Becky away." I tell him.

I start to talk again, but Zero's hand is suddenly on my mouth as he listens. I inhale sharply, upset he muffled me, but perk my ears and listen too.

There it is.

More footsteps, approaching.

"Guards." Zero growls.

"Zero, take Becky and run. I'll go bac-" I start to say, but Zero doesn't listen.

Instead, like a real ape, he leans down and swoops me up, starting to sprint. Becky, most of her strength returned, runs beside him, and we go crashing through the underbrush.

"Put me down!" I yell, grabbing onto his arm.

He grunts, only picking up his pace. I squirm, but soon we reach the pace to where being dropped would hurt really bad. I look down and see the ground speeding by. I attempt to turn back and see Becky keeping up, a determined look on her face.

"Slow down!" I yell, but again he doesn't listen.

Growling, I focus, closing my eyes. I feel the bond between us, and using my rage to help, I send an ear-splitting screech down the bond.

Zero lets out  a roar, digging his heels into the ground. His hands holding me go limp, and I tumble out of them, landing harshly on the ground.

I groan, pushing myself up and rubbing my back while Zero clutches his head. He snarls, his eyes livid when he looks up at me.

For the first time ever, I find myself scared of him. I crawl backwards, not breaking eye contact. Zero takes a step forward, eyes flickering.

Then Zero freezes up, his shoulders slumping, his eyes drooping, until he falls to the ground with a heavy thud.

Becky stands behind him, breathing hard, hands up from where they were pressed against his back, a faint glow emitting from them.

My breathing's heard as my brain tries to take in all that just happened.

"Don't worry." Becky says, her hands forming into a gun as she blows on her index finger with a wink. "Just a little Lightling magic to make him calm down."

I exhale, suddenly exhausted after all these fast paced events.

"Okay then." Becky says, clapping her hands together. "Let's set up camp."

Dear Readers, Hope you enjoyed. I had intended for this chapter to come out sooner, but you know.....life. Anyway, tell me your thoughts on this chapter. I'm not sure if its my best, but lets see how Zero and Ashley, and lets not forget Becky take on the island by themselves. Spoiler: I'll be introducing a new character soon. Vote, comment, and pet a Boa snake.

Lots of love,

Dangeroustoken.

P.S. I've been getting so many votes and comments lately and its been amazing. Don't be afraid to comment, I always tried to respond and almost always do. Love you guys. Peace out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34 5 10
In the year 2150, emotions are a forgotten language. Feelings, outlawed. Humanity, reduced to an unfeeling, cold existence under the iron rule of The...
389K 18.6K 36
Hidden deep in the California valley is the Aves Department for the infamous C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories. Offered an internship this esteemed genetic res...
Girl Power By LILY

Teen Fiction

2.5K 160 34
"WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING?!" I yelled "O MY GOD it worked!". OK so that was a little preview of what's going to happen in this book so let me expla...
625 3 33
Alright, I don't know where to begin. My name is Anaya Matthew and... I'm turning into a freakn' robot! Richie: "Don't say it like that Anaya! You'...