Roads

I curled up next to Chris on my couch in the den. We had left the party a long time ago and now it was just he and I. We had been sitting in a comfortable silence, our fingers intertwined.

It felt so good to finally be open with him about my feelings and we were able to do it without saying a single word. He had an arm around my shoulders his arm tracing my own his hand curling around my fist. I kept my face buried in his chest. He smelled so good, like Axe and soap. The scent was intoxicating.

"What are you two doing up so late?", my dad's voice boomed down the stairs. He wasn't angry just tired. He had been pulling long days at work lately and wasn't getting much sleep.

I broke apart from Chris too quickly. His warmth left my body and all I wanted to do was pull him close again. I snuggled close to him and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder protectively. We were silent for a while both of us lost in thought.

I was the one the break the silence. "I like kissing you", that had to be the lamest thing I could have said. I mentally face palmed.

Chris chuckled kindly. It was such a nice sound I wanted to hear it over and over again. "I like kissing you too", he smiled broadly poking my side playfully.

I paused before speaking, picking my words carefully. "So... what does this mean?", I was still so conflicted about my feelings. The logical part of my brain fought for order and definitive answers, but I knew there was nothing orderly or definite about relationships. Whether Chris and I became official or not wouldn't solidify our future as stable, I mean, we were exact opposites for crying out loud. Chris is optimistic and caring, while I'm realistic and skeptical. He's nice when I want to tear someone's face off. I'm like fire and he's ice. That's why I would always be afraid we wouldn't have a good chance at a lasting relationship.

"I want you to be my girlfriend", he said bluntly. I was shocked by how matter-of-fact he was. "You're the only person I want to talk to when I'm not happy. Every time I go to sleep I wish I was holding you. When I hug you I never want to let go even when my heart is racing a thousand- no, a million miles a second. I don't think I've ever liked someone so much and when you're gone, especially Fridays from school, I don't know what to do with myself. Sometimes it's scary how much I think about you and I'm always afraid you don't like me the way I like you-", this whole time he'd been so consumed in his own words and I'd been hooked on each one as well but there was no doubt I felt for him the exact same way he felt for me.

"Chris, I feel the exact same way as you", I assured him. This entire time we had been looking out at the sea but I turned so I could look into his eyes. Something in my core flipped and warmed and a shiver ran down my spine. Yep, i definitely felt the way he did. "Don't ever doubt that", his eyes looked so alive even in the dark. I reached out and touched his cheek running the pad of my thumb over the soft skin. I bet he has softer skin than me even. I smiled at the thought. This guy, so soft and gentle liked me, the rough tomboy from Wisconsin.

"Are you sure?", his voice was a whisper and I could hear a small plea woven into it, his eyes downcast uncertain.

I nodded gingerly. "I'm sure".

His eyes, dark aqua in the dim light, flickered up and met mine. "Then be my girlfriend", he said the words so boldly it contrasted with his usual tenderness. I must have taken too long because he started bouncing his leg up and down. "You're making me nervous", he breathed with a playful smile but I could tell he was really nervous.

"Alright", the word was a soft, barely audible little thing.

"You will?", he sounded shocked.

A giggle arose from my lips. "Yes", I confirmed. "I'll be your girlfriend".