Rare Hearts

What the- was this idiot really wearing sunglasses at night? I stared baffled at the pop star in front of me. He had said something but I was not listening. This bozo thought he could hog the park to himself and wear stupid sunglasses at night? Some people really had nerve.

"Can I skate with you guys?", I heard him say.

"No", I mumbled but someone spoke over me.

"Sure, man", it was Euriah. Leave it to him to be nice to everyone.

Justin walked around and introduced himself to everyone taking his time to shake my hand. "Nice to meet you, Stephanie", he said in a voice I'm sure was meant to seduce middle aged women into prostitution.

I scowled, "Yeah. Real pleasure", taking my hand back before he decided to do something cheeky like kiss my knuckles or something.

He smiled, unaffected by my curtness and moved to Chris. "Hey, man", he greeted him familiarly. "What's up? Didn't know you were here".

"Oh, yeah. I moved here last week", Chris said as though he had forgotten to mention it. That dummy.

Before they had the chance to get overly chummy I interjected, "So, can we use the park now or is it still off limits?". This whole thing had me irritated all over again.

"Sorry, about that. I thought people knew I was coming", he said rubbing his neck the way Chris does but it was nowhere near as cute as when Chris did it. Wait. Did I just- no, no, no. I didn't just think that.

"Sorry, I don't stalk you on Twitter", I chirped sarcastically.

Justin looked offended. Bitch. Chris noticed the tension and attempted to play peacemaker. "Sorry, she's grumpy from earlier. Didn't take her vitamins", he said with a nervous laugh.

I looked at him like he had an eye sprouting from his nostril. "Smooth". I took off for the park, relieved to see it vacant. Dropping off into the bowl I felt all my anger subside and I was once again one with the world. Ky joined me in the bowl while Euriah went straight for the half pipe. Chris was slow-poking with Bieber but I no longer cared. The sound of my board rolling across the pavement was enough to calm me.

"Steph", Ry called from the top of the half pipe, "race you".

"You're on, Anderson!", I said joining him on the ramp. "Ky! You're the ref", I said pointing to my friend who was watching by the side of the bowl. Chris and Justin had joined him and were watching intently along with some fans.

I readied myself for my take off. "Ready!", Ky said as loud as his calm voice ever got which was about as loud as normal talking to other people. "Set... Go!". Ry and I sped off and I was instantly in he lead.

When I reached the top Ry called out, "And back!". I laughed and turned slowly for him to catch up before dropping in effortlessly.

It was a beautiful thing to skate during the evening. The sun was low and the breeze was warm. It was simply amazing.

After beating Euriah, I dropped down and walked over to Chris. "You should try the ramp", I smiled. He'd probably love it. I mean it was just like snowboarding down a hill. "But not on that", I said grabbing the cheap board and handing him my HUF. "It gets wobble wheel and I don't wanna be liable for you breaking your face".

Chris chuckled and bit his lip to think. I know it was totally innocent but it was too hot for reason. "Alright, I'll try it. But if I get hurt", he said climbing the ramp, "you're buying me fro-yo".

I laughed. Why was he so goofy. "Sure thing", I said sarcastically but giving him a thumbs up for good luck.

He returned the gesture and smiled broadly. He was simply too adorable. A soft sigh left my lips and I hoped it went unnoticed. Chris looked at me one more time before dropping in and I swear I connected to him in that brief moment because it felt like the world slowed down and it was just the two of us. My breath hitched and my heart stopped. He cleared it.

The breath I'd been holding released itself. In the split second before the drop and right after I was sure he was gonna face plant but thank goodness he didn't.

It was about a quarter after nine when we all decided to leave. Justin said goodbye to us and if you wouldn't believe it, he wasn't as big an idiot as I made him out to be initially. He was actually really cool.

Chris and I drove to our neighborhood in silence. It was safe to say we were both exhausted. I pulled into my driveway only to find that Chris had fallen asleep. He looked so adorable asleep and it reminded me of the night he fell asleep in my den. My insides fluttered at the memory but I coolly shook them off.

"Chris", I cooed softly. "Chris, wake up", I urged but he didn't stir. "Chris", I said more sternly, "if you don't get up now I will leave you in this car".

"But I don't wanna walk all the way home", he mumbled his voice barely audible. "It's so far".

"Sucks to be you doesn't it?", I said with a chuckle.

He started moving so I got out and closed the door. When I looked back in I saw he had only put the seat down and curled up in a ball. Really? I walked over to his side but he was fast asleep. His eyelashes fluttered then still like a child's does when they've been fighting sleep.

It made me think, had he been tired and not said anything because he didn't want to seem rude. This guy who was beyond polite. First swimming in the ocean now staying up when he knows he's tired. Wow. And seeing him now, he looked so sweet and innocent. He really was a rare item.