Smile

By CJ_Rogers

Stephanie is your everyday tomboy in LA. Rich, pretty, and smart, Stephanie has the whole package buy what ha... More

New Neighbors
Fun in Unexpected Places
SKATE
Blossoms on the Beach
Lovely Betrayal
First for Hurt
Celeb Parking Only
Rare Hearts
Business Plan
Teaser
Surprised Encounters
Broken Bones
I Like You
Chance Encounter
Bennie's
Two-Heart Bond
Business Before Pleasure
Intimidation
His Eyes
New Attitude
It's a Party. Or Nah
Got 'im
Plans
Something Missed
Rekindling Flame
It's Not a Date
Authors Note!
Hospital Visit
Movers
Fight or Flight
Revelation
New York
WTF
A Kiss to Forget
Homebound
Home Sweet Home
Interrupted
Authors Note!
First
Roads
The Start of Something New
BOOM!!

Icebreaker: Social Media

264 5 0
By CJ_Rogers

I slid through my front door and upstairs to my room. I knew my dad would be pissed so I avoided him at all costs and got ready. Tonight we were inviting the Collins' out to dinner, well, I was. I didn't understand why since they were just here but my father was treating us all to a night out at Vince's.

I decided to take a quick shower because if was already 5:30 and I knew Dad would want to eat soon. It was 6:00 when I exited my bathroom. Lazily, I gazed around my room for my makeup carrier. It was a black and white polka dot satin bag I'd bought off Amazon. Spotting it across the room already at my vanity center I picked out an outfit from my closet. My collection of tanks and skinny jeans was too immense to find something dressy right away. I settled on a royal blue linen racer back tank, faded light skinny jeans, a white leather jacket and white leather heels.

Silver jewelry fit best but I added some gold bangles and a thin gold chain to accent the silver cross pendant necklace. I slipped two sets of diamond earrings in and changed the bar to my industrial. Rushing, I applied eyeliner and filled in my brows and touched up my lips with bright red gloss. Finally, I put some mascara on, dipped my hand in my ring drawer, and let my hair out of the messy bun I had it in letting my curls down.

I gave myself a once-over in the mirror, and making last second adjustments, before hurrying across the yard to let our neighbors know the plan.

Rapping lightly on the door I waited for an answer. I silently praised Chris didn't answer. My prayers were answered when a girl, maybe a few years younger than me, opened the door. She had bright eyes like her brother and the same brown hair. Karisma, I think was her name if I remembered correctly.

"Karisma?", I said unsure but she didn't say no so I continued, "Are your parents home?".

She nodded and disappeared. I guess she was a little shy. Mrs. Collins reappeared in her place. "Hi, Stephanie! What brings you over?", she beamed at me. The hell was she so happy for?

I smiled in return trying not to seem rude although I really just wanted to blow this whole dinner thing off for some late night skating. "I hope you guys haven't made dinner yet", I said sounding wishful when in reality I was hoping she made a five course meal for the Queen and her subjects and made sure everyone had eaten it all.

"I was just about to actually", she laughed as though it was the most uncanny thing ever. Yeah, real coinky-dink, I mentally rolled my eyes.

Darn. "My family and I", had to make sure I said that according to Madame Vanessa, "would like to invite you guys out to dinner. My dad owns a restaurant near here and the food's amazing! So, what do you say?". Jeez, even I was believing I wanted them to come. Maybe I should become an actress.

"We say yes! And thank you very much for the invitation", Mr. Collins said from behind his wife.

"Alright, how does 8:00 sound since it's already 7:00", I asked although it didn't matter.

They both smiled at me, "Sounds great. See you at 8:00".

I bound back over to my own home kind of disappointed I hadn't seen Chris. I wonder if he'd come to the dinner. What was I thinking? I didn't care either way. It's not like I like the guy. I mean he is attractive and sweet and funny but I do not like him... I'm not sounding very convincing right now. Am I?

I walked into the living room to find Dad waiting for me. He didn't look pissed but I could tell he was. My dad sucks at hiding his feelings from me.

"Did they say yes?", he asked coolly.

"Yes sir. I asked them if 8:00 was okay".

My dad's face twisted into a loud pout. "8:00! I'm gonna starve!", he whined. Wow, he so dramatic.

I stared at him blankly,  "Really, Dad".

He ignored me and got up to look for Vanessa, probably to make him a sandwich. He was so lost without food. "Nessa! I need food. Make me a sandwich?".

How did I know? I plopped down onto the soft white sofa, "Two, please?".

"Two!", he corrected. He turned to me and whispered, "Chicken or pastrami?".

"How about chicken and bacon?", I said more enthused. I love bacon.

His eyes lit up and he hugged my neck from behind squishing his face against mine. "I knew you were my daughter! My lovely bacon eating daughter!", and with that he disappeared.

I laughed. What a strange man. His previous anger forgotten and all he had in his mind was food. We waited a while eating our sandwiches Vanessa made and watched Diego Sanchez beat the living hell from some Irish guy.

The Collins' arrived shortly after we did. I was happy we'd gotten a large table because they had a big family. Four kids and two adults. Whew! I can only imagine how big their house must be on the inside. I mean our house is pretty huge but theirs has to hold twice as many people and I'm sure they had a guest room.

While waiting for our food the adults chatted it up discussing economy and other boring topics. Kirsten and I, the oldest girl, found out we had quite a bit in common but she didn't seem like one of the people I'd hang out with. We were pretty much quiet after that until I had had enough. Silence drives me crazy.

"Alright, this is boring!", I said throwing up my hands dramatically. I turned to the adults who all looked equally shocked and amused. "Excuse me, but you guys are boring and these guys", I waved at the teens before me, "are boring. This whole thing is boring". I was feeling spastic. Giving all my attention to Dad I gave him my best puppy dog face, "Daddy, please, can we get a booth. Just for us. You guys stay here and talk about the fiscal cliff and all that, but I can't take it".

By now the Collins kids were stifling laughter, which I didn't mind as long as they weren't all staring at their phones being awkward. My dad was trying not to laugh himself when he waved me off. I rolled my eyes in n exasperated way and got up signaling for the others to follow.

"Aye, yo, Isabel, we're going to booth 517, bring our food there please", I instructed our waitress.

I didn't wait for her response, I just sat down. Everyone filed in, Chris across from me -this I found unnerving and nice at the same time - Kirsten beside him and Karisma by her, and Crawford sat on the same side as me.

"Alright", I began, "I know you guys are outgoing and fun so please, don't let the vines be a lie", I pleaded.

"You watch our vines?", Chris asked dubiously.

"And follow you on YouTube and Twitter and Instagram and Facebook", I laughed feeling a heart rise to my cheeks. I probably seemed like a stalker now.

Crawford lit up a bit and smiled his adorable dimpled smile, "What's your user? I'll follow you".

"Yeah, me too", Chris chimed.

I could gave died, but I didn't because they're just normal people like me, just a little more well known. After the ice was broken we all talked like friends and for a while it was nice. In the middle of our meal Chris slid over to Crawford and my side where we were watching vines. He sat beside me so I was in the middle of them which made me lose focus a lot because he was so close I could smell him and may I just say, he smells amazing. Karisma ended up getting tired and Kirsten took her home. After dinner the rest of us went to our place. The guys and I played games until our eyes hurt and then watched movies.

"What do you guys wanna watch? I have probably any movie you can think of", I did tying my thick waves up in a high ponytail. I had just changed into something more comfortable since I really hated wearing jeans for a long period of time. I changed into a pair of white basketball shorts and a yellow cutoff. Much better.

Crawford crawled on the floor and started digging through the movies in the cases. "What about Transformers?", he asked holding  up the case of the first movie.

"Sure. Whatever you guys wanna watch", I plopped down on the sofa Chris was currently sitting on but I sat on the far end as to not give him any ideas. It wasn't that I thought he would try anything I just didn't want him to think I liked him or anything. That would be weird.

"Chris?", Crawford waved the plastic in front of his brother's face. Chris had zoned out, staring at his phone. It was sorta cute when he spaced out.

Chris' head snapped up. "Huh?", he asked absentmindedly. I wonder what had him so distracted.

"Dude", Crawford said dully. "You wanna watch Transformers or nah?".

Chris' eyes flickered over to me before doing to his phone again. He shrugged shaking his head nonchalantly. "Sure", wow, he must need talking to his girlfriend or something. The thought stung more than it should have.

I shook off my disappointment as Crawford slipped the disc into the player. It wasn't any of my business what Chris was doing, I mean, he's just my neighbor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 4.6K 39
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
1.9M 85.4K 192
"Oppa", she called. "Yes, princess", seven voices replied back. It's a book about pure sibling bond. I don't own anything except the storyline.
212K 6.1K 73
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
191K 6.8K 96
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...