It's Not a Date

After In-N-Out Burger Chris and I decided we really wanted Starbucks but the original plan was to go to the mall so I parked in the mall parking lot and we walked to Starbucks.

"Why did we choose to walk again?", Chris whined. Sometimes, he really made me want to punch him.

"Because, it's a nice day out and I'm not using all of my gas driving back and forth", I rolled my eyes at him.

Chris pouted. "Hey", he was pointing at a man across the street holding a camera. Paparazzi.

I waved a hand dismissively, "Ignore 'em".

It seemed Chris couldn't do as I said, so taking him by the hand I drug him across the street into the awaiting Starbucks. Seeing paparazzi stalking me didn't bother me. I knew they'd start following me with all of the publicity I was getting so I made it a goal not to let it get under my skin.

When we left the creepy photographer was gone but I didn't feel much like shopping.

"Christian", I said sweetly, "can we not go shopping?".

Chris raised an eyebrow suspiciously at me, probably for calling him by his full name. "Sure. What do you want to do, then?", he was looking directly into my eyes which made me squirm as butterflies bat their wings at my stomach.

I walked on letting my eyes wander into different shops. I'm not the shy type but his eyes on me made me want to curl into a tight ball and roll away. "I don't know. Can we go watch a movie or something?", okay, it really sounded like I was asking him on a date, but I wasn't I swear.

"Yeah, that new Transformers is out. It looks good", he said and for a second I let my gaze flick over to him. He was looking straight ahead and I inwardly sighed in relief. I stole a chance to just look at him letting my eyes roll over his chiseled face down his jaw and up his profile to his perfect rosey lips that sat so neatly under his straight nose and finally at his eyes, surrounded by long dark eyelashes. He really is attractive.

He caught me staring and I turned my face away blushing like mad. I hoped he wouldn't say anything and just drop the fact that I was totally just checking him out. "That sounds good", I stuttered feeling like a complete idiot. I was caught staring at him like some starved vulture. Oh, the horror!

Chris chuckled, "You know, if you stare at me like that I'll just have to stare back", his words made my breath hitch in my chest but he continued. "And good, because I wanna see it with you".

Oh, goodness! I couldn't breathe. I was going to die right here, ironically, in front of the theater. Chris wanted to see a movie but not just see it, he wanted to see it with me. He led me into the theater, his hand on the small of my back. Yep. I'm dying. Slowly, and lovely, dying.

Everything went by in such a blur after that. Chris was snapping his fingers in front of my face. "Hey, you still alive?", he laughed at his own joke.

No, I'm not alive you dummy! I'm on the brink of a beautiful death, you and your boyish charm are killing me. I wanted to shout this at the top of my lungs but I settled for a nod.

Chris drove home because I was still so out of it, but could you blame me! No girl can withstand what I went through with minimal effect. Hell! I think a few guys would have some difficulty too.

Vanessa and Dad were gone when we got back to my house. I didn't even have to invite Chris in, he just followed. There was a note on the TV from Dad and Vanessa for me.

Be back by midnight.

Food is in the oven.

Love you,

Daddy & Nessa ♡

What was today that they'd be back so late? It wasn't their anniversary, Dragon Lady made sure to be cliché and had the wedding on Valentine's Day. What was it? I checked the calendar and my eyes nearly popped out of my skull. Prom night and Dad and Vanessa were chaperoning.

I heard Chris behind me. Spinning around to ask him if he knew about prom being tonight I was nearly struck dead with shock. Chris was holding two pink prom tickets with a shy smile on his face. Oh, Lord, have mercy on my delicate little heart. It was beating so fast I was sure it was going to break free of my chest.

"Stephanie", Chris began, "will you..."

ººº

Aren't I horrible? I'll be uploading the next chapter very soon. In the meantime, let your mind wonder of all the infinite possibilities that await. Have fun!