Icebreaker: Social Media

I slid through my front door and upstairs to my room. I knew my dad would be pissed so I avoided him at all costs and got ready. Tonight we were inviting the Collins' out to dinner, well, I was. I didn't understand why since they were just here but my father was treating us all to a night out at Vince's.

I decided to take a quick shower because if was already 5:30 and I knew Dad would want to eat soon. It was 6:00 when I exited my bathroom. Lazily, I gazed around my room for my makeup carrier. It was a black and white polka dot satin bag I'd bought off Amazon. Spotting it across the room already at my vanity center I picked out an outfit from my closet. My collection of tanks and skinny jeans was too immense to find something dressy right away. I settled on a royal blue linen racer back tank, faded light skinny jeans, a white leather jacket and white leather heels.

Silver jewelry fit best but I added some gold bangles and a thin gold chain to accent the silver cross pendant necklace. I slipped two sets of diamond earrings in and changed the bar to my industrial. Rushing, I applied eyeliner and filled in my brows and touched up my lips with bright red gloss. Finally, I put some mascara on, dipped my hand in my ring drawer, and let my hair out of the messy bun I had it in letting my curls down.

I gave myself a once-over in the mirror, and making last second adjustments, before hurrying across the yard to let our neighbors know the plan.

Rapping lightly on the door I waited for an answer. I silently praised Chris didn't answer. My prayers were answered when a girl, maybe a few years younger than me, opened the door. She had bright eyes like her brother and the same brown hair. Karisma, I think was her name if I remembered correctly.

"Karisma?", I said unsure but she didn't say no so I continued, "Are your parents home?".

She nodded and disappeared. I guess she was a little shy. Mrs. Collins reappeared in her place. "Hi, Stephanie! What brings you over?", she beamed at me. The hell was she so happy for?

I smiled in return trying not to seem rude although I really just wanted to blow this whole dinner thing off for some late night skating. "I hope you guys haven't made dinner yet", I said sounding wishful when in reality I was hoping she made a five course meal for the Queen and her subjects and made sure everyone had eaten it all.

"I was just about to actually", she laughed as though it was the most uncanny thing ever. Yeah, real coinky-dink, I mentally rolled my eyes.

Darn. "My family and I", had to make sure I said that according to Madame Vanessa, "would like to invite you guys out to dinner. My dad owns a restaurant near here and the food's amazing! So, what do you say?". Jeez, even I was believing I wanted them to come. Maybe I should become an actress.

"We say yes! And thank you very much for the invitation", Mr. Collins said from behind his wife.

"Alright, how does 8:00 sound since it's already 7:00", I asked although it didn't matter.

They both smiled at me, "Sounds great. See you at 8:00".

I bound back over to my own home kind of disappointed I hadn't seen Chris. I wonder if he'd come to the dinner. What was I thinking? I didn't care either way. It's not like I like the guy. I mean he is attractive and sweet and funny but I do not like him... I'm not sounding very convincing right now. Am I?

I walked into the living room to find Dad waiting for me. He didn't look pissed but I could tell he was. My dad sucks at hiding his feelings from me.

"Did they say yes?", he asked coolly.

"Yes sir. I asked them if 8:00 was okay".

My dad's face twisted into a loud pout. "8:00! I'm gonna starve!", he whined. Wow, he so dramatic.