Smile

By CJ_Rogers

Stephanie is your everyday tomboy in LA. Rich, pretty, and smart, Stephanie has the whole package buy what ha... More

New Neighbors
Fun in Unexpected Places
Icebreaker: Social Media
SKATE
Blossoms on the Beach
Lovely Betrayal
First for Hurt
Celeb Parking Only
Rare Hearts
Business Plan
Teaser
Surprised Encounters
Broken Bones
I Like You
Chance Encounter
Bennie's
Two-Heart Bond
Business Before Pleasure
Intimidation
His Eyes
New Attitude
It's a Party. Or Nah
Got 'im
Plans
Rekindling Flame
It's Not a Date
Authors Note!
Hospital Visit
Movers
Fight or Flight
Revelation
New York
WTF
A Kiss to Forget
Homebound
Home Sweet Home
Interrupted
Authors Note!
First
Roads
The Start of Something New
BOOM!!

Something Missed

192 3 3
By CJ_Rogers

"Steph", he breathed trying to get up. "What are you doing here?", he asked dusting off his clothes.

"Nothing. Just thought I'd come to a good old fashioned party and be a normal teenager for once", I attempted to joke but it was hard with my heart beating so loud.

Thankfully, Chris laughed, "I see. You wanna go somewhere... less dangerous?", he asked making a joke of his own.

"Sure", I found myself smiling although I wanted to scream. I hadn't expected him to be here or for him to be talking to me so casually.

Chris led me upstairs out the back door and out into the open night. The backyard was completely deserted sans a few beer cans from earlier when it was warmer. We sat on a chair swing letting it sway from our weight.

"You look pretty", Chris said clearing his throat nervously.

I laughed. It felt better knowing I wasn't the only nervous one. "Thanks. You don't look to bad yourself", and he didn't. He was dress in a white T-shirt with a grey zip-up hoodie, black skinny jeans and red high tops.

"Thanks", he said with a triumphant smile. "So, what is up?", he said kicking out his legs to keep us going.

Moping over you. "Oh, you know, a little of this and a little that", vague is key.

"Ah. I do that too", he said like he really knew what I was talking about.

We were silent for a while, both of us just enjoying the other's company. Should I tell him? How much I've missed him. No, that would be weird. But then again if I don't tell him, what's the benefit in knowing it. I knew it now for sure.

"I miss you", I blurted out at the same time as Chris said something. "You go first", I said somewhat relieved he hadn't heard me.

He took a deep breath and looked right into my eyes for the first time in what seemed like forever. "I-"

As if on cue Blondie came charging out the door. "I've been looking all over for you. We need to talk", she stopped short of us and scowled. "What the hell are you doing here?", she hissed.

I wasn't in the mood to argue with her. Raising my hand I stopped her from going any further. "Calm down. I was invited", I said keeping my hand raised so she would stay quiet a few seconds longer. "Text me", I said beginning to stand but Chris held onto my wrist pulling me back down into my seat.

"This will only take a second", he said calmly his gaze sincere as the sky above. "Ashley, leave me alone!", he practicality yelled. "I don't want your negativity. Stop texting me", he sounded so stern it caught me off guard and apparently Ashley too.

Her expression twisted into hate and her eyes narrowed at me, "Is this because of her?".

Chris was back to his usual calm self. "It's because of you. You're so mean and judgemental! I can't take it", he said honestly.

Ashley looked like a mental case just waiting to happen and I braced myself for the storm but it never came. She stormed off leaving Chris and I to ourselves again.

"Well, that was awkward", I said with a light chuckle.

Chris nodded. "What time is it?", he said after a couple minutes had passed.

I checked my phone and was shocked by the time. "10:14", I answered. Why was he asking this now? I wanted to shake him and yell, "What were you going to tell me!", but I just sat patiently waiting.

Chris stood up stretching his shirt raising up showing off his midriff although I only got a side view. He turned around offering me his hand. "I'm gonna head home. Are you staying here?", Chris said helping me to my feet.

What? No! You still haven't told me! "No, I have an appointment in the morning. I'm gonna say hi to Euriah and Ky first though", curiosity was pushing me over the edge. What was he going to tell me before rude ass Ashley interrupted? Oh, well.

Chris went with me to find the guys. Euriah was sad I couldn't stay but Ky looked about ready to leave himself. He had never been the social type, even though girls flocked to him left and right and guys wanted to be him, he never fit in with the in-crowd.

After we left the party, Chris walked me to my car. "So, we should hang out something", Chris said as we stopped in front of Melissa.

"We should", I smiled. It was good to know we were on hanging out terms again. "I'd like that".

He had one of those crooked smiles that made him look too adorable for words and hot at the same time. "Good. I'll text you".

"Alright. Night Chris", unsure of what came over me I hugged him.

For a split second he didn't seem to know what to do but then hugged me back. His arms held me so securely that I never wanted him to let go and he was so warm. We held on for a few seconds longer breathing in each others scents. He smelled musky and just sexy as hell. I'd have to see what cologne he used and steal it.

After we pulled away I was too embarrassed to look at him but I could hear the smile on his lips, "Night, Steph".

When I got home, Dad and Vanessa were already in bed. I grabbed a snack and got ready for bed. Putting on a Jack Daniel's tank and a pair of boxers, in place of my dress, and dove into my soft, plushy king size bed.

I was staring up at my ceiling waiting for sleep to come when my phone buzzed. I had to dig around my comforters but I found it eventually. It was a text from Chris.

I can't sleep

Chris

A smile lit my face for no reason.

Join the club

Stephie

But I don't wanna

Chris

Sucks, it's too late now

Stephie

It took a few minutes for him to text back.

Look out your window

Chris

I groaned, rolling out of bed and wandering over to my window. Chris was sitting there grinning. He picked up a large notepad, the ones kindergarten teacher use, and it said THIS CLUB REALLY SUCKS.

A giggle rose from my mouth and lilted through the warm air. I went hunting around my room for something to write on. I remember I had a decent sized white board and a dry erase marker from when I did a day of silence at school. Quickly I scribbled down the words I KNOW in dark blue.

Chris laughed and even though I couldn't hear the sound it still made me smile. He took a moment to write something then looked up at me biting the corner of his lip. LETS CHILL AFTER YOUR APT 2MORROW???

My stomach did a back flip. YES, I held up my sign smiling like a goof.

He took a second to write. OK. I'M GOING 2 BED and then he flipped the pad over and it had GOODNIGHT BEAUTIFUL on it.

My heart did a sommersault. I guess my organs were gymnasts now. I waved, a little sad I had to go to bed but happy at the same time. Chris and I were back to normal almost... and he thinks I'm beautiful!

Lying back down I tried to reason with myself. He was just saying that. Right? But who just randomly calls people beautiful? But then again it was Chris I was dealing with. He calls EVERYONE beautiful. I was starting to overthink it. I forced myself to close my eyes and relax and I fell asleep thinking about those aqua marine eyes.

°°°

I pulled up to the Beverly Hills Hotel at 10:42 in Maxine, her engine purring sweetly and sadly I had to leave her in the hands of an over eager valet. If he crashed my baby there was going to be hell to pay.

Inside, I was met by a long legged blonde named, Persilla. She showed me to the room that my interview was being held in. It was a small conference room with one window at the far end of the room and a small round table. A small blonde was already sitting, digging around in her bag for her materials.

Persilla left without a word and the door closing is what caught the small blondes attention. She was dressed in a very simple beige dress, that was similar to the one I had worn last night, and a pair of nude heels. Not what my choice would have been but then again I suck at dressing like a girl, so what would I know.

Without even looking at me she addressed me correctly. "Stephanie, please take a seat. We'll get started in a moment", she instructed. I was going to sit at the table, across from her but she halted me. "No, over in the left chair in front of the cameras", she pointed to a pair of sofa chairs on the far side of the room. I hadn't even noticed them or the camera crew for that matter.

I sat down and waited for the girl to finally be ready. Soon enough she walked over and I couldn't believe it. It was Naomi from Colson's party.

"Hey, long time no see", she teased bending down to hug me.

"Yeah", I laughed returning the greeting.

She took her seat next to me, pen and notepad in hand. "So, why don't we get started", she smiled warmly.

There were so many questions I wanted to ask her but now wasn't the time. "Alright, let's do this".

"So, how old are you?", she asked then explained, "Just gonna ask a few warm up questions just to get you used to it".

I nodded understanding. "I'm eighteen".

"What do you do for fun in your spare time?".

"Skateboard".

She had been scribbling in her notepad but took a second to look up at me. "Do you have any pictures of you skateboarding?".

I had set my phone in my lap because I had forgotten my handbag in the car. Scrolling through my pictures I found a couple that had been taken at the park during a game of SKATE a couple months ago. I leaned over and showed her the screen. One of the cameramen came over with a portable camera and recorded over our shoulders.

"You look really good doing that", she commended. "How long have you been skateboarding?", she asked, her interest showing.

"Since I was in fifth grade. My friend Ky taught me".

She nodded. "Alright. Tell me more about the situation with Justin", she leaned back a little, getting comfortable in her chair.

This is not what I wanted to talk about but Insider was a magazine that thrived on gossip, so I should have expected it. "Well, Justin and I met at the skate park by Venice beach. I didn't really like him, like at all, and I was even more pissed that he had the public park closed off, but he was friends with Chris, so I tried being nice to him. It went against everything in me to do it but I did it anyway", Naomi listened intently. Things were getting too serious for me so I tried to lighten the dimming mood. "Mistake number one", this earned a small laugh from her. "Then I went to my favorite ice cream shop, Bennie's, for some, of course, ice cream and he just happened to be there--this was a few days later. Chris and Justin were basically having a bromance and I was being the odd third-wheel, go figure. Well, over time, Justin started to grow on me. We went out on a couple dates to these lavish places, but there wasn't much of a connection. Sure the guy is hot, I will give him that, but passed all those tattoos and good hair, he's just a boy", I breathed deeply. It felt good to finally get it all off my chest.

Naomi soaked in the information like a sponge but was on to the next question. "How do you feel about Selena?".

This was a trick question, where they usually gathered dirt. I wasn't going to be the one to trash talk her and look like the bad guy. "In all honesty, I respect her. If she can stand by a man that has fling after fling, then I commend her because I could never do it".

Naomi sat up and laughed. "Alright, enough of that. Who are you wearing?".

I looked down at my outfit. A creamy white dress with a square neckline, peach colored pumps with two straps across the ankle and gold jewelry. "Um, the dress is my favorite designer, Ralph Lauren and the shoes are Louboutin's. My jewelry is authentic 'straight out my mom's jewelry box'", I ended with a laugh.

"Alright! Well, that's all I need. If you'll take a moment I have some paperwork for you to fill out. It's just a bunch of liabilities and disclaimers", she handed me a small packet.

I skimmed through the pages signing where I was supposed to and nowhere else. "Here ya go", I said handing her the papers.

"Awesome! Thanks again", she beamed at me.

"No problem. Thank you".

I left the hotel in good spirits until a familiar sports car pulled in blocking my view. Oh, come on! Could I not have one day where my luck didn't run out?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

589K 9.1K 87
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...
104K 9.2K 111
"You think I'm golden?" "Brighter than the sun, but don't tell Apollo" Dante hates Rome's golden boy. Jason doesn't even remember him. Right person w...
1.3M 58.1K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
229K 7.9K 98
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...