Something Missed

"Steph", he breathed trying to get up. "What are you doing here?", he asked dusting off his clothes.

"Nothing. Just thought I'd come to a good old fashioned party and be a normal teenager for once", I attempted to joke but it was hard with my heart beating so loud.

Thankfully, Chris laughed, "I see. You wanna go somewhere... less dangerous?", he asked making a joke of his own.

"Sure", I found myself smiling although I wanted to scream. I hadn't expected him to be here or for him to be talking to me so casually.

Chris led me upstairs out the back door and out into the open night. The backyard was completely deserted sans a few beer cans from earlier when it was warmer. We sat on a chair swing letting it sway from our weight.

"You look pretty", Chris said clearing his throat nervously.

I laughed. It felt better knowing I wasn't the only nervous one. "Thanks. You don't look to bad yourself", and he didn't. He was dress in a white T-shirt with a grey zip-up hoodie, black skinny jeans and red high tops.

"Thanks", he said with a triumphant smile. "So, what is up?", he said kicking out his legs to keep us going.

Moping over you. "Oh, you know, a little of this and a little that", vague is key.

"Ah. I do that too", he said like he really knew what I was talking about.

We were silent for a while, both of us just enjoying the other's company. Should I tell him? How much I've missed him. No, that would be weird. But then again if I don't tell him, what's the benefit in knowing it. I knew it now for sure.

"I miss you", I blurted out at the same time as Chris said something. "You go first", I said somewhat relieved he hadn't heard me.

He took a deep breath and looked right into my eyes for the first time in what seemed like forever. "I-"

As if on cue Blondie came charging out the door. "I've been looking all over for you. We need to talk", she stopped short of us and scowled. "What the hell are you doing here?", she hissed.

I wasn't in the mood to argue with her. Raising my hand I stopped her from going any further. "Calm down. I was invited", I said keeping my hand raised so she would stay quiet a few seconds longer. "Text me", I said beginning to stand but Chris held onto my wrist pulling me back down into my seat.

"This will only take a second", he said calmly his gaze sincere as the sky above. "Ashley, leave me alone!", he practicality yelled. "I don't want your negativity. Stop texting me", he sounded so stern it caught me off guard and apparently Ashley too.

Her expression twisted into hate and her eyes narrowed at me, "Is this because of her?".

Chris was back to his usual calm self. "It's because of you. You're so mean and judgemental! I can't take it", he said honestly.

Ashley looked like a mental case just waiting to happen and I braced myself for the storm but it never came. She stormed off leaving Chris and I to ourselves again.

"Well, that was awkward", I said with a light chuckle.

Chris nodded. "What time is it?", he said after a couple minutes had passed.

I checked my phone and was shocked by the time. "10:14", I answered. Why was he asking this now? I wanted to shake him and yell, "What were you going to tell me!", but I just sat patiently waiting.

Chris stood up stretching his shirt raising up showing off his midriff although I only got a side view. He turned around offering me his hand. "I'm gonna head home. Are you staying here?", Chris said helping me to my feet.